What's This? It's got a Good Beat! (Megadeth)

Verblonde

On 8/29/2023 at 10:26 AM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I'm going to do the mission for the free 6-pointer, choosing the creepy captain because he looks cool, and because I've never been a fan of Megadeth (I couldn't even name one of their songs!) and Mustaine himself means nothing to me (other than having the reputation of a respected and highly skilled musician). 

Same.

Not familiar with MD outside the name; so really don’t know who to pick. (I’m done.)

17 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Same.

Not familiar with MD outside the name; so really don’t know who to pick. (I’m done.)

Neither am I. I don't think I've heard a single one of their songs. But the Vic Rattlehead commander looks aesthetically cool.

If memory serves, they were of most note at the back end of the eighties - there was a bit of a heavy/thrash metal thing going on around then (and - no doubt - an inordinate amount of hairspray used too). Spotty teenage me rather liked the pertinent Megadeth effort (along with people like Metallica, Anthrax, et al.)...

1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've completed the in-game mission and can choose either Dave Mustaine or Vic Rattlehead as a reward.

image_2023-09-02_153555967.thumb.png.cb4775d5ca2530555af94d82c46ac56f.png

Take Dave, in my opinion the voiceover is much better.

8 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've completed the in-game mission and can choose either Dave Mustaine or Vic Rattlehead as a reward.

image_2023-09-02_153555967.thumb.png.cb4775d5ca2530555af94d82c46ac56f.png

6 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Take Dave, in my opinion the voiceover is much better.

I chose to welcome Commander "Vic Rattlehead" (6 skill points) as a reward.
I've also chosen to welcome Commander Dave Mustaine (12 skill points) in exchange for 3,500 doubloons in the Armory.
As the collaboration event ship, the "Rattlehead", is a clone of the Marblehead that I already have in my Port (with the exception of the ship Rattlehead's different camouflage), I've decided to not spend the doubloons needed to welcome the ship to my Port.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 11:35 AM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Yukikaze was a mishmash of things already in the game (Kagero hull, F3 torpedoes)

To me, the Yukikaze is a fine tier 8 premium DD, at least for operations.  Her 8 km torps are a pain to use in randoms due to radar.  But in operations, where radar really isn't a thing, you can have some monster games if used with care. 

On 9/2/2023 at 3:45 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

As the collaboration event ship, the "Rattlehead", is a clone of the Marblehead that I already have in my Port (with the exception of the ship Rattlehead's different camouflage), I've decided to not spend the doubloons needed to welcome the ship to my Port.

I feel the same as you on this, since I already own the Marblehead and Marblehead Lima.  And I tend to not play my tier 5 and even 6 premiums all that much these days. Just not worth the dubs for another Marblehead.  Honestly, I don't know why they didn't create a clone of the Pensacola or New Orleans, for example, as it seems like there'd have been more interest in them.  Heck, I really wish that they wouldn't be so cheap and would create "clones" that were more unique rather the copy and paste clones that are nothing but the same old ships with a fancy paint job.

5 hours ago, Crucis said:

I feel the same as you on this, since I already own the Marblehead and Marblehead Lima.  And I tend to not play my tier 5 and even 6 premiums all that much these days. Just not worth the dubs for another Marblehead.  Honestly, I don't know why they didn't create a clone of the Pensacola or New Orleans, for example, as it seems like there'd have been more interest in them.  Heck, I really wish that they wouldn't be so cheap and would create "clones" that were more unique rather the copy and paste clones that are nothing but the same old ships with a fancy paint job.

Perhaps they consider it's nice to have some sort of pun (Marblehead→ Rattlehead), and perhaps they consider with the configuration of the Omaha-class it would be easier to add a model of Vic Rattlehead in front of the bridge.

7 hours ago, Crucis said:

That being said, I think @Project45_Opytny is right, though.

2 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Perhaps they consider it's nice to have some sort of pun (Marblehead→ Rattlehead), and perhaps they consider with the configuration of the Omaha-class it would be easier to add a model of Vic Rattlehead in front of the bridge.

