The Music Thread 2.0

Mordt

She lived in that valley in California where all the 60s musicians hung out together, can't remember the name of it just now, but yes she had far more influence than most people realize.

9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

It's pretty amazing to me that Linda essentially formed the Eagles.

"I was playing country rock music with a pedal steel player but I couldn't afford to take a pedal steel player on the road. Bernie played this guitar, it was invented by Clarence White and had a pedal on the second string. It was a real technique to learn how to play it but Bernie knew how to play it so it could sound like a pedal steel. So I had two for one and had him in the band as much as I could but he was also working with The Flying Burrito Brothers and their career took off and they got a lot of gigs where he couldn't play with me anymore. I was living with John Davis out there at the time who had been partners with Glenn Frey. They had a duo together called the Long Bridge Penny Whistle and so I knew Glenn could play pretty well so I thought I'd get Glenn to replace Bernie even though he didn't play the pedal guitar. And one night I was walking through the Troubadour. I heard this band called Shiloh and they were playing my version of Silver threads and Golden Needles and I thought wow they look they're writing another song, maybe I could get their drummer. They'd come recently from Texas but he agreed to do it and that's how I introduced Glenn to Don and they started writing songs together and then they decided to form a band so we suggested Bernie visit Randy who could sing higher than God and the four of them came over to rehearse. They were an excellent vocal band" -- Linda Ronstadt

👍

The movie Goldfinger turned 60 a few days ago.  The song Goldfinger, sung by Shirley Bassey to this day, is one of the better theme songs.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

For some weird reason @HamptonRoads' comment here reminded me of these:

Salute.

I've not heard before any of those versions of Nightclubbing, but I knew about this one...

I don't particularly like any version of Nightclubbing tho... 

• Like 2

I knew of Iggy but never really got into his genre, I was only really aware of any of his music from this section of Trainspotting.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2024 at 5:55 PM, ArIskandir said:

This is one of the saddest songs I've heard, beautifuly tragic yet relatable. 

It vaguely reminds me of something, but I can't for the world remember what it is.

34 minutes ago, Efros said:

I knew of Iggy but never really got into his genre, I was only really aware of any of his music from this section of Trainspotting.

Iggy and The Stooges were so far ahead of their time... when you come to think this sound dates back to 1969. Then the guy himself has the most rock-and-roll attitude there is... and the dude is still alive and kicking, it's just uncanny.

21 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

It vaguely reminds me of something, but I can't for the world remember what it is.

Peaky Blinders maybe?

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Broken Peach's 2024 Halloween Special. The ladies never fail to delight.

Debbie Harry - Call Me (Muppet Show, 1981) [Restored]  

• Like 2

Grand Funk railroad live Mark Farner  drummer Don brewer and bass player Mel Schacher these 3 guys put out a wall of music. The bass player is crazy good so is everybody and they all sing to. Nirvana is closest I have seen where 3 guys could put out so much sound and that was when they were first starting out.

Also I believe lead singer Mark Farner was only 19 when this song was done.

Edited by clammboy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Since you lot of old fossils here

image.jpeg.d07945d6c04fff9a93df8eb05d96a3de.jpeg

like to post stuff from four or five decades ago, I thought I'd post some brand new tracks. You get exactly one guess where this music comes from.

The first one sounds interesting, the video is kind of interesting too. The second one, it's ... rap?... or something, I don't actually know this genre at all so don't know if it's good or not, but the visuals and special effects are stunning.

Daakuhiiroo (dark hero, antihero; uploaded Oct 10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s7sqM469H0

WMDA (Where My Drums At) uploaded Oct 14)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xptp59SzcL0

• Like 2

Tori Amos does a classical cover on the piano of Nirvana's Smells like teen spirit. Wow she is so talented and captivating again I cant keep my eye's off her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clammboy said:

Tori Amos does a classical cover on the piano of Nirvana's Smells like teen spirit. Wow she is so talented and captivating again I cant keep my eye's off her.

For some weird reason, this reminded me of the "Smell the Glove" album by "Spinal Tap".  🙂 
Very different song lyrics and concepts, though.  🙂 
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/  

Everyone is sharing some excellent music - some new and some old. Lots of memories.

One of my favorite bands was Badfinger (and there is a rather tragic story behind the band and the record industry at the time). They have many good songs, but this one is just about perfect—from its vocals to the flow of instruments.

• Like 2