The Music Thread 2.0

Mordt

17 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Interesting blend, it never ocurred to me to mix Flamenco and Metal. Solea (that's a style of Flamenco) in particular is very introspective, sometimes sad; For me it conveys a very different mood than Metal, more akin to blues. For this piece in particular I felt the Metal parts dragged me out of the mood, like each part acts against the other. Probably would work better with Bulerias instead of Solea. 

Since we are talking about Solea, here one from the great Paco Peña (the lesser known Paco)

It just occurred to @Estaca_de_Bares might have something to say about this. (if anything just to present him another Forum section)

Yes, that mixture doesn't sound well, soleás are tinged with melancholy. Bulerías would've fit better, yet I don't think I'd have really liked it either: you see, after the autonomous region of Andalucía was established, the regional government started pushing any western Andalusian flamenco hybrids (bulerías and alegrías mostly -the more festive styles of flamenco- with pop in particular, but also rock, EDM...) they could find in the public radio and television broadcasting as "el sonido de nuestra tierra" ("the sound of our land/country"). The eastern provinces' mentality, although heavily influenced by two generations of media bombardment, is still characteristically different: Paco Peña is from Córdoba and the way he plays reflects it (Paco de Lucía is from Cádiz).

I'm more into electronic music genres myself. But since I've been invited to the thread due to my origin, I'll leave a couple of lyrics videos from the band Medina Azahara (both from their 1992 album), which I saw in concert in the early 90s. The first one is their most known song, while the second one is the song they've used to end their concerts ever since:

Salute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've always had a liking for some Spanish bagpipes to add a little spice to life...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

Yes, that mixture doesn't sound well, soleás are tinged with melancholy. Bulerías would've fit better, yet I don't think I'd have really liked it either: you see, after the autonomous region of Andalucía was established, the regional government started pushing any western Andalusian flamenco hybrids (bulerías and alegrías mostly -the more festive styles of flamenco- with pop in particular, but also rock, EDM...) they could find in the public radio and television broadcasting as "el sonido de nuestra tierra" ("the sound of our land/country"). The eastern provinces' mentality, although heavily influenced by two generations of media bombardment, is still characteristically different: Paco Peña is from Córdoba and the way he plays reflects it (Paco de Lucía is from Cádiz).

I'm more into electronic music genres myself. But since I've been invited to the thread due to my origin, I'll leave a couple of lyrics videos from the band Medina Azahara (both from their 1992 album), which I saw in concert in the early 90s. The first one is their most known song, while the second one is the song they've used to end their concerts ever since:

Salute.

Wow.  🙂
The first title reminds me  of pop-music in the 1980's.
The second song seems like more of a fusion of a wider variety of musical ingredients to create an interesting recipe for a ballad.

Have you heard of Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" album?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

I've always had a liking for some Spanish bagpipes to add a little spice to life...

😄👍

I'll respond with ...

Celtic Punjabi Bagpipes - The Snake Charmer (Titanic Dance Song Reimagined)

Irish Punjabi Party (New Way Forward) - The Snake Charmer ft. Raoul Kerr

Shipping Up To Boston/Enter Sandman - Bagpipe Cover (The Snake Charmer x Goddesses of Bagpipe)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

IIRC, an excerpt of that song was used for the broadcasting of La Vuelta (Spain's equivalent to the Tour de France) one year. The first 20 seconds or so remind me of some songs from Pharaoh's OST and then it switches to the intro of S.A.G.A.: Rage of the Vikings right before the bagpipes hit:

43 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Wow.  🙂
The first title reminds me  of pop-music in the 1980's.
The second song seems like more of a fusion of a wider variety of musical ingredients to create an interesting recipe for a ballad.

Have you heard of Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" album?

I might have stumbled upon his work at some point, just not knowing his name. Added to the list of things to look in detail some day or another.

Salute.

• Like 3

Bad Piper, who isn't actually Scots IIRC.

