Recruiting Station Event - Are all New Players PVP???

Asym

6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Well, there's Operations Master Clamm... those are a bit more challenging than Co-op. But yeah, I also wish there would be some hybrid PvP/PvE mode, something like the Key Battles would be interesting.

Edit: and I was forgetting about Asymmetric, that was a lot of fun too.

Yea but even operations can get stale after a while you learn the routines but Asymmetric was a ton of fun.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Even all human teams at tier 5 are easier than PVE OPS and Asymmetric...the player skill at tier 5 is VERY low.

So then why don't all those players have a better then 96% win rate like Co-Op. Low skill players are on both teams so no its not easier it's just easier then higher tiers.

24 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

I didn't know that the new player server was an amalgam of the three regional servers.

I did not at first, either.  Not until on an EU account, just beginning a new player grind, did I discover this.  If you look at profiles, only players from your region will show up.  I had to go to WoWs Numbers, input their in-game name, and soon found out that players were from different regions. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Nice try to be contrarian & obfuscate. The more accurate description for PVP would be 'frustrating' with all the sub par dreck players there these days.

More contrarian to call others sub par. We can look at each others stats here.  This thread is about Div’ing up with new players to help them understand the basics.  I’d even be willing to Div up with long time players who struggle. I’m no unicum, but I am effective in my DD play. The more a player has positive battle impact, the more they will enjoy the game and their teams will appreciate it as well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HogHammer said:

I never said that anywhere in my overall agreement with you and said I do, in fact, have an issue with the mission you described.

I took it from what you actually said....  "I still encourage random battles until they make that choice..."   Which, for the people I've encouraged to play this game, it would have been a terrible way to start this game;  exposing them,  at their weakest, to some seriously skewed noob farming and toxic behaviors.......

I believe you have to "work up" to Randoms et al PVP modes of play.  Heck, if I had to do this over again, I never would have played almost 5K matches and having to report/block/blacklist dozens till a close friend invited me to COOP.....  And, there I be for over 30K matches....

Did I misunderstand...?  If I did, apologies !

Edited by Asym

56 minutes ago, clammboy said:

So then why don't all those players have a better then 96% win rate like Co-Op. Low skill players are on both teams so no its not easier it's just easier then higher tiers.

I meant that I found it easier...not that everyone finds it easier.

A distinction I did not make clear. Sorry.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I meant that I found it easier...not that everyone finds it easier.

A distinction I did not make clear. Sorry.

NP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No apology needed @Asym.  My point goes to the definition of a "new" player as described by WG (200 or few battles) versus what I view from community comments - new players generally with less than 1,000 (what we endearingly refer to as "noobs").

My point is that random battles for new players are a protected game mode if that player sticks to T1 to T4.  They are, for all intents and purposes, co-op-type battles.  You are lucky to find more than one real player in the red team lineup - the rest are bots.  I will add that very few of these players stay in this protected mode and just jump in by purchasing a higher-tier ship - a big mistake.  They suffer, and long-time players suffer, be it PvE or PvP.

Random play in this protected mode at least gives them a little, very little, taste of battles above that protected mode.  Is it enough? Absolutely not.  That jump into nonprotected randoms is brutal for most and an eye-opening experience.  Here, at least at this level of play, they can make their own individual decision - PvE or PvP.

I know too many PvP players, including myself, who started in co-op and, in hindsight, wish someone would have told them to stick with random (mentors would have helped greatly).  The gameplay is very different, and habits one picks up in co-op do not translate well into random battles.  There is a profound difference in what most co-op players refer to as "toxic" chat in PvP, and I can totally understand why, based on that alone, why many prefer PvE.  It is, from my limited experience, a much friendlier group.

This is also why I tend to stay out of PvE comments and especially questions.  I don't remember anything from those days.  The play style is different, and if someone asked for a captain or equipment build for that style of game, I would be lost.  It is nice to have dedicated veteran PvE players here to answer those questions and offer a helping hand - to new players or even PvP stiffs like me.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

if someone asked for a captain or equipment build for that style of game, I would be lost. 

PVP builds are quite compatible with PVE. Not necessarily the other way around.

As a PVE-centric player who also plays PVP from time to time, I make some concessions to PVP - e.g. almost always taking Concealment Expert on cruisers and destroyers -  but I am aware that taking many of my ships into PVP involves accepting the compromises I made to build them around their weapons and sometimes their sensors (e.g. RPF and commander skills that boost radar/hydro duration) rather than their concealment and/or survivability. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aethervox said:

ROFL. PVE is a 'kindergarten' experience. IMO, far too easy & boring. It is the 'kiddie' mode.

Again, you do realize that the entire game is designed for very, very young adults....yes?  The entire game is "Kiddie Mode"......lol.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Asym said:

Again, you do realize that the entire game is designed for very, very young adults....yes?  The entire game is "Kiddie Mode"......lol.

