DevStrike Launches the Warships in Movies Club with a Movie of the Month on April 1

Admiral_Karasu

PRIORITY ALPHA MESSAGE from Grand Moth Karasu

On April 1, DevStrike is launching the 'Warships in Movies' club with a 'Movie of the Month' section (yes it's 'month' not 'moth', there is assuredly no typo in it) for any and all community members to join and contribute to.

image.jpeg.d02d53d4662c408b260a92ffaf64bd1b.jpeg

The general idea is that we watch a movie, typically something to do with warships, sometimes about a battle, sometimes not about a battle, and the movies that we see all have to be available to public view for free. Often these are older movies, so expect no CGI, and there will also be 'ship actors' in those movies standing in for the actual historical ships.

The initiative for this club comes from @I_cant_Swim_ and I've also become entangled in this in the form of the first club leader. By the most curious coincidence, the club mascot we have is a white moth, and from there I get my title as the 'Grand Moth'.

As you may know, a white moth features prominently in cinematic history being part of a pivotal scene in what could loosely, make that very loosely... be termed a 'Christmas movie', though perhaps less so than the Wizard of Oz or the It's a Wonderful Life. Furyo is, nonetheless, a cult classic, though it does not have warships in it, of course.

At this point I'm not sure if I will need to manually accept anyone wanting to join the club or if it's automatic. If that's required, I'm not online 24 hours but I'll get to that at the earliest possible opportunity.

The Movie of the Month can be found in the DevStrike! ClanBase. Click here to visit, and see my pick for Movie of the Month!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• I_cant_Swim_ changed the title to DevStrike Launches the Warships in Movies Club with a Movie of the Month on April 1
  • I_cant_Swim_ featured this topic

I've never seen this flik.  It stars my waifu Salem playing Adm. Graf Spee.  The shots are wonderful.

• Like 3

this is cool, but why is there like 4 posts instead of one, which one should I even comment

5 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

this is cool, but why is there like 4 posts instead of one, which one should I even comment

Hmm.. this isn't a locked topic, so you can freely comment on anything you like. This thread is essentially an advertisement for the club Warships in Movies and the Movie of the Month concept we are doing.

Mates, the first month of the Warships in Movies Club is still ongoing, and there's still time to watch the first Movie of the Month too, and discuss the movie. I sort of finally, too, managed to get the banner to more or less look suitable. If you still haven't checked the club out, feel welcome to have a look if it's your wicked cup of tea.

Grand Moth Karasu

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, DDG44_Vet said:

Hello @Admiral_Karasu, have you selected a movie for May yet?

Hi DDG44_Vet,

Thanks for asking. I put the poll up in General chat, not sure where it would get the most exposure. We have a few votes in and they are leaning towards one of the five movies that I put up for voting.

You can find the poll here:

On 4/1/2024 at 3:03 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

available to public view for free

You had me there, I have a habit of looking for free stuff to add to my collection.

Good thing my hoarding tendencies lies in mostly digital content.

• Like 1

• I_cant_Swim_ unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Topic needs a re-direct to the current film.

Oh, there's one in the OP.

1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Topic needs a re-direct to the current film.

Oh, there's one in the OP.

Hmm.. the current film can always be found here:

https://www.devstrike.net/forum/174-movie-of-the-month/

I'll be announcing the June movie soonish, probably tomorrow. Don't hold your breath in suspense cause it's going to be kind of predictable.

4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Saving Seaman Ryan? 

I respond to this with a measure of incredulity. You can also imagine here one of the LA Noire response options.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you need to stick to the nautical theme.  The movie Zulu is terrific.

Perhaps some will find a "Midway" position of compromise?  😉 

On 6/19/2024 at 3:32 AM, iDuckman said:

I don't know if you need to stick to the nautical theme.  The movie Zulu is terrific.

On 6/19/2024 at 3:56 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Perhaps some will find a "Midway" position of compromise?  😉 

Hmm... well, technically it is "Warships in Movies" but... I guess it's always possible to arrange a mix up with the film reels or something, completely by accident, of course if our most prestigious club members won't be too upset about it.

image.jpeg.fc5d130d410cf0b671c5b7ab9b5c97d9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Hmm... well, technically it is "Warships in Movies" but... I guess it's always possible to arrange a mix up with the film reels or something, completely by accident, of course if our most prestigious club members won't be too upset about it.

image.jpeg.fc5d130d410cf0b671c5b7ab9b5c97d9.jpeg

I think everyone's seen multiple versions of Midway.  Some really good, admittedly. I wonder how many have seen Zulu?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I wonder how many have seen Zulu?

More times than I can count...

On 6/18/2024 at 6:32 PM, iDuckman said:

hmmm ZULU is based of a true event at rokes drift in africa  where does the water come into it , unless your refering the bucket loads they used to try put the the fire out in the hospital 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 12:26 PM, iDuckman said:

Saving Seaman Ryan? 

it actualy called saving ryan's privates 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

hmmm ZULU is based of a true event at rokes drift in africa  where does the water come into it , unless your refering the bucket loads they used to try put the the fire out in the hospital 

Rorke's Drift is located near the Buffalo River.  Lt. Chard (Royal Engineers) was actually left behind to repair the bridge on the river.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Rorke's Drift is located near the Buffalo River.  Lt. Chard (Royal Engineers) was actually left behind to repair the bridge on the river.

So there's a river. Good, that's a start at least.

• Like 1