This collaboration seems... fun, but also .... affordable.

1.  A choice of one "free" Commander as a reward for completing the mission-chain.
2.  Bundles which offer reasonable value.  The 12 point commanders for 3,500 doubloons are within reach of many player's budgets.
3.  For a "few doubloons more", a player could get the all-in-one bundle of two commanders and a compatible ship for 10,000 doubloons.

I have the impression this collaboration is intended for newer players who are building their fleets and for players who don't have a lot of other premium ships in their fleet.
Collectors can decide if they want the ship, or not, at their discretion, of course.

Personally, I like this Megadeth collaboration. 
The only option I'd add would be to have the ship available separately.  But, that's a WOWs & Megadeth marketing decision and I wasn't consulted.  🙂 

Since welcoming Commanders Vic Rattlehad and Dave Mustaine, I've been playing my Marblehead for the fun of it and wrote about it in another topic.

https://www.devstrike.net/topic/40-if-our-captains-could-talk-again/?do=findComment&comment=5039

As coal ships go, the Marblehead is affordable, can train commanders and offers a ton of silly fun.

• Like 1

Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

I have the impression this collaboration is intended for newer players who are building their fleets and for players who don't have a lot of other premium ships in their fleet.

This.

I agree that the value of 12-pointer event commander varies from player to player due to the different needs. The commander, regardless of his/her skill points, unlocks his/her unique voice-over, and I have enough 10-pointer USN commanders as well as means to generate more Elite XP, besides I am only moderately interested in metal music. So I chose Mr. Mustaine from the mission chain, assigned him to IV Phoenix (I have both versions of Marblehead as well as Murmansk and see no point in maintaining a dedicated commander for Omaha; not to say her historical WWII hull has been removed) and call it a day.

I've read that when some players are interested in WG's approach that Megadeth commanders will have Tornado of Souls played in lieu of standard battle score/BGM, a few has complained that metal music, for them, is noisy and distracting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I've read that when some players are interested in WG's approach that Megadeth commanders will have Tornado of Souls played in lieu of standard battle score/BGM, a few has complained that metal music, for them, is noisy and distracting.

This isn’t the first time WG has done this. The Transformers commanders also come with an alternative BGM track.

On 8/29/2023 at 4:55 PM, Nevermore135 said:

She is indeed a Marblehead clone. It’s a bit disappointing that WG didn’t at least make her a premium clone of Omaha - we already have both Marblehead and Marblehead L, after all.

We sort of have a premium clone of Omaha, Murmansk.

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

We sort of have a premium clone of Omaha, Murmansk.

She’s arguably even less of an Omaha clone than Marblehead. Murmansk has two fewer guns, half as many (but Soviet) torpedoes, and magical Stalinium shells.

81C33CE7-CB99-4AE7-9C14-AFB5A1754939.thumb.jpeg.cd6dd592c683145f67a201d5d548a3a5.jpeg

There are no true Omaha clones in the game. All three ships of the class featured have unique features.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

I'm planning to put Vic Rattlehead on the New York with skull camo and jolly roger II flag.  He will be retrained on WV '41 .  My Omaha has a very good captain already.

25 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I'm planning to put Vic Rattlehead on the New York with skull camo and jolly roger II flag.  He will be retrained on WV '41 .  My Omaha has a very good captain already.

👍

10 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

She’s arguably even less of an Omaha clone than Marblehead. Murmansk has two fewer guns, half as many (but Soviet) torpedoes, and magical Stalinium shells.

81C33CE7-CB99-4AE7-9C14-AFB5A1754939.thumb.jpeg.cd6dd592c683145f67a201d5d548a3a5.jpeg

There are no true Omaha clones in the game. All three ships of the class featured have unique features.

So, twins rather then than actual clones. Does this mean that it's alright to use the same ship class as a basis of additional ships if they aren't straightforward clones but each with their subtle changes and own characteristics?