A lot of people don't realize it...or they would be way nicer in chat.

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Asym said:

WOWS draws an older crowd, even older than the average age of 31 for an online gamer. The forumers are even older. I once compiled the stated ages of the WOWS forumers in the "how old are you" thread and got an average of 36. While 18-year olds and younger comprise 24% of online gamers, the 18-34 age group comprises 36% and those 35 and older 40%. Just because certain aspects of a game are relatively easy and even repetitive doesn't necessarily make it bad. A lot of people play WOWS for relaxation.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/189582/age-of-us-video-game-players/

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Asym said:

Lmao what?

You think any historical game is targeted towards children/young adults? The main audience of these games are men from the age of 18-35, based off the WoWs Reddit. I have literally never met anyone younger than the age of 16 playing this game. 

Anyways regarding the original point of this thread, the main focus of this game is undoubtedly PvP (which should be abundantly clear to anyone who pays attention to the development or community of the game), and all my friends who I have recruited for this game do not have any issue with playing exclusively PvP. 

20 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

Anyways regarding the original point of this thread, the main focus of this game is undoubtedly PvP (which should be abundantly clear to anyone who pays attention to the development or community of the game), and all my friends who I have recruited for this game do not have any issue with playing exclusively PvP. 

I would say the main targeted goal of the game by WG is for it to be primarily PVP.

The users may not share that goal.

6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I would say the main targeted goal of the game by WG is for it to be primarily PVP.

The users may not share that goal.

They have said that they always considered Coop as more of a training environment for PvP play but they have had their fair share of PVE events in the game too -- Coop, Operations, the PVE Halloween events, and Asymmetric battles, so at least they've tried.

While it doesn't count for XP, the Training Room can be an interesting place as well, both PvE and PvP. I just wish that it would allow more than three bot CVs because I'd really like to give some of my AA-spec'd ships a workout.

10 hours ago, Frostbow said:

Unlikely, especially if the player is conscious of the rewards earned/snowflakes dusted off/dockyard or combat missions accomplished per amount of time spent in the game. I have seen super unicums go to Co-op to finish missions simply because it is more time efficient compared to doing it in Random Battles. In my case, I can easily transition from PVP to PVE and back again. Co-op still has its uses.

I hate to see PVP mains lower themselves by playing PVE. I'd just as soon they stay in PVP.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Unlooky said:

Lmao what?

You think any historical game is targeted towards children/young adults? The main audience of these games are men from the age of 18-35, based off the WoWs Reddit. I have literally never met anyone younger than the age of 16 playing this game. 

Oh gosh yes !   My Grandson is 11...  His entire posse are 10-11-ish (he got in trouble so he's pleading the 5th now about how many there are...)  The crew I discovered almost two years ago now, whom were slumming in Randoms causing all sorts of trouble, were 8-9 year olds, two of whom were playing their GP's accounts.  One locally: cause I recognized the game name.  I attempted to contact that player in port chat and he wouldn't chat....???  I got really worried;  cause, we're not kids anymore and called him later that night and asked:  it was his 10 year old Grand Daughter playing his account (supervised).  Oh my, that's just the accidental discoveries.....   

And, you may never talk to them - if they are playing their parents or grand parents accounts and are parent banned from Chat or Discord.  I interact with Home schooled families and they are always looking for non-graphically-violent military-esk games for their kids to play during the day as recess on bad days.....  I used to recommend this game for the 13 and older ones (you know, the ESRB-T crowd).  I don't demo this game anymore because of Randoms.  But, there are tens of thousands of kids looking for shoot-them-up, "military-esk" and Historic games.  It's a rather large market !

BTW, my grandson produces Early civilization history pieces for kids his age.....  And, he can correctly Identify all of my combat rifles; tell you their calibers; function check them and safely clear them....  He can't yet tell a Dimick from a Hawken from Bethlehem/Sharon Springs/Reading Flintlock;  but, he's getting there....  He even wants to "visit" my friends whom build muzzle loading rifles of all types (how do you.........sigh...) 

No, not all of the current generation are history impaired.  We are trying to get his Mom to allow a trip to Baton Rogue to visit the USS Kidd.....  (That would wig him out !)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asym said:

Oh gosh yes !   My Grandson is 11...  His entire posse are 10-11-ish (he got in trouble so he's pleading the 5th now about how many there are...)  The crew I discovered almost two years ago now, whom were slumming in Randoms causing all sorts of trouble, were 8-9 year olds, two of whom were playing their GP's accounts.  One locally: cause I recognized the game name.  I attempted to contact that player in port chat and he wouldn't chat....???  I got really worried;  cause, we're not kids anymore and called him later that night and asked:  it was his 10 year old Grand Daughter playing his account (supervised).  Oh my, that's just the accidental discoveries.....   

