Skill based match making.

Type_93

On 3/15/2024 at 11:02 PM, Unlooky said:

Versus low tier literal and figurative bots? I'm not saying Tier 10 lobbies are difficult, I'm saying that they are comparatively more skilled on average. Do you run Potato Alert or MMM? Here's the numbers of the 7 consecutive battles I played in my Kléber in the span of just over an hour from 4pm-5pm (central) on a Thursday afternoon, roughly around NA peak time. 

Game 1:

0 <500 battle players, 2 with red PR

Game 2:

0 <500 battle players, 8 with red PR

Game 3:

1 <500 battle player, 7 with red PR  

Game 4:

1 <500 battle player, 5 with red PR

Game 5:

1 <500 battle player, 4 with red PR

Game 6:

1 <500 battle player, 6 with red PR

Game 7:

3 <500 battle players, 6 with red PR

These were all full 24 player lobbies. The worst (red) players clearly do not make up a majority of the matches, and there was never more than one <500 battle player with the exception of one game. 

I know 7 games isn't a significant sample size, but this should represent what an average hour long WoWs Tier 10 play session looks like. 

It would be best if you posted the monitor screen snips, but at the least you should specify if you are looking at random acct total, random ship total, ranked acct total, or ranked ship total.  All the above are or can be displayed and that's just PR.  I don't know about Potato alert but for MMM the color it shows defaults to the ship specific PR, which is why the color the is last thing that I pay attention to.

It's not uncommon to a player's name in purple only to see they only has 3 lucky games but otherwise have trash account stats.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

It would be best if you posted the monitor screen snips, but at the least you should specify if you are looking at random acct total, random ship total, ranked acct total, or ranked ship total.  All the above are or can be displayed and that's just PR.  I don't know about Potato alert but for MMM the color it shows defaults to the ship specific PR, which is why the color the is last thing that I pay attention to.

It's not uncommon to a player's name in purple only to see they only has 3 lucky games but otherwise have trash account stats.

Potato Alert shows overall account PR. Regrettably I cannot share the screenshots due to the file size limitation.

Edited by Unlooky

39 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

Potato Alert shows account PR. Regrettably I cannot share the screenshots due to the file size limitation.

Where? I don't see any settings to manipulate either.

potato.jpg

29 minutes ago, thornzero said:

potato.jpg

The color of the name is based off account PR

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thornzero said:

potato.jpg

According to that - your team has 1 good, 1 average, 3 below average and 1 hidden account. Your opponents have 1 average, 2 below average, 2 bad and 1 hidden account.

The odds are in your teams favour.

Just now, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

According to that - your team has 1 good, 1 average, 3 below average and 1 hidden account. Your opponents have 1 average, 2 below average, 2 bad and 1 hidden account.

The odds are in your teams favour.

Am I missing a joke or did you mean to list the teams in reverse order?

On 3/15/2024 at 11:02 PM, Unlooky said:

<500 battle players

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/

Only 12% of accounts in WOWS make it past 500 PvP games.

1 10 100 500 1000 2000 5000 10000 15000 20000
99.6% 70.29% 29.24% 11.71% 7.51% 4.34% 1.46% 0.34% 0.09% 0.03%
Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Okay, I am not reading everything, I am sorry I am late to this conversation that has been had many times in other venues, sometimes with actual developers. 

Skill based matchmaking is a false prophet. It has been tested many times in other games with similar PVP formats. The long story short is it causes players to burn out faster. Yes, that's right, faster than what we currently have. The reason for this is because almost every battle becomes close, which is exciting at first, but the closeness and the need for meticulous detail where one tiny obscure mistake can turn a match becomes stressful. Players get even more toxic, and people start playing other games to escape the stress. Let's be honest, the current version of the game is only stressful if you are obsessed with winning. That is when matchmaking really bothers you. If you just let it go and play your personal best, then it usually is okay and will balance out in the big picture. (Although I will admit losses that come so fast you never get to do what your ship is meant to do really suck.)

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, _KlRlTO_ said:

If you just let it go and play your personal best, then it usually is okay and will balance out in the big picture.

I agree with what you wrote but don't have the patience, and that includes many others too, to wait on a "balancing" until I'm dead. What I did write before is an exggeration, but having to wait several years to get a correct evaluation of your real personal performance is kind of sick. 

Edited by OT2_2

4 hours ago, Unlooky said:

Am I missing a joke or did you mean to list the teams in reverse order?

My bad. My tarded brain transposed the teams.

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I read a not so long while ago that the annual player turnover for wows is around 80%. I guess this statistic kinda proves it.

The longer we play, the worse our team mates appear to be. Because we keep improving, but the rest of them don't because they are all newb. Literally new players. I guess this means we need to shut up in game chat. Like really. Literally STFU because they ARE new players.

22 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Makes sense since WoWs is a free to play game. In the context of the active WoWs playerbase, especially at Tier 10, 500 battles is a low number.