Guess the movie quote from an AI rendition

Tpaktop2_1 NA

Let's see if you can figure out this song.

First, it was originally a 1920s German song. However, it became a big hit in America in the 60s when it was re-written with English lyrics. Then, it was referred to in third song that became a big hit in the 80s as well.

8188b923-de96-439a-aefc-9577cb9a8ed5.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

image.jpeg.a00cdeb1886b7ae88b3f3319ea730322.jpeg

Yes, we have no bannanas.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

Yes, we have no bannanas.

46 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Let's see if you can figure out this song.

First, it was originally a 1920s German song. However, it became a big hit in America in the 60s when it was re-written with English lyrics. Then, it was referred to in third song that became a big hit in the 80s as well.

8188b923-de96-439a-aefc-9577cb9a8ed5.jpg

• Thanks 1

Since I believe we don't currently have a riddle open (apart from the Blur song that nobody wants to touch). Here's something interesting.

You may already know the singer from a previous riddle. The picture expresses an idea present in the song, and there are some (not many) references to the lyrics in the image too.

image.thumb.jpeg.bb5292865a054fabf502da35b42c5bbe.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

You may already know the singer from a previous riddle. The picture expresses an idea present in the song, and there are some (not many) references to the lyrics in the image too.

It might me this song...

10 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

It might me this song...

Well no, it is of course Rod Stewart, but without this much American sound. You want something in a little bit more European genre, I think, from another album. You are.. potentially close, though, timewise and thematically speaking.

You have a woman alone at a table, maybe she is waiting for something, or something from someone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

This is the popular US version.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

If you want to write a rock and roll or country hit, all you have to do is write a song about other singer/songwriters or their songs.

• Like 1

You would never get this song in a million years but if you listen to it I think the AI image did it at least some justice.

5f8071b6-3842-414b-8273-1f57e730781c.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

You would never get this song in a million years but if you listen to it I think the AI image did it at least some justice.

5f8071b6-3842-414b-8273-1f57e730781c.jpg

Well, before looking at the YT clip, it did scream the word 'ballad' at me.

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well, before looking at the YT clip, it did scream the word 'ballad' at me.

Ballads are my favorite type of songs, as you may have guessed by now. I dont' know if you remember any of my old song parodies but most of them were ballads. I didn't save any of them because they were mostly "inside jokes" only specific to WOWS. A few could stand alone as alternate nautical versions of songs though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Ballads are my favorite type of songs, as you may have guessed by now. I dont' know if you remember any of my old song parodies but most of them were ballads. I didn't save any of them because they were mostly "inside jokes" only specific to WOWS. A few could stand alone as alternate nautical versions of songs though.

Not that many nautical ballads are there? Sea shanties and songs, yes, but can those be ballads? I have actually never looked up if there's something musically special about ballads or is just something to do with the song lyrics.

On 3/9/2024 at 1:41 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Not that many nautical ballads are there? Sea shanties and songs, yes, but can those be ballads? I have actually never looked up if there's something musically special about ballads or is just something to do with the song lyrics.

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge, as read by Sir Ian McKellan (If you can spare 30 minutes)

A pretty good overview of the above, with a metal twist:

Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner

On 3/9/2024 at 9:57 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

You have a woman alone at a table, maybe she is waiting for something, or something from someone?

She sits alone,
waiting for suggestions.
He's so nervous,
avoiding all the questions.

On 3/9/2024 at 9:29 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Since I believe we don't currently have a riddle open (apart from the Blur song that nobody wants to touch). Here's something interesting.

The only song from Blur's Blur album I'm familiar with is Song 2 which got quite a bit of airplay on this side of the pond.

If I were to guess from the track list, since the nurse is moving the patient somewhere I'd go with Movin' On.

Edited by Amaruk
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @Amaruk double correct, on both Blur and Rod Stewart.

Likewise, the only Blur song I know is Song 2 and.. I was a little surprised no one got it back even though I couldn't have given a more direct clue when I asked them to name the album (5) and the song too....

As for 'Da ya think I'm sexy', here's another clip featuring some famous people, a man with costume trouble, then a touching moment between Rod Stewart and Kenny Everett... and so on.

On this clip is a stellar cover performance of the song which really takes it to a whole new level.

@Snargfargle Dusty Springfield was quite an avowed fan of Kenny Everett's too, did you know that?

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 3:41 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well, there's "Song to the siren" singing Elizabeth Frazer from Cocteau Twins.

also featured in a great scene from "Lost Highway"

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 4:41 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner video - but with AI generated images from the lyrics

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 3:41 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Just remembered the Portuguese have lots of nautical themed ballas, like this one from Madredeus:

They have in fact a whole very popular genre called Fado which is believed to had evolved from songs and ballads from seafarers longing and missing their home... there's definitively something "nautical" in the rhytm and slow tempo of Fado. 

• Like 3

A sea shanty is a song that sailors sang in rhythm to their movement, like hoisting sails or rowing boats. We did something similar in the Army when marching or running in formation.

A ballad is a narrative poem put to song.

However, a song can be both a shanty and a ballad at the same time. Take The Wellerman, for instance, which is a shanty as it has a beat you can row too but also a ballad as it tells the tale of a whaling ship that has become forever attached to a whale that refuses to die.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3

In fact... guess the song.

image.jpeg.5f56c40a90702c7952a1e4ffb5c0ab3a.jpeg

@Snargfargle Gingertail has some pretty amazing cover songs on YouTube.

Aye

In fact... guess the song.

image.jpeg.5f56c40a90702c7952a1e4ffb5c0ab3a.jpeg

Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" (... I come from the land of ice & snow with the midnight sun and where the hot springs flow...)

?

21 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" (... I come from the land of ice & snow with the midnight sun and where the hot springs flow...)

?

No, I may come up with extra hints tomorrow. This isn't Icelandic, I just framed it in a bit of a Scandinavian context because... anything cold reminds me of the north. This is apparently from a game of some sort, originally.

5 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

No, I may come up with extra hints tomorrow. This isn't Icelandic, I just framed it in a bit of a Scandinavian context because... anything cold reminds me of the north. This is apparently from a game of some sort, originally.

Hmmm.