Uh, ooh......sadly, Wedgie's plan is working :( ....

Andrewbassg

6 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I enjoyed the games and the modeling of the virtues, vices and quirks of various planes in Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator.

Red Baron was fun too. The planes were hard to fly on expert mode and had many of the foibles of the original planes. The Sopwith Camel would flip over and crash on you while you were taking off due to its powerful engine torque of you weren't careful.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

@Jakob Knight Would you go as far as to say that some players are happy to play what WG gives them while others are not?

I would say no game is going to be exactly what any player wants as long as they are not the only one it is being designed to give enjoyment to.  No doubt there are those who don't want to think about or get involved in discussions about the game and just play it, just as there are those who will storm off and never play again when something is changed not to their liking.  Most players fall in between those extremes.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

Just remember that while the maps didn't shrink, the teams got bigger. Randoms were actually 9v9 and coops 7v7.  Which means, they indeed got quite a bit more cramped.

True enough, and one of the reasons I enjoy Ranked and Ranked gameplay is the smaller number on a team.  Makes everyone have to perform better to get a win because there are fewer other players to carry the load.  However, this was not due to the selection or incorporation of any particular ship type, which was the point under discussion.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Thanks 1

My very first game on PC was Red Baron svga version (all the glory of 256 colours), bought my first PC in 1993 and a fellow who worked in my building gave me a pirate copy. He was ex USAF engineer who had worked with the Convair B36 program. That game was heaps of fun. So naturally I followed up with Red Baron 2 and Red Baron 3D as well.

I still recall playing Midway by Lucas Arts. Before the Star wars games (X wing and Tie fighter) Lucas Arts made flight simulators. Midway, followed by BoB then SWOTL. Old timers will know what those games are. They were fantastic days.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Aethervox said:

As to Subs, WG said they weren't going to be in the game

Chieftain said they weren't going to be in the game at launch, some time before open beta. But did a developer ever say there were never going to be subs? If so, point me at something written in stone.

• Bored 1

2 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:
10 hours ago, Aethervox said:

As to Subs, WG said they weren't going to be in the game

Chieftain said they weren't going to be in the game at launch, some time before open beta. But did a developer ever say there were never going to be subs? If so, point me at something written in stone.

Early in my WOWs player career, I received an official survey and asked for Submarines to be brought into the game as part of my responses to the survey's questions.

As @ArIskandir pointed-out, once upon a time, WG/WOWs was probably looking at what they could add to the game to sell as premium ships and decided they needed an entire new ship type to introduce in order to have room to grow the game.
Speculation?  Perhaps.
Yet, here we are.  🙂 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Chieftain's point was that the game mechanics would not allow for the subs. Have the mechanics changed since those days?....

On Red Baron, I think Red Baron 3d is on Steam, currently, the original graphics, of course,... well, when I was playing the game I had a Voodoo3dfx card that the game was optimized for, and it didn't look the same without that card.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Early in my WOWs player career, I received an official survey and asked for Submarines to be brought into the game as part of my responses to the survey's questions.

@Admiral_Karasu too.

This was five years ago:

“World of Warships has continually evolved with new gameplay mechanics, innovative game modes and rich content since its release. The uniqueness of submarines poses very interesting design challenges for our team, which we hope to be able to turn into novel new gameplay tactics for our players and to make online naval combat more exciting than ever before. We are always looking for new ways to make our audience happy and we’re aiming to fulfill every player’s fantasy of WW2 submarine operations.” -- Artur Plociennik, Executive Producer of World of Warships:

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

decided they needed an entire new ship type to introduce in order to have room to grow the game.

And add to its complexity/depth of interaction. 

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Chieftain's point was that the game mechanics would not allow for the subs.

One of WG's greatest failings around the introduction of subs was their failure to bring that particular Chieftain snippet up and specifically address it. The haters love to quote it out of context and scream WEEEGEE IS @#$%^& LYING! SUE THEM! BANKRUPT THEM!!, and their fangs should have been pulled immediately, preferably by having Chieftain onto the WG EU (EN) stream to discuss it. 

Now we will have to listen to their ranting and screaming for the rest of the game's existence, to the point where the urge to do this is overwhelming: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsUCRcK7QYc

• Sad 1
  • Bored 1

11 hours ago, Aethervox said:

An absolute lie. A good Sub player (currently) can harass you with pings & torp launches & there's nothing you can do about that but try to avoid the torps, meanwhile, you are practically useless to your team & fighting other enemy ships.

Plus, as you know full well, 'Wolfie', a good reworked CV player can (currently) harass any enemy ship that CV wants to & there's nothing you can do about that either.

Two complete griefer classes that can ruin one's battle, simply, by going after you relentlessly.

Oh, sure, that's 'fun'. What are you? A 'shill' for Wedgie?

Eh.

The whole game is designed for all the ships to grief the enemy team.

The whole fixation on 'griefer classes' in a game whose core gameplay is literally griefing the enemy team...and where the company staff take great pleasure in griefing and trolling their own customers....seems to reflect how poorly the person using the phrase understands the game.

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Red Baron was fun too. The planes were hard to fly on expert mode and had many of the foibles of the original planes. The Sopwith Camel would flip over and crash on you while you were taking off due to its powerful engine torque of you weren't careful.

