What book would you add commander/ships names from

kriegerfaust

2 hours ago, HogHammer said:

There are many books on Captain Edward Teach (Blackbeard).  WoWs did in the past have a "Pirate's Day" and award a flag.  Would really like to see Captain Edward Teach added along with a special flag.  Perhaps even a rough, gravelly voice to complete.

Teach1.thumb.jpg.55a51684247a1af0313544b012ab4585.jpg

All genuine pirates would talk in a West Country accent. Well, at least as far as the popular myth goes.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kriegerfaust said:

is anyone else getting the idea that Artemis is into women and only boys/men count against virginity maidenhood or am i reading too much into it

the older men with boys does not make the Greeks and Romans a gay paradise, also in general the gods had a weird thing about consent see the myth of medusa

Sorry I missed your coment @kriegerfaust, next time please quote me or tag me so I get a notification. 

The first thing to understand about the concept of Virginity is how it relates to Property. All the jazz about Virginity comes as a way to reassure your offspring (as a male) is your own, this is relevant because your offspring will inherit your Property and for several reasons I won't detail here, it is "important" in order to secure the continuity of your "blood", "lineage" or however you want to call it. Virginity has no relevance for dispossesed/poor social classes as they have no property or legacy to inherit and sometimes they are considered property themselves. In this context, considering that lesbian intercourse can not generate offspring, it effectively does not count against virginity maidenhood, at least that's the interpretation I find more logical. So yes, they can have lesbian relationships and remain maidens. 

Now, back into the idea of Artemis being "into women", there's the myth of Callisto. She was one of Artemis' maiden companions but was seduced by Zeus taking the apearance of Artemis!... was it Callisto harboring a secret love for Artemis?, were they already into "something" and Zeus took the chance?, was it customary for Artemis to seduce her companions so Callisto thought it was nothing to worry about? ... we don't know, but Callisto got pregnant with yet another Zeus' child (Arcas) and when Artemis noticed she cursed Callisto for breaking her maiden vow. 

On the other hand, there's the myth of Aura. She was another one of Artemis maiden companions, she mocked Artemis for having a voluptuous woman-like body, unbecoming of a virgin (Aura herself was very lithe and flat-chested), basically she says Artemis body is too "sexual" to be a virgin... Artemis of course gets offended and gets her raped by Dyonissus. But the point here is Artemis may consider herself more of a non-sexual being, like sex is not even a consideration for her and she shuns any reference of it. 

I think the "virginity" of Artemis has more to do with Independence than to what we understand as "chastity". She refuses to be subjugated and controlled for being anyone's wife. So, her maidenhood becomes the symbol of her Independence, of her being free from the bondage of marriage and motherhood... forever free to roam and do as she pleases. 

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 2

Some good names in the Hornblower series: Pellew, Indefatigable, Atropos, Lydia, Sutherland, Hotspur, Witch of Endor, Nonsuch.

There was an Eendracht in that series.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

the bondage of marriage and motherhood...

In the Odyssey, Penelope wasn't putting off the suitors in order to remain true to Odysseus. Penelope was a daughter of a Sparta. The Spartans inherited the land through the women, though the men governed and protected it. With Odysseus missing in action and presumed dead, Ithaca couldn't have a new king until Penelope chose to marry one. This is pretty much how the great apes, of which we are a member, have done things for millions of years.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

In the Odyssey, Penelope wasn't putting off the suitors in order to remain true to Odysseus. Penelope was a daughter of a Sparta. The Spartans inherited the land through the women, though the men governed and protected it. With Odysseus missing in action and presumed dead, Ithaca couldn't have a new king until Penelope chose to marry one. 

On most of the Hellas, Athens included, inheritance was patrilineal and women couldn't "own" property. A woman could inherit but the property would be under her husband control until it could be trasferred to the "legitimate" heir, who would be their son. 

For Penelope it made sense to keep waiting for Odysseus as she was the de-facto administrator of the property while her husband was absent, at least until Telemachus return (as he would be the legitimate heir). If Odysseus was declared officially dead (and Telemachus being missing), she would be forced to re-marry and then be forced to submit a new present husband... basically a "hostile takeover". After many years of enjoying a high degree of autonomy, I don't think she'll be in much hurry to submit to a new husband anyway. 

9 minutes ago, kriegerfaust said:

the dune series books has a lot of great stuff

HMS Sardaukar has some potential but I'm not too convinced about USS Muad'dib  😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

On most of the Hellas, Athens included, inheritance was patrilineal and women couldn't "own" property.

