WOT: another forum bites the dust...

Verblonde

The closest terminology I feel would be Ammo-Wrack(Ed). 

I know that WoT console had a independent forum at one point, been a while since I checked. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GandalfTehGray said:

I know that WoT console had a independent forum at one point, been a while since I checked. 

👍

12 hours ago, ArIskandir said:
23 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

How about naming it "TurretStruck!"?

For a moment I read "TurretStuck!" 🤣...  

Gun Turret Jack-In-The-Box: Myth or Reality?

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 10:00 PM, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

LandShip: A WoT community forum 

We have DevStrike! so the equivalent should be AmmoRack!
edit: Looks like @GandalfTehGray beat me to it! 
NGL, I think I got PTSD after we lost our forum because as soon as I saw this posted on Reddit I automatically had a reaction!

• Like 4

When a company starts cutting expenses, there is a problem. It means the company is making less cash and needs to start cutting some things to make up for it. In gaming, the forums are, most of the time, the first to go.

17 minutes ago, USMC2145 said:

In gaming, the forums are, most of the time, the first to go.

The community managers of the WOWS forum always said that less than 5% of players ever came to it. I used to ask players if they ever visited the forum in game chat the game and the most usual response I got was "This game has a forum?" That's not unusual. When I first started playing multiplayer online games I played Age of Empires III online for two years before someone mentioned in chat that there was a forum. Before that I never thought of looking for one. That said, I much prefer a forum discussion format to something like Reddit or Discord.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

The community managers of the WOWS forum always said that less than 5% of players ever came to it. I used to ask players if they ever visited the forum in game chat the game and the most usual response I got was "This game has a forum?" That's not unusual. When I first started playing multiplayer online games I played Age of Empires III online for two years before someone mentioned in chat that there was a forum. Before that I never thought of looking for one. That said, I much prefer a forum discussion format to something like Reddit or Discord.

What makes WG think Discord will be any more popular?

Particularly with how poorly it's moderated?

• Thanks 1

My personal opinion is that WG shut down the WoWS forum, and are shutting down the WoT forum, because permanent or long term messages come back to bite them on the backside.

Every CM on the WoWS forum was caught out more than once making statements which were demonstrated later to be false one way or another.

More significantly when you have the most respected and best informed reviewers making posts which are extremely critical of aspects of the game ... that's a problem. I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone here how detailed and researched @LittleWhiteMouse's critiques of the AntiAir implementation were.

Then there were the posts which came out every time WG released another money grab ... showing the math that spelled out just how much money these 'events' would cost you.

Much better to have a short retention discord where such inconvenient posts can be made to disappear with ease.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

Much better to have a short retention discord where such inconvenient posts can be made to disappear with ease.

They don't actually even have to try very hard for that to happen. Trying to keep tabs on the discussions on any larger Discord server is like trying to watch Star Wars opening credits for at least three hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

They don't actually even have to try very hard for that to happen. Trying to keep tabs on the discussions on any larger Discord server is like trying to watch Star Wars opening credits for at least three hours.

Indeed.

Plus the constant trolling by WG volunteers that goes unmoderated is really off-putting.

The whole thing seems designed to create an echo chamber so WG staff can keep gaslighting folks in the community about how WG actually runs the game...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, USMC2145 said:

When a company starts cutting expenses, there is a problem. It means the company is making less cash and needs to start cutting some things to make up for it. In gaming, the forums are, most of the time, the first to go.

I suppose cutting off half your company will result in problems and lower cash flow.  However, the cost of maintaining Forums is miniscule next to other operating costs, so I believe the forum shutdowns have more to do with WG not wanting a relatively static and measured place for discussion instead of a fast-paced and dramatic place where they can claim anything posted was just missed in the waterfall of posts.

• Like 3

I can't really say that I miss the official WOWS forum at all. This "fansite" forum is much more cordial and laid back. While I was active on the official forum for a long time and (for the most part) found the forumers themselves to be helpful, friendly, and cordial, I can't say the same for many of the WOWS staff, who were constantly acting in a petulant and childish manner.

