Automobile discussion thread

New_Jersey_prpr

1 minute ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

In China 80% cars have too small of an engine because the gov charges expensive tax (annualy) for everything over 2.5 liter.

Wow.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Wow.

GM once tried to put 1.3 liter engine (it's confusing since the base 1.5 liter engine is already small, just enough to make the car go 0-60 in under 10 secs) into Buick Lacrosse in China, but they soon found out it's a bad decision so secretly got rid of them at a very low price.

Many affordable cars got their displacement capped at 2.0 liter, only a few gets bigger engines but MOST are under 2.5 liter. Those who possesses even bigger engines are significantly more expensive due to high tax rate applied to them.

I just mentioned that GM is bringing fullsize Chevy to China, in contrast to V8s or I6s used in NA, the Chinese version gets 2.7 liter engine (yes, GM even made a special version for China) used on bare bone versions of GM pickups, because V8 would make the car too expensive to attract any buyer (not because V8 engines are expensive, it's because the tax rate for cars that have engines bigger than 4.0 liter is 40%).

image.thumb.jpeg.a83131b97d9b666e074d41935bf1a852.jpeg

Edited by New_Jersey_prpr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I've ever driven anything that has 2.5 liter engine. Max 2.0, prior to that ranging from 1.3 (Corolla) upwards.

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I don't think I've ever driven anything that has 2.5 liter engine. Max 2.0, prior to that ranging from 1.3 (Corolla) upwards.

I've driven the military equivalent of Tractor-Trailer rigs, and actual commercial Tractor-Trailer rigs as my occupation as a Commercially Licensed Driver for a number of decades.

The largest engine I've had in a personal vehicle was a 2.0L, though. 
It was a 2000 Hyundai Elantra station wagon, 5-speed manual, with "mystic-teal" paint color.

https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/Logistics_Vehicle_System

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Back in my teens years my brother had a Range Rover conversion to a 350 engine (that's 5.7 lts). Honestly it wasn't a very fortunate conversion as you could blow up the transmission if you were not careful... teenagers are not careful. 

I had a Toyota Land Cruiser with a 4.5 liter engine, also a Chevy Malibu 1980 with a V8 350, a Ford Silverado pick up also a V8 350 (it was my grandad's but I got to drive it a lot)... looking back, 350s were very popular, back in the 80s-90s in Venezuela, gas prices were not an issue so it wasn't uncommon for young folks to get a car an put in the biggest engine that could fit... and believe me, you'll drive it pedal to the metal and high rev as much as possible, safety regulations be damned and gas consuption was not even a consideration. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The largest engine I've had in a personal vehicle was a 2.0L.

When I was in high school, my parents had a 1970 Chevy station wagon with a 454 big block V8 in it. Those were the days when the family car could double as a farm truck.

Edit: That would be 7.4 liters in modern lingo.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Those were the days when the family car could double as a farm truck.

When I used to rent cars in different cities, I had a saying: "There's no place a 4-wheel drive can go that a rental car can't."  The stories I could tell personally, and those of colleagues' driving styles regarding rental cars, are hilarious.

Never in a million years would a buy a rental car when they finally dump them on the open market.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Back in my teens years my brother had a Range Rover conversion to a 350 engine (that's 5.7 lts). Honestly it wasn't a very fortunate conversion as you could blow up the transmission if you were not careful... teenagers are not careful. 

I had a Toyota Land Cruiser with a 4.5 liter engine, also a Chevy Malibu 1980 with a V8 350, a Ford Silverado pick up also a V8 350 (it was my grandad's but I got to drive it a lot)... looking back, 350s were very popular, back in the 80s-90s in Venezuela, gas prices were not an issue so it wasn't uncommon for young folks to get a car an put in the biggest engine that could fit... and believe me, you'll drive it pedal to the metal and high rev as much as possible, safety regulations be damned and gas consuption was not even a consideration. 

9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

When I was in high school, my parents had a 1970 Chevy station wagon with a 454 big block V8 in it. Those were the days when the family car could double as a farm truck.

Edit: That would be 7.4 liters in modern lingo.

image.jpeg.953b9799edaec9052741b99380f65b0e.jpeg

image.jpeg.69de77097644231966a82d14d328fb2e.jpeg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

Never in a million years would a buy a rental car when they finally dump them on the open market.

I occasionally watch an off-road towing channel. They are always going to pick up rental cars that have finally fallen apart thirty miles up a jeep trail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I occasionally watch an off-road towing channel. They are always going to pick up rental cars that have finally fallen apart thirty miles up a jeep trail.

😄

On 5/18/2024 at 7:35 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've driven the military equivalent of Tractor-Trailer rigs, and actual commercial Tractor-Trailer rigs as my occupation as a Commercially Licensed Driver for a number of decades.

Many people America drive above speed limit, does the same applies to large trucks?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

Many people America drive above speed limit, does the same applies to large trucks?