@MidnightPhoenix07 Yes, Murmansk was my first premium ship, IIRC, and at least back then it was a really good cruiser to play.

40 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

twins rather then than actual clones.

Fraternal twins.

13 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

and most balansed

This.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

So, twins rather then than actual clones.

Or sisters, to use the common vernacular.

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Does this mean that it's alright to use the same ship class as a basis of additional ships if they aren't straightforward clones but each with their subtle changes and own characteristics?

I don’t think I ever insinuated it wasn’t. Two of my favorite tier VIII cruisers that have been in the game for ages are Hipper and Prinz Eugen, which WG rebalanced years ago to better differentiate from each other. Examples like that and Omaha/Murmansk/Marblehead are perfectly fine, IMO, as well as examples of different ships at different tiers with different gameplay experiences like Amagi/Ashitaka or Yamato/Musashi, despite the balance issues with the latter.

I think premium clones of tech tree ships are generally great fits for collaboration events, because they offer something unique (premium benefits on tech tree ships) without introducing game balance issues. The ARP events have generally been good examples of this, with their Kongo, Myoko, and Yamato clones, doubly so because in previous events it’s been possible to get some of these ships for free. And offering premium clones of premium ships isn’t really a fundamental problem IMO either (although I think most players would agree that unique ships are preferable).

Things get more complicated and harder to justify when collaboration ships are premium clones of already existing premium ships that are already available for free (in game resources) and/or reduced cost. Marblehead has the distinction of being a relatively inexpensive coal ship, so IMO (and I’m not a hard-core Megadeth fan, so this should be taken with a grain a salt) it’s hard to justify spending cash for a cosmetic variation of her. Hence my earlier comment that I wish she was an Omaha (a tech tree ship) clone instead or a skin (which could be sold at a cheaper price) for said readily available coal ship. WG even gave out a Marblehead for “free” in a Prime Gaming bundle recently, which is where I got mine.

It also rubs me the wrong way that the only way to obtain Rattlehead is from an expensive bundle, but that’s more a criticism of WG’s marketing strategies and something I’ve been commenting on for years.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Things get more complicated and harder to justify when collaboration ships are premium clones of already existing premium ships that are already available for free (in game resources) and/or reduced cost. Marblehead has the distinction of being a relatively inexpensive coal ship, so IMO (and I’m not a hard-core Megadeth fan, so this should be taken with a grain a salt) it’s hard to justify spending cash for a cosmetic variation of her. Hence my earlier comment that I wish she was an Omaha (a tech tree ship) clone instead or a skin (which could be sold at a cheaper price) for said readily available coal ship. WG even gave out a Marblehead for “free” in a Prime Gaming bundle recently, which is where I got mine.

It also rubs me the wrong way that the only way to obtain Rattlehead is from an expensive bundle, but that’s more a criticism of WG’s marketing strategies and something I’ve been commenting on for years.

I tend to cut WG a fair bit of slack on collaborations where the event leans heavily on the other party's IP (Megadeth and Popeye captains, Azur Lane commanders etc), because we the customers can't be absolutely sure of how much of the marketing is WG and how much is the partner influencing how its product will be sold/taking their part of the cut. That being said, there have been positive developments in that regard; e.g. the change announced some time ago that boxes which dropped commanders would henceforth be coded not to drop duplicates until the player had them all. 

On the other hand, things like the Colour ships (North Carolina, Roon, Kleber premium clones) are all on WG, and if the way you run your fleet and assign your captains leaves you wondering how the @#$% WG can charge that sort of $$ for that sort of thing and no way are you getting involved, I'm far less inclined to call for benefit of the doubt to be given.

18 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

In a drunken fury my Lenin scored a kraken and now Vic Rattlehead commands the New York.  Charles Murray (13pt) is now available for more serious stuff.

image.thumb.png.3f44f1c4ee5a6591815bb6008f38471f.png