The Music Thread 2.0

Mordt

I used to see old Comanche here all the time on my way to class.

15naturalhistorymuseum1.JPG&f=1&nofb=1&i

• Like 2

Apache - The Shadows (Original 1960 HD)

• Like 1

The Cherokee didn't have it all that bad when Oklahoma became a state. They ended up with all the oil. My cousins ended up with trees and snakes. This is a catchy tune but is almost complete fabrication.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I used to see old Comanche here all the time on my way to class.

15naturalhistorymuseum1.JPG&f=1&nofb=1&i

Ah... that explains it then.

Oh, one of those super distant genealogical cousins of mine that populate the US (I'm talking around 30th cousins and so) was a Comanche chief.

Not remotely about Indians but it does have the word "Indian" in it.

• Like 1

Historical note: Andrew Jackson borrowed ship cannons from Jean Lafitte, a French pirate, and placed them in trenches to use as field artillery pieces. Many of the guns were even manned by pirates during the battle. The battle was actually fought after the War of 1812 was over but communication back then took weeks or even months to cross the continent and the message hadn't been received yet by either side.

• Like 1

Seasick Steve - Started Out With Nothin'

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Everybody likes Italian music and er... submarines. Here is Inno dei sommergibilisti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72oKeSkQjk

@stralabastro142

1 hour ago

what's the film shown in the video?

1 reply

@Katoshi_Takagumi

46 minutes ago

Seeing it's I-503, the movie in question is Sensuikan Cappellini-go no Boken, a 2022 Japanese TV movie about the Italian submarine Comandante Cappellini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72oKeSkQjk

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Tagging @Lord_Zath

oh I'm already considering having that on.

That said, I need to be careful not to steal @clydeplays awesome work, which is one reason I'll likely just spam the direct YT link in chat rather than play it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today is five years since the passing of a good friend, John Kilzer. From a high school All-American in basketball and player at Memphis State, a professor, signed with Geffen Records, to pastor.  All the while fighting the demons of alcoholism.  For a while, he was big on MTV with "Red Blue Jeans", but his many other songs throughout his time were just plain great lyrics.  John also toured with the Moody Blues and Little Feat.  Really a remarkable man and someone who left way too early.  By the way, really did not get into music until college, picking up a guitar from a pawn shop and learning to play.  The story behind that is in the final video, which is well worth watching.

Two of my favorite songs are Memory in the Making, and I Love You with backing vocals by Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell.

John continued to sing and compose music while pastoring until his passing. Although I never thought of him as a rock and roller, he could easily belt out a rock song and immediately transition to a blues tune.  He did two albums for Geffen, but the drinking really took a toll on him.  He also wrote songs for Cash, Trace Adkins, Rita Coolidge, and others.

One of his last albums, Scars, performed live in Memphis.  The video has segments of John talking about his past and gives a little more perspective on his life.

• Like 4

I think I remember seeing the Red Blue Jeans video back in the 80s.

43 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I think I remember seeing the Red Blue Jeans video back in the 80s.

We are both showing our age 🤣.

• Like 1

Having intense eargasm this week with the soundtrack for Dune 2

It's been years since I so thoroughly enjoyed a movie soundtrack. 100% recommend watching the movie on Cinema, if you can do IMAX all the better... those basslines...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an oldie but a goodie I would like to dedicate to the folks at WeeGee Inc.

• Like 1

I've always liked this singer's songs. Back in the 80s, one of my alma maters had a really good activities director who somehow got all the big names to stop and do a concert at our small university. I worked a lot of these as I was a part-time janitor at the coliseum. Pat Benatar has a big voice for such a tiny little thing.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I've always liked this singer's songs. Back in the 80s, one of my alma maters had a really good activities director who somehow got all the big names to stop and do a concert at our small university. I worked a lot of these as I was a part-time janitor at the coliseum. Pat Benatar has a big voice for such a tiny little thing.

In 2016, Pat Benatar was touring and I won a pair of tickets via a local radio station's contest.
So, I took my (then girlfriend, now wife) to see one of my "bucket list" performers.

Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo, along with Melissa Etheridge, played at the Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion.
https://www.banknhpavilion.com/?page=past_performances  Jul 10 Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo / Melissa Etheridge
It was an awesome show.  🙂 

Side note, during Melissa Etheridge's performance, one of her guitar strings broke. But, she didn't stop playing.
While she continued to play, one of the stage-crew walked onto the stage with another ready-to-go guitar.
And then they smoothly performed a swap of the guitars while Melissa was continuously playing without missing a beat.
I was impressed. 
For that feat alone, Melissa Etheridge made a new fan of me, that night.
I figure they'd rehearsed that swap maneuver plenty of times beforehand, but it was the first time I'd ever seen anyone do so.

It was a wonderful night.  🙂 

• Like 4