That depends upon the driver and the vehicle in question.

Some companies install a "governor" feature on their fleet of trucks, so that the truck cannot exceed a certain speed.
Example:  while I was employed at <company name redacted>, their trucks had a maximum speed of 67 miles per hour.

Some companies do that, and offer fuel economy incentives in payment to the driver.  
Example:  Do not exceed 60 miles per hour and keep the truck at 55 miles per hour most of the time when driving on Interstate Highways, and the company will reward with "fuel bonus" pay.  (Actual details vary, but both Swift and Schneider did this practice for a while in the 1990's.)  The idea is that the driver will prefer to get the money and thus only use the actual top-speed capabilities of the vehicle when absolutely necessary.  

Other trucks are owned & operated by an individual, known by the term "Owner/operator", and that person may decide that they want their truck not to be limited.  So the truck is capable of doing whatever speed the engine & drive-train can accomplish under ideal conditions.

With satellite communications systems, such as those provided by Qualcomm, real-time messages and vehicle telemetry can be provided to dispachers and maintenance personnel of large companies.  Some companies also utilize the capability to send slow-down and/or shut-down commands to the vehicle through that communication system for anti-theft purposes and/or to remain in compliance with Hours-of-Service regulations for drivers.
It's been a while since I've changed my career path and moved-on from driving tractor-trailers for a living.
So, there may be additional features that I'm not aware of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just saw this on Car and Driver. Average age of cars in US has rised to 14 yrs.

When long term ownership is a norm, people will naturally look for more reliable vehicles. However I see a worrying trend that some people blindly go for EV just because of some automakers' attractive advertisement and gov's discount policy, none of them think about reliability when purchasing. (And if you talk about it some will say "you are behind the trend, EV is the future" or some other crap like that.)

Many of the first PHEVs (about 6~8 yrs old now) has already disappeared from roads, EVs will very likely repeat the same. I don't think half of them can survive 8 yrs.

image.thumb.png.32be77883f123c087a341526807ebe2b.pngimage.thumb.png.6f09a15fb64b1cb20aace5778fa2ad2d.png

• Thanks 1

Electric vehicles aren't new. There were electric cars back in the 1800s. There have been hybrid electrics ever since. "Diesel" locomotives are actually diesel-electric because electrical engines simply work better for rail operations. There is a new diesel-electric semi that's being produced that shows a lot of potential too.

The problem with all-electric cars is, of course, the battery. Electrical motors can last for decades. I have an electrical room fan that my great-grandma bought just after WWII. Unfortunately, batteries have about a ten-year maximum lifespan.

If governments were serious about electrical cars then they would mandate an easily-replaceable, standardized battery pack. However, I've seen no sign of this. Most manufacturers are cutting back on electric vehicle production as it's clear that the public really doesn't want them. I don't believe that I've ever seen an electric vehicle locally. The reason likely being that the nearest charger is a hundred miles away.

TOKYO, April 25 (Reuters) -- Toyota will delay the start of its electric vehicle (EV) production in the U.S. to the spring of 2026 from the proposed 2025 timing, the Mid Japan Economist newspaper said on Thursday. The automaker will also reduce its domestic vehicle production to less than 14,000 vehicles per day by September this year.

new tab

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 6:35 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

The largest engine I've had in a personal vehicle was a 2.0L, though. 
It was a 2000 Hyundai Elantra station wagon, 5-speed manual, with "mystic-teal" paint color.

https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/Logistics_Vehicle_System

Yeah, the Oshkosh M-911 with a M-747 trailer....  Tanks, tanks and more tanks we moved.  Of course, I was licensed;  but,  almost never was allowed actually drive one........the rank thingy again.

12L V-8 and all terrain drive capabilities.   We never, ever got one stuck.  And, friends own surplus ones for moving all sorts of Wind Energy "stuff" where normal semi's can't get to....

I actually learned to back trailers on that truck.  It's a hoot but, not something I'd do for a living....

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Asym said:

Of course, I was licensed;  but,  almost never was allowed actually drive one........the rank thingy again.

Other than the first jeep and sedan license that I actually had a test for, all my other military licenses were pretty much "Think you can figure out how to drive that? OK, here let me sign off on your license." I drove around in a M110 once until I finally hit a rock. The sergeant major said, "Dammit, Doc, you hit a rock!" I said, "Yeah, with a tank." He just laughed and told me to get out of that thing because medics weren't supposed to be driving around in crew-served weapons anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Other than the first jeep and sedan license that I actually had a test for, all my other military licenses were pretty much "Think you can figure out how to drive that? OK, here let me sign off on your license." I drove around in a M110 once until I finally hit a rock. The sergeant major said, "Dammit, Doc, you hit a rock!" I said, "Yeah, with a tank." He just laughed and told me to get out of that thing because medics weren't supposed to be driving around in crew-served weapons anyway.