The massed Pipes and Drums at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo march out of the Esplanade and down to their marshalling point. Bagpipes are not the most melodious of instruments but as a weapon of war they are unmatched at inspiring the friendlies an intimidating the unfriendlies. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Efros said:

Bad Piper, who isn't actually Scots IIRC.

The massed Pipes and Drums at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo march out of the Esplanade and down to their marshalling point. Bagpipes are not the most melodious of instruments but as a weapon of war they are unmatched at inspiring the friendlies an intimidating the unfriendlies. 

I get the intimidating part as the sound is coming closer and closer, but the inspiring....?

7 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I get the intimidating part as the sound is coming closer and closer, but the inspiring....?

I guess you have to have Scots blood.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Efros said:

Sorry, I don't have the knees for that.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Efros said:

or maybe scotch in your blood.

Kidding aside, I saw the Black Watch perform in the 90s.  

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Like 2

For your Saturday listening pleasure...

From Poland...

From UK...Zero 7 featuring Sia...

Also UK...

And finally, New Zealand...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

That's Nik Kershaw?

Sure is...time flies by...he's in his mid-sixties now.

2 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

Sure is...time flies by...he's in his mid-sixties now.

TBH, I've only seen him in a couple of videos, the only one I actually remember is the Riddle.

• Like 1

This was filmed during WWII. Not much to listen too but they sure did put on a show for the boys.

The joke about the smell of the crowd versus the barn animals probably would fly right over the heads of a modern audience but I can remember a time before most buildings were air conditioned.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Not much to listen too but they sure did put on a show for the boys.

After watching that, for some reason my back hurts 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/16/2024 at 1:48 AM, Snargfargle said:

[...]

The joke about the smell of the crowd versus the barn animals probably would fly right over the heads of a modern audience but I can remember a time before most buildings were air conditioned.

During Spain's Golden Century the theatres were called "corrales de comedias" ("barns/corrals of comedies"), and the Spanish equivalent to actors and producers wishing luck with "break a leg", which comes from the same era, is "mucha mierda" ("lots of shit"), for piles of horse manure in front of the theatre meant that rich people came to see the show.

It's a funny coincidence you posting the video and pointing at the joke and its context, since last weekend I solved some problems a customer's acquaintance (an old guy on vacation) had with his laptop and smartphone, and in the following conversation at the cafeteria he talked about an original opera manuscript by Manuel de Falla he had found some decades ago. A few hints (he didn't mention it by name, but Falla only composed two of them) point to El Retablo de Maese Pedro, an opera for marionettes based on Don Quixote (BTW, Cervantes considered himself a librettist -after all, that's were the money was at the time- instead of a novelist):

Salute.

• Like 3

When I was growing up, there was one game in town, a pinball machine at the drug store. One kid could be found there every day after school. When this song came out, people started calling him Wizard. Fifty-five years later, he still goes by that name.

• Like 2

I Saw the Pretenders, Pat Benatar and Hall and Oates outdoors in central park NY at the Schaffer beer concert for 5 dollars they served 25 cent draft beer and everyone was wasted for 10 bucks. Up until then I was a Charlie Daniels Southern rock guy after that show I never listened to that again. The Pretenders only had 4 songs at this point so they played them all twice because the crowd went crazy for them and wouldn't let them leave. I was in love with Chrissie Hydne for the next 10 years   

Edited by clammboy
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, clammboy said:

I Saw the Pretenders, Pat Benatar and Hall and Oates outdoors in central park NY

One university I attended was small but was located about a day's drive between two large cities on the interstate. We had a great activities director and he got most of the big-name bands to stop over and give a concert on their way to their next venue. For a couple of years, I worked at the colosseum as a janitor and one of my jobs was to help set up for concerts. Molly Hatchet, The Bellamy Brothers, Hall and Oates, Pat Benatar, Pablo Cruise, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The J. Geils Band, Chicago, and Alabama all held concerts there during the 80s. The bands were mostly great and would usually order extra food and invite us student workers eat with them. Those days are long gone and I don't think the university even hosts local bands anymore.

• Like 1