The Music Thread 2.0

Mordt

3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I had a girlfriend once who was really into dance music. That sounds like something I might hear in the clubs she dragged me too. 

That seems to fall a bit short of a recommendation...

• Haha 1

I have to say that I was never a Sinead O'Conner fan when I was younger but damn this girl can sing she really puts her all into her songs. And on top of being just stunning she is hard to take your eyes off of because you don't know what's coming next.  

Edited by clammboy
  • Like 2

Always liked her, she had a troubled life and sometimes that showed in her songs. Just prior to SInead I would have put Kirsty MacColl forward as my favourite female vocalist. 

and possibly the most unlikely Christmas song ever recorded, The Pogues and Kirsty 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, clammboy said:

I have to say that I was never a Sinead O'Conner fan when I was younger but damn this girl can sing she really puts her all into her songs. And on top of being just stunning she is hard to take your eyes off of because you don't know what's coming next.

Try this, probably my favourite:

• Like 2

316522d6cfc9ee3660dafb90e309dc1e.jpg

What's that got to do with music? It's the contents of a box of Mackintosh's Good News chocolates from the late 1960s, beloved by amongst others Eric Clapton. Eric was doing some guitar work with a beat combo of the time and was espied munching his way through a box of these and the songwriters (actually Mr. Harrison) of the combo came up with a song based on this. Thus was born Savoy Truffle one of the songs on the eponymously named album they were recording at the time which later became known as The White Album. If you listen to the lyrics you'll hear most of the chocolates referenced. 

Edited by Efros
  • Like 2

One of my favorite songs. Kris Kristofferson, former Army helicopter pilot, died today at 88 years of age.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2024 at 8:38 PM, ArIskandir said:

[...]

So, I have been somewhat crestfallen by how I felt 'newer' music has been losing that edge, how it's becoming increasingly tame, lacking that ability to offend old folks (considering I'm an old folk now) in the way music of my generation offended the older folks. 

[...]            

Generally speaking, any music prior to your early twenties is tolerable at the bare minimum (but you must have heard it at least once by that age), anything after that is regarded as "noise" unless it resembles the former or comes from a band/singer you already liked. When I worked full time as a home tutor over a decade ago (went back into it recently while still doing IT maintenance), some kids and teens looked at me as if they were seeing an alien in disguise on first meeting (I walk-danced everywhere with headphones on), then I showed them clips like these so they could understand:

Yuro used Panzermensch by And One (loved the band since late 90s BTW, although they have mellowed a bit) on his "Kruppstahl/Großdeutschland zwei" video and introduced me to Electroswing. There are some other songs that would fit well in a cinematic made with video games' footage: firstly for WW1 aerial combat...

..., then maybe for a French DDs montage in WoWS (an extended remix would be nicer):

On 9/28/2024 at 11:02 PM, clammboy said:

A friend of mine used to say she was like Madonna without pulling punches.

Salute.

Edited by Estaca_de_Bares
Minor correction.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

Generally speaking, any music prior to your early twenties is tolerable at the bare minimum (but you must have heard it at least once by that age), anything after that is regarded as "noise" unless it resembles the former or comes from a band/singer you already liked.

That may be right. I've spent the best part of the last 2 hours trying to think of any music genre that's really new or doesn't resemble something from at least 20-30 years ago, but I can't think of a single one. Of course there's 'new' stuff I don't like, like 'trap', but I'm able to trace its lineage to previous genres I neither liked... for me it's not 'noise' I can't relate to, it's just stuff I've never liked. Same deal with K-pop/J-pop, not my thing but they are just a rearrangement of previously existing assets, not really something new I haven't heard before

Maybe it is my particular case, but I find it hard to regard something as just "noise" when I grew up enjoying what amount to somewhat sophisticated forms of 'noise' 😬

My main issue with today's music is nothing feels really new, nothing blows out my brain, no surprises. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Maybe it is my particular case, but I find it hard to regard something as just "noise" when I grew up enjoying what amount to somewhat sophisticated forms of 'noise' 😬

Apologies, I was using "noise" as a shortcut for "I don't like that song/genre you're listening to" the same way the older members of my family do. I've enjoyed my own amount of "sophisticated noise" too.

Salute.

• Like 1

This song is from a TV series that came out around the time I was born. It's sort of been my theme song throughout my life. It's based on the 1947 book of the same name by Stewart Edward White, a popular author of "Westerns" in the first half of the 20th century. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

@ArIskandir Funny, I don't generally have objection to new music sounding more or less the same as what I've heard before, as long as it reminds me of something I've liked, of course. Or even new covers of old songs. Maybe I'm just musically conservative or something. Now, I may also like older music I've not heard before, and I may occasionally like completely new music as well, though that's not usually the case. There's probably some criteria, some unconscious or hidden, that 'unlock' songs for me, in a sense.

