Hooray! I'm Average!

Snargfargle

14 hours ago, tocqueville8 said:

Pretty sure that the average weighted (by number of battles) WR on each server is 49.9% or something (there are a few draws).

The average winrate is likely a bit lower, 48% or so. Very experienced players aren't necessarily good, but they should overall be better than newbies with 500-1000 games, of which there are a lot more. If anything, having more points on their captains should give them a small advantage, and I'd like to believe that people actually get a bit better after thousands of games.

so you dont think that having more losses then wins makes you an average player?

4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

The Snargfargle would be proud of this Dickens.

fun-monkey-picture-id91837681?k=6%26m=91

Snarg approves. I keep wishing that more people would post in Chat Funnies and write song parodies and fan fictions but few do.

Just now, Wulf_Ace said:

so you dont think that having more losses then wins makes you an average player?

I'm not sure I understand the question, or the point of the question. I wrote right there what the averages are.

2 minutes ago, tocqueville8 said:

I'm not sure I understand the question, or the point of the question. I wrote right there what the averages are.

your opinion, if you have more defeats then wins, should that make you an average player?

15 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

I think it's 60%, not actually sure about that if I'm honest. It just means someone who's stats are really good.

It depends what you want to call average to excellent. The categories and their labels on the stats fansites are arbitrary.

2021 overall Random winrate data for the NA server (last analyzed by Maple Syrup)

59% -- top 2%
57% -- top 5%
55% -- top 10%
53% -- top 15%
52% -- top 20%
50% -- top 33%
48% -- server average

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

@Snargfargle Congratulations. Getting numbers to move upwards with that many account battles is no mean (ha) feat. More than likely you've been playing far above average recently. 🎂

• Like 1

Here is an interesting graph that shows how relatively few people actually stick to playing this game over the long haul. The vast majority of players never reach it to 2000 battles played.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Here is a better pie chart. Blue represents those who have played 100 games but not yet 500, and so on. 100 games was chosen as the lower limit for analysis by Maple Syrup to weed out those people who merely tried the game a few times and then stopped playing because they didn't like it.

chart.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Here is a better pie chart. Blue represents those who have played 100 games but not yet 500, and so on. 100 games was chosen as the lower limit for analysis by Maple Syrup to weed out those people who merely tried the game a few times and then stopped playing because they didn't like it.

chart.png

Do you know if it is all games or just random games?

7 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

Do you know if it is all games or just random games?

These are Random games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those who want to crunch the numbers themselves, the 2021 data are still available on the closed Maple Syrup site. The absolute values have, of course, changed since then but I doubt that the percentiles have moved much in the past three years.

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/

You could collect a current data set from WOWS Stats and Numbers but it would be very time consuming as that site doesn't present the data in a nice downloadable spreadsheet like Maple Syrup did. The WOWS API is available too but I haven't learned how to query it.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/

https://developers.wargaming.net/reference/all/wot/account/list/?r_realm=na

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, iDuckman said:

The Snargfargle would be proud of this Dickens.

From the emoji’s, it looks like he derived some entertainment from it.

6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

chart.png

There is a big drop off from 2000 to 5000 battles, granted I have been playing since 2018 and I just reached 2000 battles but I haven't been playing crazily and I have taken a few large breaks from the game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Next average goal..   destruction ratio of 1!

Actually, that would be slightly above “average,” as in almost all battles, at least one member of the winning team survives.

2 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Actually, that would be slightly above “average,” as in almost all battles, at least one member of the winning team survives.

pretty sure it's still average.   We aren't talking ships destroyed per battle but ships destroyed per times destroyed.

which he/she is pretty close to atm.

Edited by WES_HoundDog

1 minute ago, WES_HoundDog said:

pretty sure it's still average.   We aren't talking ships destroyed per battle but ships destroyed per times destroyed.

That would be k/d ratio.

18 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

It depends what you want to call average to excellent. The categories and their labels on the stats fansites are arbitrary.

2021 overall Random winrate data for the NA server (last analyzed by Maple Syrup)

59% -- top 2%
57% -- top 5%
55% -- top 10%
53% -- top 15%
52% -- top 20%
50% -- top 33%
48% -- server average

I think unicum refers to the top 1% in a game which I would assume from this is 61% WR. Thank you for your breakdown as well, it was actually quite interesting. At the moment I can place myself in the top 10% which is not bad for someone like me. I am aiming for that 1% though haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

I think unicum refers to the top 1% in a game which I would assume from this is 61% WR. Thank you for your breakdown as well, it was actually quite interesting. At the moment I can place myself in the top 10% which is not bad for someone like me. I am aiming for that 1% though haha.