I started my simulator combat experience with the original Red Baron as well. Fun times.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

and where the company staff take great pleasure in griefing and trolling their own customers

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how I'm being griefed and trolled.

• Bored 3

12 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how I'm being griefed and trolled.

DevStrike has a reporting system. Have you had an opportunity to familiarize yourself with it? If you feel griefed and trolled you may perhaps want to check it out.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Oh, sure, that's 'fun'. What are you? A 'shill' for Wedgie?

Wolf is far from a scrill for WG he has plenty of post about the dumb and unfair things they do. I think he just disagrees with people on subs and CVs and his stance is not very popular but he is no schrill for WG. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Wolf is far from a scrill for WG he has plenty of post about the dumb and unfair things they do. I think he just disagrees with people on subs and CVs and his stance is not very popular but he is no schrill for WG. 

Thank you.  Thanks_WorldofWarships_trophy-icon_03-23-2022_.jpg.889f44744d6ce21d60e8033824324702.jpgDrinkingWolfKampai_facebooksticker_saved_08-10-2022_.jpg.0377579576815b619e5af96bb3539fd8.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

And add to its complexity/depth of interaction. 

One of WG's greatest failings around the introduction of subs was their failure to bring that particular Chieftain snippet up and specifically address it. The haters love to quote it out of context and scream WEEEGEE IS @#$%^& LYING! SUE THEM! BANKRUPT THEM!!, and their fangs should have been pulled immediately, preferably by having Chieftain onto the WG EU (EN) stream to discuss it. 

Now we will have to listen to their ranting and screaming for the rest of the game's existence, to the point where the urge to do this is overwhelming: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsUCRcK7QYc

😄 

"If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now."

―Loki to The Avengers
https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Loki/New_York_Time_Heist/Quote

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

DevStrike has a reporting system. Have you had an opportunity to familiarize yourself with it? If you feel griefed and trolled you may perhaps want to check it out.

No, you misunderstand me. According to some, WG staff is griefing and trolling me - but somehow I'm not seeing it, so I'm waiting for someone to explain to me how I'm so hard done by. 

• Like 1
  • Bored 3

5 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

No, you misunderstand me. According to some, WG staff is griefing and trolling me - but somehow I'm not seeing it, so I'm waiting for someone to explain to me how I'm so hard done by. 

Would you like me to check if some WG staff has managed penetrate our defensive measures?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Jeopardy song 10 hours loop

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Jeopardy song 10 hours loop

Now, if that 10 hour loop was the back ground music for Random battles, I'd bet we'd see changes in a week !   Or, the game would be forced to close.......with many players, from all over the world, being hospitalized for nervous break downs...

We now have no less than six forum pages addressing a wide range of opinions covering the original post (now at 143 replies and over 1,600 views).  This topic is starting to have the same people going back and forth with each other.

With such a topic like this, it often tends to get a little overheated and personal.  Please remember to keep personal attacks out of the discussion since they really add nothing to the overall discussion other than the reported content to the moderator’s attention. (We are getting them)

This topic regarding subs and aircraft carriers has been ongoing and will likely continue even with the changes announced recently by WG.  Some here want changes, some drastic changes, and some totally want one or both classes removed from the game.  There are many, very many views on this topic - that's just the way it is.

However, there is absolutely no need to bring personal attacks into the discussion to undermine a different point of view(s).  In other words, keep it civil and try to respect a wide range of opinions on this topic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Loki got a bad rap in those movies. He is actually the trickster and adversary who questions the other gods. He is Coyote of the Americas, Lucifer of the Bible, Prometheus of Greek myth, and Set of the Egyptians. In the tarot he is the Fool, the one who has seen beyond the perceived good and evil of the world and realizes that it's all just a big joke. Those who see beyond the veil are dangerous to the establishment and must be chained to a rock.

Louis_Huard_-_The_Punishment_of_Loki.jpg

ca6d1143ab120aa9c2c1a402fd8eb46b5b6bcbc7

file205.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=de46c0c3021fc

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Those who see beyond the veil are dangerous to the establishment and must be chained to a rock.

Hmm, Loki eh? Very Prometheus-like.

• Bored 1

On 2/24/2024 at 4:57 AM, Justin_Simpleton said:

I might add that it appears WG is trying to recruit existing gamers but not trying to create new gamers.  New gamers would be people seeking a hobby that doesn't cost a lot, stimulates the mind, and provides some excitement.  I would recommend this game to others if I was wearing a polo shirt with the game logo. The people I meet would be turned off to the game if I was wearing a T-shirt or hoodie. 

I'm not sure about what you say here, Justin. All I know is, if I recommended WG games to any of my friends who might become new players, I'd lose these friends (because they'd think I was some kind of 'jerk' for giving them a 'bum steer'). Nor would it be necessary, at all, to wear corporate logo 'dreck' (which, personally, I would never do). Do you know anyone who would be seen, in public, wearing WG logo stuff? ROFL

On 2/22/2024 at 10:42 AM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Yuro was right when he pointed out that the CV rework was really intended to rework the playerbase...

Perhaps, not intended to rework the player base (although many players from early WoWS likely quit for this very reason) but, rather, to increase revenues which is all WG cares about. It's all about the Sardine school 'churn' for WG (to use some fishing terminology 😁).