Hooray! I'm Average!

Snargfargle

Finally clawed my way to a 50% winrate -- It's been a long, hard road.

shot-24-02-08-17-33-35-0203.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Technically, you’re above average. The player win rate distribution is skewed low.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Now, all you have to do is NEVER play Randoms again and you'll remain............"average" or a Little above average.......or, some such number that means.....ah, the heck with it: Well done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Congratulations.  🙂 

Star Trek: Enterprise version
It's been a long road, getting from there to here.
It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.
And I will see my dream come alive at last. I will touch the sky.
And they're not gonna hold me down no more, no they're not gonna change my mind.

Cause I've got faith of the heart.
I'm going where my heart will take me.
I've got faith to believe. I can do anything.
I've got strength of the soul. And no one's gonna bend or break me.
I can reach any star.
I've got faith.
I've got faith, faith of the heart.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Where_My_Heart_Will_Take_Me

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Technically, you’re above average. The player win rate distribution is skewed low.

Yes, IIRC if the distribution that had prevailed for a few years when the maplesyrup site closed down is still accurate, 50% WR is somewhere in the 55-60 percentile, and 52% is around the 65th. 

Edited by Pugilistic
  • Like 1

Gratz. Takes time to make the stat move, especially if you have bombed it initially with spamming a ton of games in garbage ships you didn't know how to play like I did. How's your wr graph look? 

3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Congratulations.  🙂 

Star Trek: Enterprise version

And now for the unicum version 

• Like 1

Congrats. I know how hard it is. I decided to get better a couple years ago. Had a sub-48% win rate, lol. I'm up to 50.7% now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Congratulations! That's an awesome achievement. Next goal is get that kill ratio up above 1.0. I believe in you!

• Like 1

Snarfgargle, my friend, don't fool yourself.  You are not average.

• Confused 1

I am clawing my way there too, I am at 49.3% and climbing! Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

how is 50% average? that is below average

I’m pretty sure the average WR across the game as a whole is closer to 48%. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

I’m pretty sure the average WR across the game as a whole is closer to 48%. 

Oh, I dearly hope not....

• Haha 1

I think Ive been stuck at 58% for about 5 years now. Dont know if that says more about me or the progression of the game.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I think Ive been stuck at 58% for about 5 years now. Dont know if that says more about me or the progression of the game.......

Yeah, what does that say? Maybe you are getting better at the same rate the game is getting worse.

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

13 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Very nice achievement.  With that number of battles under your belt, it gets harder to move the WR%.  

What this actually does say is that recently you were winning above the 50% mark - so pat yourself on the back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

But you can’t say for certain…Dickens wrote about this in his least- known work, A Tale of Two Divisions”:

“STAVE 1. Lesta’s Ghost: …(There is no doubt that Charles Dickens absolutely was paid by the word. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come from the story.)… It was the best of divisions, it was the worst of divisions…

There was a short-lived computer naval wargame (called Not World of Warships), not too long ago, in which exactly one hundred battles were fought, no more, no less. All of these battles, more (or less) valiantly (very well, often much less so) fought, resulted in exactly one hundred wins, and exactly one hundred losses.

Familiarly, their team format was twelve players per side, and it allowed also for divisions of up to three such player per team.

One particular three-man division [CRUSHR], due to its mastery of this naval pastime, participated in all one hundred battles, and in no small part due to their participation, won all one hundred battles.

Another division [MMHATEME] participated in the first fifty battles, and the cruel twists the of the matchmaker pitted them against [CRUSHR] in all fifty, and they lost all of said fifty. They became crestfallen, and departed the game from that point forward.

After that, a third division [MMHATEUS2] [ok, this lack of attention to detail was one of those things that condemned this to be Dickens’ least-known work.], of new players, and played in thirty-five. The same foul fate of the matchmaker befell them as it did [MMHATEME], but they were of weaker constitution, and, dejected, quit the game after only 35 battles, losing all.

Then came yet a fourth division [DUMF****’R’US], but this particular group of players had neither the inclination to care that their play was utterly wretched, nor the wherewithal to amend it. They would have been inclined to stay with the game forever, had such opportunity been afforded them, but alas, it was never to be.

The remaining player pool, of eighteen players, had the middling fortune of being so spread around among these one hundred battles that they each won 50%. They all participated equally in the same one hundred battles.

Lastly, the game folded after these same 100 battles, because a player base of 30 individuals could not support the developers’ prodigious appetite for yachts, vodka, caviar, and Byelorussian hookers.

Because their hearts never ventured from their money changing hole, the founders of NWoWs were condemned to forever walk the earth after their corporate deaths, carrying great weights of anchor chain, witnessing what they might have changed, having lost the power to do so. Yet these souls neither mourned themselves, nor sought the redemptions of like wretched souls remaining among the living.” (Another departure from Dickens’ normal winning formula, further condemning this short tale to be his most obscure work)

So, what is the average player win rate of Mr. Dickens’ small, but complete, player pool?

The arithmetic mean (average) win rate of of the individual players is…40%.

The average win rate of players, weighted by number of battle per player is…50%.

What measure of average did maplesyrup use? wows-numbers.com?

The median win rate is 50%.

The most commonly occurring winrate (the mode) is 50%

Does this “average win rate” (40%) accurately reflect what a player of “average” skill would be expected to obtain?

Extra credit:
What is the average (non weighted) win rate of playing in a division in the above Dickensian population? 

Yes, this is a contrived set of fictional (but mathematically viable) results, groomed to present a particular view.

It’s just presented as food for thought.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

The average winrate is 48%. If anything he's already above average.  

11 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Pretty sure that the average weighted (by number of battles) WR on each server is 49.9% or something (there are a few draws).

The average winrate is likely a bit lower, 48% or so. Very experienced players aren't necessarily good, but they should overall be better than newbies with 500-1000 games, of which there are a lot more. If anything, having more points on their captains should give them a small advantage, and I'd like to believe that people actually get a bit better after thousands of games.

• Like 1

So when does win rate become the fabled "unicum", whatever that is supposed to actually mean lol 

Just now, mashed68 said:

So when does win rate become the fabled "unicum", whatever that is supposed to actually mean lol 

I think it's 60%, not actually sure about that if I'm honest. It just means someone who's stats are really good.

On 2/8/2024 at 3:44 PM, Snargfargle said:

Don't I wish  ... I'm a typical 48%er (&, seemingly -ing). Good. Fight for that over 50% (wherever it is). I'll Div up (anytime).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Dickens wrote about this in his least- known work, A Tale of Two Divisions”:

The Snargfargle would be proud of this Dickens.

10 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

I think it's 60%, not actually sure about that if I'm honest. It just means someone who's stats are really good.

I think it is 60% actually

• Thanks 1

I tried finding an answer, but couldn't find quickly any source that would give a definitive answer. What they show on shiptool https://shiptool.st/monitor

leads me to think the minimum required might be 61.0 %, and going down from that the required percentages would be 56.0, 51.0, 46.0 and 41.0.