Yeah, got a butt chewing when I showed up at Fort Pickett driving a gamma goat after the assigned driver decided to have alcohol of his breath and his platoon sergeant simply didn't have anyone else licensed...  I was, so I unpinned my Rank from my CVC's and drove it.........till the Battalion Commander saw me pull into the Pickett ECS and, had a word or two or three with me.......then, it was the CSM's turn.  

BTW, the Battalion Commander was going to play this game, with the rest of the Regimental team we have.....  I was their Scout and he didn't like what I saw in the Cruiser Line Split and the entire team went to another game.  He retired a LTG and still plays today (a few nights a week....)  We have quite a collection of Officers and Senior NCO's...  Several CSM's and two CW-5's !  One of which was my Depot chief when I was a BMO (Seperate Battalion so I had Depot, GS and DS capabilities...)

Now, a M110 I have never even been around - other than the Eisenhower Museum in Abilene !  And, they have a M48A5 I actually may have tested in the 1980's (vin number is in the range of the tanks we tested.....!!!)  Oh my, I loved those tanks.

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

Just now, Asym said:

Yeah, got a butt chewing when I showed up at Fort Pickett driving a gamma goat.

I was usually assigned to a battery with a CO and XO that I had a pretty good rapport with because I always looked around for things that needed done and helped out if I could. I made a deal with the XO that I'd drive his gamma goat in exchange for being able to use it as my medical headquarters. I got an extra stretcher and we laid them cross-ways across the rails and had us a nice little camper out of the rain and away from the ants and snakes. Those gamma goats were noisy as all get out and would try to shake you apart if you rode in the trailer section, which was why I wanted to drive one rather than ride in the back of one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I was usually assigned to a battery with a CO and XO that I had a pretty good rapport with because I always looked around for things that needed done and helped out if I could. I made a deal with the XO that I'd drive his gamma goat in exchange for being able to use it as my medical headquarters. I got an extra stretcher and we laid them cross-ways across the rails and had us a nice little camper out of the rain and away from the ants and snakes. Those gamma goats were noisy as all get out and would try to shake you apart if you rode in the trailer section, which was why I wanted to drive one rather than ride in the back of one.

I drove one "once..."  And yes, they were point blank obnoxious to look at and louder than an M1....  I wore ear plugs and ear muffs driving that mess of a vehicle.... 

17 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

8 minutes ago, Asym said:

I drove one "once..."  And yes, they were point blank obnoxious to look at and louder than an M1....  I wore ear plugs and ear muffs driving that mess of a vehicle.... 

I saw one Gamma-Goat while I was in the USMC. 
It was only for a number of minutes on one particular day.
Probably a "timing thing", compared with your career paths.
Anyway, the "noisy" aspect of them is something I do remember.

At the time, we were in or near a motor-pool, so the Gamma-Goat was something of a novelty to me (I was still fairly new, as a Marine).  I wasn't particularly impressed.

But, today I'm comparing the articulated steering concept that was also used in the Mk48/Mk14,Mk15,Mk16Mk17,MK18 steering used in the L.V.S. (Logistics Vehicle System).
https://truck-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/us/M561-Gama-Goat.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gama_Goat

https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/land/mk48.htm

Of course, the LVS was eventually replaced with the (aptly, if unimaginatively, named) LVSR (Logistics Vehicle System Replacement).  https://oshkoshdefense.com/vehicles/heavy-tactical-vehicles/lvsr/

I did find it interesting that the Gamma-Goat was created at the request of the French for use in the Jungles of Vietnam.
That explains... well, a lot, in my opinion.

• Like 2

This is a picture of the only new car I ever had

93 Mustang convertible LX it was a feature car only a few hundred made in canary yellow with a white interior and a 5 speed. It got stolen twice second time totally stripped found under the throngs neck bridge in NY. I loved that car cant believe they stripped it and sold the parts such a waste.   

1993 Ford Mustang LX, Gateway Classic Cars Philadelphia - #067

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

51 minutes ago, clammboy said:

1993 Ford Mustang LX, Gateway Classic Cars Philadelphia - #067

Nice-looking car. I've always liked a yellow/black color scheme, though I've never actually had one because it's rare in pickups.

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2024 at 8:19 AM, Snargfargle said:

I don't believe that I've ever seen an electric vehicle locally. The reason likely being that the nearest charger is a hundred miles away.

EVs are an Urban thingy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a new conventional hybrid about six months ago.  A conventional hybrid was as much toe as I was willing to put into the EV universe - no plug-in.  It was a good choice for me as mileage around town is 31-32 mpg and I don't have to even think about finding a charger.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I bought a new conventional hybrid about six months ago.  A conventional hybrid was as much toe as I was willing to put into the EV universe - no plug-in.  It was a good choice for me as mileage around town is 31-32 mpg and I don't have to even think about finding a charger.  

👍