Is there enough up-to-date information for new players today?

_MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr

On 2/26/2024 at 8:53 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Comprehensive Submarine Guide (And Fighting them) in World of Warships

You're giving a Yuro video to a newbie?  Aren't you afraid you'll burn him out?

Or is this one straight?

5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

You're giving a Yuro video to a newbie?  Aren't you afraid you'll burn him out?

Or is this one straight?

Yuro created a comprehensive and useful guide.  It was both good for beginners and provided enough intermediate or advanced information to give "veterans" a good refresher course.

The only thing making some aspects of the video obsolete is the recently published changes to CV's and Submarines.
The basics remain true enough in principle.  Some of the finer details will require consulting the dev-blogs.

That said, it is among the best videos available and complements the works of @Ahskance and @ArIskandir, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Yuro created a comprehensive and useful guide.  It was both good for beginners and provided enough intermediate or advanced information to give "veterans" a good refresher course.

The only thing making some aspects of the video obsolete is the recently published changes to CV's and Submarines.
The basics remain true enough in principle.  Some of the finer details will require consulting the dev-blogs.

That said, it is among the best videos available and complements the works of @Ahskance and @ArIskandir, in my opinion.

Thanks.  I suspected as much.

For the newbie that is not familiar with the incomparable Yuro, his "commentary" videos are rapid-paces and hilarious.  I have to slow them down because my old brain doesn't work that quickly any more.  Let me find one...

@_MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr Here's one that's valuable and not too frantic.  A ship near and dear to my Heart of Texas !

I'd claim Yuro as a National Treasure were he not from Indonesia.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I'd claim Yuro as a National Treasure were he not from Indonesia.

I'd not seen his channel before. I just watched 460mm Go Bang! and about fell off my chair laughing.

LOL, I watched his most recent video and about fell out of my chair again laughing at an inside joke. It flashed by in a second but if you have kept up on current events in the game you will get it.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I'd not seen his channel before. I just watched 460mm Go Bang! and about fell off my chair laughing.

LOL, I watched his most recent video and about fell out of my chair again laughing at an inside joke. It flashed by in a second but if you have kept up on current events in the game you will get it.

Really?  You didn't know Yuro?  Then my mission here has achieved a satisfactory ending.

Oh, and then there's the time he got lost in Russia...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Really?  You didn't know Yuro?  Then my mission here has achieved a satisfactory ending.

I've been watching his videos now that my internet is back up (local ISP lost a server rack). They are hilarious!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 7:08 AM, HogHammer said:

^^^This I fully believe - and from actual experience^^^

There is an overwhelming amount of information available to new players - be it from WG itself and many, many contributors who have put in their own time and effort on some really worthwhile YouTube videos.  

Learning the basics of the game is rather simple - improving those skills by either knowing where to look or just taking the necessary time and practice is where many fail.

Starting out, my go-to source of information was the old forum's guides, which I found very helpful.  Additionally, I took the time and effort to search for videos on YouTube that I found were very helpful.  Much of that information and links have been included in the reference section of this very forum, with new material being added nearly weekly.

So, the material is there for anyone to use.  It just takes individual effort if one truly desires to become a competent player and not a drag on one's team.

If you find or see any videos or instructional information that would benefit new or existing players, please let us know.  The more eyes we have finding these little gems of information, the better, and they can be grouped by creator, @iChase for example, or by topic/subject.

All this information is currently located in the "Reference" section of the forum - LWM Reviews, Ship Reviews, Guides, and Historical Content.

Its good to see that material was preserved for new players from the old forums.

Though this topic has really had me pondering an extension of the topic question:

Is the game still worth new players investing their time and learning to play? and would I recommend WoWs to people potentially interested in trying the game at this time?

I know its a tangent that could be another thread, but I think its a tangent worth exploring here as it relates to the topic. In my opinion, I honestly don't know. Its so much information that I don't know if a new player can realistically get up to speed with things already implemented and learn new gimmicks that are continuing to appear in the game. Its a very uphill struggle for any player looking to become proficient with the game. They'll always be behind vet players who having been playing for years or since release(like me). Considering this, I don't think its worth it for any but the most serious and dedicated players to start learning this game. I don't think this game is approachable like it once was(release and the first year or two).

As far as would I recommend the game or should we recommend WoWs? I'd say no to that too. The games in a horrible state and the road to recovery is extremely long(and I'm not sure WG will ever get the game out of the hole that they've dug for it). Randoms has becoming more and more toxic with each patch it seems(I used to play nothing but randoms, but I can't stand it anymore with the [imagination required]'s that ruin it for me). The inherent problems still exist and WG is still hesitant to properly fix them. There are also blatantly unfun mechanics(and classes) that I don't think new players should be subjected to. Not only that but the heavy anti-consumer attitude the devs have makes things even worse. This game is in such a rough state that I couldn't recommend it to anyone and I'm not alone in this from talking to other veteran players(as well as reading what they have to say).

Edited by MBT808
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MBT808 said:

This game is in such a rough state that I couldn't recommend it to anyone and I'm not alone in this from talking to other veteran players (as well as reading what they have to say).