I know these examples might not be your fav genre, but they are something I've recently come across that at least have made some impression and/or memory imprint when listening to them, and as something of a member of the MTV generation, when seeing the MV's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2uxFkb7znE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjkIuPcXX1U

• Like 1

AI is soon going to make you wonder if you can trust anything you hear online, if it hasn't already.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

AI is soon going to make you wonder if you can trust anything you hear online, if it hasn't already.

It's a bit of a craze, currently. Huge variation in quality when it comes to this AI stuff.

How about... Barbie Girl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAFdzBTe2lg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Who TF is Roy Clark? First time listening to him play Malaguena  

• Like 3

Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

Who TF is Roy Clark? First time listening to him play Malaguena  

He is one of the all-time greatest picker.  He was a regular on Hee-Haw along with Buck Owens.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

He is one of the all-time greatest picker.  He was a regular on Hee-Haw along with Buck Owens.  

I used to watch the TV show, Hee-Haw.
I didn't realize the full extent of Roy Clark's talent, though.

On 10/1/2024 at 2:14 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

I know these examples might not be your fav genre, but they are something I've recently come across that at least have made some impression and/or memory imprint when listening to them, and as something of a member of the MTV generation, when seeing the MV's.

My thing with genres is usually they correlate to some primary emotion, if I 'click' with that emotion then I like it, if I don't then I can't really 'feel' and deeply enjoy that music genre. A different matter is if the music itself feels 'new' or just like something I already heard before, which is what I find harder these days... to be surprised!

I happen to watch a lot of anime, this one sounds stereotypical anime Intro so again no surprise. The melody is easy to enjoy and catchy, I get the fun vibe but this is not a song that will stick to me long after I hear it. The video is equally nice but forgettable to me.

This one to me sounds classic electro-pop with some 80's 'vintage' vibes. The voice is very mellow, it's a pretty song but again perfectly mainstream imo... no surprise.  

I struggle to remember when was the last time I was surprised while listening a new theme, out of my memory I remember the first time I watched Royal Blood it felt 'fresh' (or as fresh as Rock can be these days), a big part of it is because the dude is making all that noise just with a bass guitar, which I find quite amazing and indeed it was a 'new' way to use the bass as the central voice for the song. 

More recently I remember being quite taken by Washing Machine Heart from Mitsky. While the musical theme itself is not really 'new', I was surprised by how well rounded was the song itself as a concept... music, lyrics and feeling are really synched in a very literal and uncommon way (the percusion is actually on tempo with the sounds made by shoes on a washing machine!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Nice!

Since you called the retro girl rock band vibe... from Mexico, Ultrasonicas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfbqxs-AAj8

These girls were infamous for their lyrics, this one is on their tamer side... if you don't speak spanish I guess you'll be safe. 

• Like 2

Linda was a guest on “The Johnny Cash Show,” which was taped at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium. Celebrity hairstylist Nanette England worked on the show, and she says Johnny’s wife, June Carter Cash, was shocked by Linda’s wardrobe, or lack thereof.

Nanette reveals in the new book, “Country Music Hair,” that June wasn’t about to let Linda perform with Johnny unless something was fixed really quickly.

Says Nanette, “June was sitting out there [in front of the stage], and she said, ‘That girl doesn’t have any panties on. She can’t sing with my Johnny like that.’ So they went over to [the department store] Cain-Sloan’s and got Linda some panties.”

After Linda put on the panties June bought for her, Johnny had some fun with the situation.

Nanette continues, “[Linda is] coming back in and Johnny passes her and says, ‘Linda, you got your drawers on?’ and she says, ‘Yeah, but I sing better bare-assed.’”

Now, that’s a conversation we never imagined going down between Johnny Cash and Linda Ronstadt!

I remember reading this years ago, the above video brought it to mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Efros said:

I remember reading this years ago, the above video brought it to mind.

It's pretty amazing to me that Linda essentially formed the Eagles.

"I was playing country rock music with a pedal steel player but I couldn't afford to take a pedal steel player on the road. Bernie played this guitar, it was invented by Clarence White and had a pedal on the second string. It was a real technique to learn how to play it but Bernie knew how to play it so it could sound like a pedal steel. So I had two for one and had him in the band as much as I could but he was also working with The Flying Burrito Brothers and their career took off and they got a lot of gigs where he couldn't play with me anymore. I was living with John Davis out there at the time who had been partners with Glenn Frey. They had a duo together called the Long Bridge Penny Whistle and so I knew Glenn could play pretty well so I thought I'd get Glenn to replace Bernie even though he didn't play the pedal guitar. And one night I was walking through the Troubadour. I heard this band called Shiloh and they were playing my version of Silver threads and Golden Needles and I thought wow they look they're writing another song, maybe I could get their drummer. They'd come recently from Texas but he agreed to do it and that's how I introduced Glenn to Don and they started writing songs together and then they decided to form a band so we suggested Bernie visit Randy who could sing higher than God and the four of them came over to rehearse. They were an excellent vocal band" -- Linda Ronstadt

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1