The Music Thread 2.0

Mordt

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Don't recall if I've posted this before, just remembered it from well.. somewhat long ago. @HogHammer, this might fall under your area of expertise.

Talking about hammers...

Fun fact: The 'bell' sound in Metallica's "For whon the bell tolls" is in reality Lars bashing an anvil with a big a$$ hammer

• Like 1

Here's one from when I was going to college back in the '70's.  

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of military songs, but it's a special day :

• Like 4

I feel like this has been posted before, but ah well. It's a bloody good song and deserves a repost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mordt said:

I feel like this has been posted before, but ah well. It's a bloody good song and deserves a repost.

The lyrics ...

"1916"

Sixteen years old when I went to the war
To fight for a land fit for heroes
God on my side, and a gun in my hand
Chasing my days down to zero
And I marched and I fought and I bled and I died
And I never did get any older
But I knew at the time that a year in the line
Was a long enough life for a soldier

We all volunteered, and we wrote down our names
And we added two years to our ages
Eager for life and ahead of the game
Ready for history's pages
And we brawled and we fought and we whored 'til we stood
Ten thousand shoulder to shoulder
A thirst for the Hun, we were food for the gun
And that's what you are when you're soldiers

I heard my friend cry, and he sank to his knees
Coughing blood as he screamed for his mother
And I fell by his side, and that's how we died
Clinging like kids to each other
And I lay in the mud and the guts and the blood
And I wept as his body grew colder
And I called for my mother and she never came
Though it wasn't my fault and I wasn't to blame
And the day's not half over and ten thousand slain
And now there's nobody remembers our names
And that's how it is for a soldier

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sabaton/1916.html

• Like 2

Music to relax and chill-out with.

"60s Lounge Jazz, 60s Lounge Music Mix: Best of 50’s and 60’s Lounge Music Playlist"

• Like 3

Dont know were I have been but I fell in love with Tori Amos 30 seconds into this video. She also plays the piano like a godess. I couldnt keep my eyes off her this was some preformance.

• Like 4

I've noticed that many female singers, as they mature in age, seem to lack some of the vocal range and tone they had in their younger years. On the contrary, most male singers can still belt out a song.  Of course, there are exceptions.  Way, way back in the day, while in college and a few years after, I was very involved in music scene.  That abruptly changed with a career change (a VERY wise move), but I still remained in close contact with several friends in various A&R (Artists and Repertoire) departments with record companies and several well-known singers and bands, as in below. I will add that the music industry has really changed a lot in the digital streaming age, and it is not for the betterment of artists.  Royalties suck - we're talking a fraction of pennies for each time a song is played.

So here I present a band and good friends I have known for a long time, and I will say Terri still has a beautiful voice in her 60s.

Of course, their most famous, well-known song...

59421710_850894715253939_3742438294743416832_n.thumb.jpg.85f3a4674d5146097e03f70e11d51595.jpg

In Palm Springs, California, a couple of years back (L to R), John Crawford, Perry Watts-Russell, Terri Nunn, and David Diamond.

When I left California, Perry bought my house but needed to delay the purchase for about three months. Since I knew him, this was no problem. He needed a place to stash some boxes, so I said, "Go ahead and just use the garage."  One day, I needed to go into the garage to get something, and there were open boxes from the floor to the ceiling. All job-related items from his jobs with various record labels and bands he represented.  Within all that stuff were a lot of gold records from multiple artists - Berlin, Everclear, Radiohead, The Dandy Warhols, Robbie Robertson, Meredith Brooks, and many more. I asked Perry if I should lock the garage, and he replied, "No, I still have two more office rooms full of boxes to bring over."

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Tagging @ArIskandir and @iDuckman

Interesting blend, it never ocurred to me to mix Flamenco and Metal. Solea (that's a style of Flamenco) in particular is very introspective, sometimes sad; For me it conveys a very different mood than Metal, more akin to blues. For this piece in particular I felt the Metal parts dragged me out of the mood, like each part acts against the other. Probably would work better with Bulerias instead of Solea. 

Since we are talking about Solea, here one from the great Paco Peña (the lesser known Paco)

It just occurred to @Estaca_de_Bares might have something to say about this. (if anything just to present him another Forum section)

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Interesting blend, it never ocurred to me to mix Flamenco and Metal. Solea (that's a style of Flamenco) in particular is very introspective, sometimes sad; For me it conveys a very different mood than Metal, more akin to blues. For this piece in particular I felt the Metal parts dragged me out of the mood, like each part acts against the other. Probably would work better with Bulerias instead of Solea. 

Since we are talking about Solea, here one from the great Paco Peña (the lesser known Paco)

I accidentally found a youtube video with about 20 different guitarists that had performed on the "<insert country here>'s Got Talent" television show.  And after seeing the international variety of guitar styles, I wondered if Flamenco and Metal had ever been combined.  So I searched youtube with the words Flamenco and Metal and the artist I shared was near the top of the search results.

20 BEST Guitar Players On Talent Shows!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is something that I never thought I'd see -- a WOWS video re-mixed into a Johnny Cash song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Here is something that I never thought I'd see -- a WOWS video re-mixed into a Johnny Cash song.

Suffice to say, I prefer the original music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Sorry but I won't cringe alone... Since You Made me remember Ring of Fire from Johny Cash, another bizarre gender blend...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1