My scientific and historical discussion posts were being constantly deleted because the WOWS moderators tolerated little in the way of deviation from anything not specifically pertaining to their game. And heaven forbid that you should even utter the name of WOWS' major competitor, even to say that you liked WOWS more.

Deviations from "The Topic" were quickly quashed, even when the discussion naturally evolved down a new (but related) path. Did the moderators envision that their forum's posts would be archived to be research by gaming scholars from the distant future? Good luck with that. Much of the information pertaining to a topic was usually invalidated with the next patch drop. and we all know what finally happened to the forum itself.

The post deletion and forum banning was what finally got me though. The tiniest insertion of humor in order to cool down an argument usually resulted in a post deletion for it being "off topic." Sometimes I had a posts deleted and was giving a "warning" by the same moderator who asked me the question that I was answering.

I also was constantly being banned for nonsense. Once, I posted a picture of a socialite carrying a Chihuahua and said "I was carried in my last game like a Chihuahua puppy" and got banned from the forums until I contacted Wargaming, who re-instated my account and sent me an official apology letter. Another time, I was banned when a moderator kept ranting about kittens and I asked him why he didn't like kittens. Again, Wargaming lifted the ban with an apology letter. I was banned for saying that my last battle went about as good as the Battle of Savo Island, and another time for "naming and shaming" simply because I linked a WOWS replay and gave a breakdown of the battle when I was trying to analyze why "snowball" losses occurred. Each time, Wargaming lifted the bans.

I had to submit support tickets because PMing the "community leaders," showing that my posts were all well within the boundaries of the posted forum Code of Conduct and the game's Terms of Service fell on deaf ears. One "community leader" even PM'd me back and said "If you don't like the way I run the forums then leave them." It would have been fun to have hit exactly 20,000 posts, and I was close, but I eventually got tired of it all and did leave the forum. Good riddance. I like this one a lot better.

Thanks to @Wolfswetpaws for sending me a message in the game about this forum. I hadn't played WOWS for six months and don't know how long his message languished there but I eventually logged in to see what was what and got it.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Thanks to @Wolfswetpaws for sending me a message in the game about this forum. I hadn't played WOWS for six months and don't know how long his message languished there but I eventually logged in to see what was what and got it.

Welcome back!  Hoping we keep getting more of the 'old guard' here.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 4:50 PM, yss_turtleship said:

We have DevStrike! so the equivalent should be AmmoRack!
edit: Looks like @GandalfTehGray beat me to it! 
NGL, I think I got PTSD after we lost our forum because as soon as I saw this posted on Reddit I automatically had a reaction!

The one glaring thing about the WoT forum is that I think more WoWs forumites were up in arms about the closure of their forum. This is interesting since WoT is older than WoWs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yss_turtleship said:

The one glaring thing about the WoT forum is that I think more WoWs forumites were up in arms about the closure of their forum. This is interesting since WoT is older than WoWs.

I suspect there are two factors contributing to this, the first being that the closure of the WoWs forums last fall came out of nowhere, while this closure may not have been as much of a surprise. I also suspect WoWs’ playerbase trends a bit older than WoTs’, so there may be less desire for a forum vs. Discord.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 9:42 AM, Jakob Knight said:

I suppose cutting off half your company will result in problems and lower cash flow.  However, the cost of maintaining Forums is miniscule next to other operating costs, so I believe the forum shutdowns have more to do with WG not wanting a relatively static and measured place for discussion instead of a fast-paced and dramatic place where they can claim anything posted was just missed in the waterfall of posts.

I agree, and the delete button works much better for them on Discord, lol.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:12 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Gun Turret Jack-In-The-Box: Myth or Reality?

Some do. Tirpitz is suspected of having one of its turrets chucked into the harbour just before it rolled over.....Roma stayed afloat for a while after having one of her turrets launched into the air...Hood is also believed to have both X and Y turret tossed out when she went up.

• Like 1