Well, the Maple Syrup data is old but I can go over to WOWS Stats and numbers and can count up the one-percenters. The problem with this, however, is that a lot of them are re-roll accounts. I did a test a few years back when I wasn't nearly as good at the game as I am now and even then got this by playing a new account.

Win rate 68.12%
Super Unicum
- -
Personal Rating (PR) 2 518
Super Unicum

We could count those accounts with more than, say 2000 games, as these are probably main accounts. However, even here there's a problem. One of these is inactive accounts. like mine up there. Another is shown by one of the top-rated players on the NA server:

Battles 23 126 46 156
Win rate 84.6%
Super Unicum
95.65%
Super Unicum
+ 0.02% 96.79%
Super Unicum
+ 0.08%
Personal Rating (PR) 2 684
Super Unicum
4 170
Super Unicum
+ 3 4 389
Super Unicum
+ 12

This player plays only at Tier I. If you played much at Tier I you will usually find that all but two of your opponents usually will be bots so this player is essentially playing a slightly more difficult Coop. Most people have 95% or better winrates in Coop. like me here.

shot-24-02-11-02-20-54-0617.jpg

The first "real" account I can find is a 77% one but hasn't played in years. At certain times in WOWS history there were "broken" ships that had not yet been nerfed and glitch exploits that had not yet been patched out. Take, for example, the players who had the Hakuryu back when it was starting perma-floods on every BB it hit with its torps because back then floods lasted for several minutes.

I had to go about 50 places down the leaderboard to find a "true" unicum, one who has played for a long time with all ship types at all tiers, is not a re-roll, and has played recently. This player has a 72% win rate.

If you go about 150 down the list, however, you start seeing some of the unicum clans you see in the active game, like SALTY, 07, BOTES, WRECK, etc. but even here stats are sometimes inflated due to them playing together in three-person divisions against random opponents unless another unicum division happens to be on the other team.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Well, the Maple Syrup data is old but I can go over to WOWS Stats and numbers and can count up the one-percenters. The problem with this, however, is that a lot of them are re-roll accounts. I did a test a few years back when I wasn't nearly as good at the game as I am now and even then got this by playing a new account.

Win rate 68.12%
Super Unicum
- -
Personal Rating (PR) 2 518
Super Unicum

We could count those accounts with more than, say 2000 games, as these are probably main accounts. However, even here there's a problem. One of these is inactive accounts. like mine up there. Another is shown by one of the top-rated players on the NA server:

Battles 23 126 46 156
Win rate 84.6%
Super Unicum
95.65%
Super Unicum
+ 0.02% 96.79%
Super Unicum
+ 0.08%
Personal Rating (PR) 2 684
Super Unicum
4 170
Super Unicum
+ 3 4 389
Super Unicum
+ 12

This player plays only at Tier I. If you played much at Tier I you will usually find that all but two of your opponents usually will be bots so this player is essentially playing a slightly more difficult Coop. Most people have 95% or better winrates in Coop. like me here.

shot-24-02-11-02-20-54-0617.jpg

The first "real" account I can find is a 77% one but hasn't played in years. At certain times in WOWS history there were "broken" ships that had not yet been nerfed and glitch exploits that had not yet been patched out. Take, for example, the players who had the Hakuryu back when it was starting perma-floods on every BB it hit with its torps because back then floods lasted for several minutes.

I had to go about 50 places down the leaderboard to find a "true" unicum, one who has played for a long time with all ship types at all tiers, is not a re-roll, and has played recently. This player has a 72% win rate.

If you go about 150 down the list, however, you start seeing some of the unicum clans you see in the active game, like SALTY, 07, BOTES, WRECK, etc. but even here stats are sometimes inflated due to them playing together in three-person divisions against random opponents unless another unicum division happens to be on the other team.

This is really nice work, thank you for putting the time in to share this with us!

49 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

My goal with my own account is to get it up to unicum standards. I am not looking to reroll at all. I will keep it the same and just get better at the game to improve those stats.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

My goal with my own account is to get it up to unicum standards. I am not looking to reroll at all. I will keep it the same and just get better at the game to improve those stats.

Can you think of any good reason for rerolling?

1 minute ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Can you think of any good reason for rerolling?

Hmm maybe if someone had incredibly bad stats and wants to start anew. Otherwise for me no not really, can't really think of a reason why.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Hmm maybe if someone had incredibly bad stats and wants to start anew. Otherwise for me no not really, can't really think of a reason why.

Well I have incredibly bad stats, but I don't really mind that much, and they are hidden. Of course, I do get the occasional 'Oh I see you've hidden your stats, and now I can see why' type of comments.

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well I have incredibly bad stats, but I don't really mind that much, and they are hidden. Of course, I do get the occasional 'Oh I see you've hidden your stats, and now I can see why' type of comments.

If you don't mind at the end of the day then there's no reason to!

• Like 1