In my graduate seminar in ancient Greek history the professor said that the legend of Penelope hearkened back to older times. By the Hellenic period, Athens was strictly patriarchal. However, in Sparta women were treated as equals to the men. In fact, since the Spartan men were frequently away at war, the responsibility of the administration of the city state oftentimes fell to the women. Penelope was Spartan.

"Heiresses in Sparta – that is, daughters without legitimate brothers of the same father – were called patrouchoi, which means literally 'holders of the patrimony', whereas in Athens they were called epikleroi, which means 'on (i.e. going with) the kleros (allotment, lot, portion)'. Athenian epikleroi, that is, served merely as a vehicle for transmitting the paternal inheritance to the next male heir and owner, that is to their oldest son, their father’s grandson, whereas Spartan patrouchoi inherited in their own right." -- Paul Cartledge, The Spartans: The World of the Warrior-Heroes of Ancient Greece.

Another thing I find interesting about the Odyssey is that Odysseus was a superb archer. Telemachus, his son's name literally translates as "far-fighter," that is, an archer.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

Yes RN Parmentier, no LR Tleilax or landsraad

Edited by kriegerfaust

16 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

HMS Sardaukar has some potential but I'm not too convinced about USS Muad'dib  😆

That's why I went with spaceworm for the name of a ship. The spaceworms of Arrakis weren't the tiny red wigglers we have here on Earth.

Although we do have some pretty vicious worms here on Earth too.

ca7756dff9ef253585d6c4da6d84a206.jpg&f=1

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, kriegerfaust said:

Yes RN Parmentier, no LR Tleilax or landsraad

VMF Vladimir Harkonnen and HNLMS Piter De Vries are also pretty straightforward...

1 hour ago, kriegerfaust said:

the dune series books has a lot of great stuff

Books based on a desert world seems to be the antithesis of a naval game.

Just now, HamptonRoads said:

Books based on a desert world seems to be the antithesis of a naval game... just sayin

but there is space, also trek Mara Jade, Admiral Thrawn

And so many good star destroyer names to steal, i mean borrow

Executor, Annihilator, Terminator

• Like 1

"No 6".  sorry cant post photos in case I get banned 😜

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HamptonRoads said:

Books based on a desert world seems to be the antithesis of a naval game.

HMS Camel?

39 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

"No 6".  sorry cant post photos in case I get banned 😜

🤔

5 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

HMS Camel?

🤔

Ships of the desert.

• Like 1

you know, I've been thinking about it......

lets go with the 'Legends' book series (the original expanded universe) for this:

Star Wars Rebels resurrects Grand Admiral Thrawn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kriegerfaust said:

but there is space, also trek Mara Jade, Admiral Thrawn

And so many good star destroyer names to steal, i mean borrow

Executor, Annihilator, Terminator

The entire Uchuu Senkan Yamato anime' series and movies, and related works, such as Galaxy Express and Captain Harlock, come to my mind.

By the way, Mara Jade and Admiral Thrawn are from Star Wars, not Star Trek.

Star Trek often has Federation ships with names that have relevance to Earth history.  The Grissom, for example.
But the Klingon and Romulan, and other space-faring cultures, have their own "flavor" and set of traditions and naming philosophies, I feel.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

4 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Ships of the desert.

Which reminded me of the Barsoom series authored by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Barsoom (known to humans as Mars, and known as Garobus by Jupiter's inhabitants) is the fourth planet in the Solar System, and the main setting of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Martian novels. It is orbited by the moons Thuria (Phobos) and Cluros (Deimos). In the distant past, it bore five seas, the largest and mightiest of them being Throxeus. Today these oceans are all but dried out, and the planet now has very little water. The planet's inhabitants all speak Barsoomian.  ...
https://barsoom.fandom.com/wiki/Barsoom

Airships are the flying ships of Barsoom, used for transport and warfare by the natives. They are commonly referred to as fliers, but occasionally are also referred to as planes.  ...
https://barsoom.fandom.com/wiki/Airships

• Like 1

I'd do like Elon Musk and take his ship names from Iain Banks' novels where can be found Just Read the Instructions, A Short Fall of Gravitas, and Of Course I Still Love You.  These galaxy-spanning ships are hundreds to thousands of kilometers in size, homes to millions of people, and crewed by super-human AIs each with a sense of humor.

• Like 1

How about the USS Lexx? If you scuba dive, sing the Brunnen-G battle song underwater. It really sounds neat.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

How about the USS Lexx? If you scuba dive, sing the Brunnen-G battle song underwater. It really sounds neat.

Lexx !  Strangest scifi ever to make it to TV. 

Btw, Farscape (also pretty strange) is running non-stop on YT now.

• Like 2