15% more radius is 32% more area

SoshiSone

Demolition expert gives a 15% boost in the blast radius versus subs.  I'm a BB main and have killed many subs using HE shells.  You don't need a direct hit.  Just gotta get resonably close.  Of course, the sub has to be periscope depth or on the surface, but they only hold their breath for so long....or sometimes they're too slow to dive when spotted.  Not to mention the vulnerability of subs to vector area fire on spot or cap rings.

I bring this up because on some BBs (e.g., Vanguard) where HE is a necessary part of the toolkit, demolition expert is an important complementary skill.  Traditionally a skill to help set fires on surface ships.  However, with the advent of subs it also gives a buff versus subs.  Basically a 15% increase in the explosion radius.

One thing to note is when it comes to area, radius is squared.  Hence, if you work the percentages, a 15% buff in radius comes out to about a 32% increase in area.  This is a very noticable difference when targeting subs with HE.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Its proving useful in general, and an unexpected threat for the edge case of resetting a capping sub. 

Edited by Pugilistic

This is why most everything i get DE on now a-days.  I believe it works for ap as well.

On 2/3/2024 at 2:45 AM, SoshiSone said:

Vanguard) where HE is a necessary part of the toolkit,

Hmm, maybe time to reconsider my ammo choices for Vanguard. Given the magic you work with her, I can only conclude that I've been doing it wrong.

Back on the topic, your post is gold.

On 2/3/2024 at 1:15 AM, SoshiSone said:

One thing to note is when it comes to area, radius is squared.  Hence, if you work the percentages, a 15% buff in radius comes out to about a 32% increase in area.  This is a very noticable difference when targeting subs with HE. 

Extremely helpful post - many thanks! I think I may need to revisit a few captains...

Salute.gif.aafc32310bb5012f9701cdd141377b22.gif