About stat - jockeys

OT2_2

3 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

60% 21k battles  and cost us the matchSmile_sceptic.gif.97d8c8cbb10e163afd1a67. When I pointed out that he should go to the fighting cap, NOT the easy cap(Ranked, Tears of the Desert), he started bragging about his stats and talking about mine's

Ah, the selfish Ranked DD player... Cares more about securing first place than victory. Quite despicable specimen

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

When I write fast, my "2s" and "7s" look a lot alike. I mentioned this to a fellow grad student from Germany and he showed me how Germans make a tick in a "7" to discern it from a "2." I don't know why this is not taught in American grade schools.

Untitled.jpg

Because some people expect others to more carefully write, or at least transcribe their notes better?  🙂 
"2" is not equal to "7".  🙂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Because some people expect others to more carefully write, or at least transcribe their notes better?  🙂 
"2" is not equal to "7".  🙂 

Here is a collection of "2s," "7s" and "9s" from the National Institutes of Standards database of handwritten digits that is used for training various image processing systems. Note how similar some of them are to each other.

Examples-of-2s-in-the-MNIST-database-fir

Cross-reconstructions-of-7s-and-9s-with-

When I was in Basic, they gave me size 7 dress shoes instead of the size 9 that I was supposed to get. I told the supply sergeant that he'd misread the size but he flat-out refused to go get the right pair of shoes, probably to save face because he didn't want to be seen making a mistake in front of the trainees. I soaked them in hot water and got them to at least fit well enough to wear them for an hour before my feet started getting numb. Fortunately, I only had to wear my oxfords three times where someone from the military would notice. At weddings and funerals, I just wore well-shined combat boots with my Class-As. This wasn't completely out of uniform as MPs always wore combat boots as part of their Class-A uniforms because they wore them in their work as dress guards. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Then there must be re-rolls or some other black magic in effect because I rarely see high WR players, especially the most vocal ones, delivering on their stats.

Could also be orphaned/'adopted' accounts. Someone is playing the account now who doesn't have the quality of play of the person who originally started it and got it those nice stats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I soaked them in hot water and got them to at least fit well enough to wear them for an hour before my feet started getting numb. 

This brings back memories! We always tought our recruits in boot camp to soak their boots in hot water along with their socks and then we went for the 10 km march with them. After that we boiled the ranger barrets to be able to form them properly.

It was a bonding experience.  🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Here is a collection of "2s," "7s" and "9s" from the National Institutes of Standards database of handwritten digits that is used for training various image processing systems. Note how similar some of them are to each other.

Examples-of-2s-in-the-MNIST-database-fir

Cross-reconstructions-of-7s-and-9s-with-

When I was in Basic, they gave me size 7 dress shoes instead of the size 9 that I was supposed to get. I told the supply sergeant that he'd misread the size but he flat-out refused to go get the right pair of shoes, probably to save face because he didn't want to be seen making a mistake in front of the trainees. I soaked them in hot water and got them to at least fit well enough to wear them for an hour before my feet started getting numb. Fortunately, I only had to wear my oxfords three times where someone from the military would notice. At weddings and funerals, I just wore well-shined combat boots with my Class-As. This wasn't completely out of uniform as MPs always wore combat boots as part of their Class-A uniforms because they wore them in their work as dress guards. 

Perhaps this ^^^^ might explain why Asian Caligraphy is taken so seriously?  🙂 

20 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Statistics are important but very few people understand them.

Here's an example from my own stats. Let's say someone pulls up the MMM and see's this:

Untitled.png

Man, that guy sucks, look at that abysmal win rate!

Then, in the next game, someone sees this:

Untitled.jpg

Woo hoo! We have a unicum on the team!

Then, there's this:

Untitled.jpg

OK, this guy's about average, nothing to get too worried about but nothing to write home about either.

Then we have this, which is currently my favorite tier VIII BB to play.

Untitled.jpg

So why the disparity? The first two I only played because they were required for an event. I wasn't playing them per se to win but only for the event prize. One, I had the good luck to get on good teams and the other the bad luck to get on bad teams. The next one was an old favorite when I first started playing the game but I haven't taken it out in years. The last one is what I currently play at tier VIII when I want to play a BB now that I've gotten better at the game.

i dont see why everyone has a facination with a win rate . the win rate you see in the game  isnt someones personal win rate . its a percentage of games won  out of games played  .

take the first example :41.67% winrate . that only means he has been in more loosing sides  than winning sides . but that also doesnt mean he is a bad player either 

2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Perhaps this ^^^^ might explain why Asian Caligraphy is taken so seriously?  🙂 

If you read some of the letters that US soldiers sent home from the Civil War, you will find that most of them had excellent penmanship, even if they didn't have much formal schooling. My niece teaches grade school and told me that penmanship isn't even taught in many American grade schools anymore. She didn't quite agree with this so taught her kids cursive anyway.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

If you read some of the letters that US soldiers sent home from the Civil War, you will find that most of them had excellent penmanship, even if they didn't have much formal schooling. My niece teaches grade school and told me that penmanship isn't even taught in many American grade schools anymore. She didn't quite agree with this so taught her kids cursive anyway.

She's correct. 
I have nephews and nieces and learned that schools had stopped teaching cursive handwriting via tales of their experiences.
Personally, I feel that cursive handwriting should be taught in schools.
If not, then parents should do as your niece has done and teach their children how to read & write in cursive.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Personally, I feel that cursive handwriting should be taught in schools.

Two stories here.  My now 13, almost 14-year-old son learned cursive handwriting in kindergarten.  Now, in eighth grade, teachers often comment on that little-used skill. 

I, being kind of semi-retired at a young age and looking for something in life to keep me busy, was asked by several friends at a charter school to teach practical, real-world science and math skills.  Talking about taking something for granted, I wrote some instructions on the whiteboard in cursive.  Only a small handful of students could read what I wrote.

Cursive also helps develop fine motor skills and advanced hand-eye coordination, along with building brain neural pathways.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HogHammer said:

Two stories here.  My now 13, almost 14-year-old son learned cursive handwriting in kindergarten.  Now, in eighth grade, teachers often comment on that little-used skill. 

I, being kind of semi-retired at a young age and looking for something in life to keep me busy, was asked by several friends at a charter school to teach practical, real-world science and math skills.  Talking about taking something for granted, I wrote some instructions on the whiteboard in cursive.  Only a small handful of students could read what I wrote.

Cursive also helps develop fine motor skills and advanced hand-eye coordination, along with building brain neural pathways.

Some in the USA have postulated that a population that cannot read cursive handwriting may be unable to read the original "Founding Documents" of the USA, such as The Constitution and The Declaration of Independence.

Personally, I prefer that the Citizens of every Nation retain the ability to read and learn from their own history and their Nation's founding documents.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

a population that cannot read cursive handwriting may be unable to read the original "Founding Documents" of the USA

Jacob Shallus was the engrosser of the original copy of the Constitution and was paid the equivalent of $695 to create the official document. As penmanship was his job, he had excellent handwriting skills.

Constitution-Pg1of4-AC.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 7:08 AM, ArIskandir said:

This goes well beyond the scope of the game and sadly I'm so jaded at this point that it permeates my outlook on everything, even something as taangential as stats in the game. Sorry for going off the rails Frosty

No worries. I was also surprised at myself taking the time to come up with suggestions, as if the notoriously tone deaf and toxic Wargaming wants to hear inputs and suggestions about an unintended but equally toxic part of their game. 😄

• Like 1