I guess you could call me a veteran player, both literally and figuratively. I've played 13,633 Random matches and 1,669 Ranked matches over the past 7 years, 3 months, and 26 days. I also have over 20,000 posts on the two WOWS forums so I've been listening to what players say over the years. I have no major complaints with the game as it now stands, other than that I don't like the removal of team damage. The game is a richer and more interesting experience than it was when it was first released to the public.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Bored 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:43 AM, Jakeshuffle said:

I've been told that the stat numbers for ship's Artillery, Torpedoes, Airstrike, etc mean absolutely nothing. After playing enough I think I can understand and compare the itemized perks from ship to ship, but is there a tutorial on WHY a ship with 80 artillery on the stat could be worse than a 70?

I'm not sure if this was answered later in the thread but here we go.

The numbers are either arbitrarily chosen or generated through an unknown formula. All the factors in game are just too complex to be labeled by a 1-100 rating. The most obvious example of this would be Yamato and Zieten's artillery rating. Yamato's guns are objectively superior to Zieten's. However, the in game rating for them is 88 and 91 respectively. Disregarding Yamato's superior gun layout, extremely potent overmatching capability, salvo weight, range, alpha, penetration, etc. etc, the game somehow rates Zieten (6x406mm) higher than Yamato.

If this is generated via a formula, then it seems to HEAVILY favor reload since there is no other way such a discrepancy is possible. There are plenty of other nonsensical ratings like this (Clemson doubling it's gunpower with B hull yet only receiving +1 artillery also comes to mind), but this is my go to example. The Clemson B hull seems to support the theory that the rating is disproportionately affected by reload. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Unlooky said:

I'm not sure if this was answered later in the thread but here we go.

The numbers are either arbitrarily chosen or generated through an unknown formula. All the factors in game are just too complex to be labeled by a 1-100 rating. The most obvious example of this would be Yamato and Zieten's artillery rating. Yamato's guns are objectively superior to Zieten's. However, the in game rating for them is 88 and 91 respectively. Disregarding Yamato's superior gun layout, extremely potent overmatching capability, salvo weight, range, alpha, penetration, etc. etc, the game somehow rates Zieten (6x406mm) higher than Yamato.

If this is generated via a formula, then it seems to HEAVILY favor reload since there is no other way such a discrepancy is possible. There are plenty of other nonsensical ratings like this (Clemson doubling it's gunpower with B hull yet only receiving +1 artillery also comes to mind), but this is my go to example. The Clemson B hull seems to support the theory that the rating is disproportionately affected by reload. 

In addition to what you wrote, the secondary battery & AA guns of the same manufacturer and model can increase their performance (damage output) when placed upon a higher-tier ship.

If the guns were the same, why do they pack more of a punch when mounted on a higher tier ship?
My guess is that this is one of the ways that WG/WOWs "balances" ships.
They simply change the numbers for WG/WOWs purposes.

Hi all,

On 2/23/2024 at 10:51 AM, _MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr said:

Hello, everyone!

This is the beginning of my journey here on this forum.

I was wondering today, do we have a lot of tutorials on YouTube for newbies to World of Warships?

Please make a list of the main topics that you think should be covered. Justify your choices.

Perhaps in the near future, based on your suggestions, I'll put together a series of detailed videos.

I would be happy to contribute to this community, where we can guide every player from beginner to expert player.

This is link for the official WG WoWs resources for begginers:

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/content/education/

Leo "Apolol11"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2024 at 11:21 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

While divisioning is, in theory, a nice idea.  There are considerations.

Who do I division with? 
Like, really.  How do I find someone worth the effort to division with, for training purposes?

It's fun to division with people.  Yes.
I've had some hilarious games while divisioned with @Sailor_Moon, @Ensign Cthulhu, @Counter_Gambit and @Asym and @SolitudeFreak.
I've had good experiences "merc'ing" with @Gaelic_knight.  I've also had some worthwhile games with @Justin_Simpleton

But, for learning & training purposes, there's more preparation and learning that needs to be done so that a "newbie" can get trained in the basics and the finer-points of gunnery, torpedoing from stealth and from brawling ranges, positioning, just-dodging, turning off AA and sec-bat guns to minimize aerial detection, and etc.
This is where finding a decent person or group of people can help a lot.  Or it can become a total turn-off if the wrong people are being divisioned with.

For me, I'm glad I found @Lord_Zath's Twitch stream.
He brings players in for divisioning play and also does replay reviews & analysis. 
And, in my opinion, he's good at both.  Until he drinks too much "dirty water", at least.  But, then the channel becomes entertaining for other reasons.  🙂 
Bottom line?  
I've learned a lot about playing from viewing and/or participating in divisions during Lord_Zath's Twitch streams.

This forum has a Clan recruiting area.  So, that's a place to visit and post a "recruits wanted" or "clan wanted" topic, too.
Sometimes the effort pans-out.  🙂 

D'aww, thanks! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

On 2/23/2024 at 10:51 AM, _MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr said:

Hello, everyone!

This is the beginning of my journey here on this forum.

I was wondering today, do we have a lot of tutorials on YouTube for newbies to World of Warships?

Please make a list of the main topics that you think should be covered. Justify your choices.

Perhaps in the near future, based on your suggestions, I'll put together a series of detailed videos.

I would be happy to contribute to this community, where we can guide every player from beginner to expert player.

Recent post on Reddit:

https://new.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/1bir45e/psa_websites_for_wows_information/

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:20 PM, Snargfargle said:

The game is a richer and more interesting experience than it was when it was first released to the public.

Then, Snarglefargle, try & win the record for signing up new players.

Me, I prefer to keep my RL friends by never recommending WoWS (at present). When first released, WoWS was much better, imo, than it is now. (I will see your 'beta' & raise you my 'alpha' 😁

Edited by Aethervox