And, you may never talk to them - if they are playing their parents or grand parents accounts and are parent banned from Chat or Discord.  I interact with Home schooled families and they are always looking for non-graphically-violent military-esk games for their kids to play during the day as recess on bad days.....  I used to recommend this game for the 13 and older ones (you know, the ESRB-T crowd).  I don't demo this game anymore because of Randoms.  But, there are tens of thousands of kids looking for shoot-them-up, "military-esk" and Historic games.  It's a rather large market !

BTW, my grandson produces Early civilization history pieces for kids his age.....  And, he can correctly Identify all of my combat rifles; tell you their calibers; function check them and safely clear them....  He can't yet tell a Dimick from a Hawken from Bethlehem/Sharon Springs/Reading Flintlock;  but, he's getting there....  He even wants to "visit" my friends whom build muzzle loading rifles of all types (how do you.........sigh...) 

No, not all of the current generation are history impaired.  We are trying to get his Mom to allow a trip to Baton Rogue to visit the USS Kidd.....  (That would wig him out !)  

Sounds like these kids are the exception and not the norm. The simple facts are that military games such as War Thunder, WoWs, WoT, all are targeted towards young-ish adults. 80% of those users who responded to that poll fell within the 18-35 age group. That is the core audience of World of Warships.

Relevant image

History enthusiasts when their history final isnt just about naming tanks  and planes from - iFunny Brazil

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gillhunter said:

I hate to see PVP mains lower themselves by playing PVE. I'd just as soon they stay in PVP.

Well there is nothing you can do about it. At the end of the day, it is after all, their choice what mode they want to play.

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

13 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Of course it is!

What do you expect them to do? Wave their hands and say "Hey everyone! Go outside and touch grass for a month"? 😂

What? I expect nothing nor do I care. I just pointed out a likely reason from excluding coop from this thingy. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Frostbow said:

Well there is nothing you can do about it. At the end of the day, it is after all, their choice what mode they want to play.

I wouldn't want them to miss the frustration of playing PVP. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Unlooky said:

Sounds like these kids are the exception and not the norm. The simple facts are that military games such as War Thunder, WoWs, WoT, all are targeted towards young-ish adults. 80% of those users who responded to that poll fell within the 18-35 age group. That is the core audience of World of Warships.

Relevant image

History enthusiasts when their history final isnt just about naming tanks  and planes from - iFunny Brazil

Let me say this about Cultures....  Every other age segment act as their Grandparents acted.  My generation of Boomer's Grand Fathers fought in WW1.  So, we grew up knowing about how we got into that conflict and of the Steel Strikes and what came before in the Coal Regions of PA....  My parents, my Dad and all of his brothers fought in WW2 and my children "resemble" my parents cultural dispositions despite all that we tried to instill in them !  They act like my Parents.  My grand children are like us.....they value what we value and are taking the time to "Know History, so as to not repeat it....".   This happens normally.....in most places.

So, we have an entire age segment that wants "Historical" games to play.  And, they are playing those games that appeal to them needs..........whether their parents know it or not.  We simply chuckle as they simply wander over, take my Buffalo robe and Whitney compote and sit in the backyard, in 10 degree weather, trying to use a flint and steel to start a fire....  "Hey Gramps could you....."  You betcha.  My Grand Daughters especially like the Indian Bead necklaces I make...  History mate, repeats itself.......and, those whom fail to study it, are really, making their lives difficult....

BTW, one of my grand daughters is trying to improve the fire kits I make and give away:

fire.JPG.5564f7a6b24c7af744e08e494f5a1a93.JPG  I always take suggestions !

Edited by Asym

18 hours ago, Asym said:

Let me say this about Cultures....  Every other age segment act as their Grandparents acted. 

There is truth in that statement. Traditionally, mothers were too busy having and nursing the little kids to mentor the older girls. Fathers were out hunting, in the fields plowing, or off to war and couldn't do the same for the boys. Therefore, grandparents or grandparent surrogates became the mentors.

We tend to think of our grandparents as serene, wise, and somewhat sedentary but forget that they were young once themselves. Grandma once showed me some pictures of her and grandpa when they were dating back in the early 1920s.  Grandma was dressed like a "flapper" and I was amazed at how cute she had been as a teenager. Grandpa didn't own a car but his friend had a Model T roadster. Since it only had room for two, he and grandpa bolted on another car seat so grandpa and grandma could ride around with him and his girlfriend. Grandma said it was usually the two girls riding in the upper seat talking girl stuff while the boys were driving and talking guy stuff. I don't have those pictures as my brother took all the family photo albums to pass on to his grand-kids but this AI image is similar to what it looked like.

5b718f3b-ab64-4c9c-b523-81331af57235.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1