Brisbane and torps ...

SunkCostFallacy

While I was ... shall we say not entirely myself due to covid ... I bought the Brisbane. This wasn't a spur of the moment purchase ... I'd known that I would be buying it for a while.

I haven't played her all that much yet, but from most perspectives she suits me. I love me some Dakka after all. cap_rambo_small.gif.ce533cb8550e1c89de40d6f8d1529b5e.gif

But I'm going to have to admit that I'm having trouble with the single-fire torpedo mode. My most recent game I thought I'd absolutely got it 100% and was going to put a bunch of torps into two ships which were very close ... but somehow I missed each and every one. How embarrassing! facepalmsmiley.gif.98764f7b40ef2ddf49b0e1717cb078d9.gif

So I figured ... let's get some pointers on youtube. But there are a LOT of videos there on "how to torp" and they can't all touch on that particular kind of launcher so I figured I'd ask you guys ... can anyone point to a video on how to 'git gud' with single fire torp launching?

Thanks

Sunk

I mostly pay Co-op, with occasional forays into Scenario Operations, random battles and special event modes.

The 13.5 km range of the Brisbane's torpedoes is useful for "stealth torping" from beyond the Brisbane's detection radius.
My Brisbane is currently detectable at 10.9 km.  I could get it lower, but I'm enjoying the double rudder-shift modules and the 5 second rudder shift.

I'll offer some illustrations I've done over the years.  Feel free to ask specific questions after viewing them.

HairpinTurnCruisertorpedolaunchdrawing_12-06-2020_.thumb.jpg.e5174a8636a378a7930adab403e856cb.jpg

JoustingPassofaDestroyercrudelyillustratedbyWolfswetpaws_08-02-2022_.thumb.jpg.978c07c401b75b7cb376a3fa9f7b2244.jpg

Torpedolaunchingarcfiringpositionillustrationofconcept_03-13-2022_.thumb.jpg.ead1a4c3934670b243055cac00af5d49.jpg

Edited to add my Brisbane build.
image_2023-08-27_202121229.thumb.png.b82a362e8a8503fd400d44be633010db.png

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I mostly pay Co-op, with occasional forays into Scenario Operations, random battles and special event modes.

The 13.5 km range of the Brisbane's torpedoes is useful for "stealth torping" from beyond the Brisbane's detection radius.
My Brisbane is currently detectable at 10.9 km.  I could get it lower, but I'm enjoying the double rudder-shift modules and the 5 second rudder shift.

I'll offer some illustrations I've done over the years.  Feel free to ask specific questions after viewing them.

[SNIP most illustrations]

Edited to add my Brisbane build.
image_2023-08-27_202121229.thumb.png.b82a362e8a8503fd400d44be633010db.png

Thanks for your response mate ... but it begs the question ... are you doing a 'standard' torp launch with your Brisbane, or are you doing the sequential single launches? I'm beginning to question if I would be better served doing a standard launch because I'm generally finding myself playing the Brisbane as a gun platform anyway.

I haven't put any modules on her yet ... I almost always play 10 or so games to try to get a feel for what I want to improve first. Given my predilection for dakka I've been debating slot 3: Aiming System Mod 1  versus  slot3: Main Battery Mod 2 and slot 6: Main Battery Mod 3.

5 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

Thanks for your response mate ... but it begs the question ... are you doing a 'standard' torp launch with your Brisbane, or are you doing the sequential single launches? I'm beginning to question if I would be better served doing a standard launch because I'm generally finding myself playing the Brisbane as a gun platform anyway.

I haven't put any modules on her yet ... I almost always play 10 or so games to try to get a feel for what I want to improve first. Given my predilection for dakka I've been debating slot 3: Aiming System Mod 1  versus  slot3: Main Battery Mod 2 and slot 6: Main Battery Mod 3.

Brisbane like Minotaur, is not a torpedo boat. It's primary weapons is its main battery.

I only use the the torps on such ships when then enemy is really close like 6km or less otherwise your chances of hitting are much lower.

You should peppering with cannon fire not worrying about torpedo lines 

29 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Brisbane like Minotaur, is not a torpedo boat. It's primary weapons is its main battery.

I only use the the torps on such ships when then enemy is really close like 6km or less otherwise your chances of hitting are much lower.

I am using it as a gun boat ... but equally I figure it won't hurt to learn how to at least hit something with my torps.

12 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

While I was ... shall we say not entirely myself due to covid ... I bought the Brisbane. This wasn't a spur of the moment purchase ... I'd known that I would be buying it for a while.

I haven't played her all that much yet, but from most perspectives she suits me. I love me some Dakka after all. cap_rambo_small.gif.ce533cb8550e1c89de40d6f8d1529b5e.gif

But I'm going to have to admit that I'm having trouble with the single-fire torpedo mode. My most recent game I thought I'd absolutely got it 100% and was going to put a bunch of torps into two ships which were very close ... but somehow I missed each and every one. How embarrassing! facepalmsmiley.gif.98764f7b40ef2ddf49b0e1717cb078d9.gif

So I figured ... let's get some pointers on youtube. But there are a LOT of videos there on "how to torp" and they can't all touch on that particular kind of launcher so I figured I'd ask you guys ... can anyone point to a video on how to 'git gud' with single fire torp launching?

Thanks

Sunk

Do you play any British ships with torpedoes? Excluding the Campbeltown, which was an early outlier (because she's a converted Wickes-class DD rebuilt to be a gigantic bomb, and is only in the game for historic reasons), they're all the same. The key is the ability to determine the size of your own spread and the exact number of torps you will fire. Firing them all off in a long string can be absolutely devastating if you get it right, but that's an all or nothing thing. Spread them out to create a pattern that will guarantee at least some hits. Then if you've got a place to skedaddle to, you can (unlike Minotaur) follow-up the floods  you get with an unrepairable fire.

If you can do it with Minotaur, you can do it with Brisbane. They're half-sisters, except Brisbane is chonkier and in some ways more powerful. 

Until then, use narrow spread.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu

10 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I've done both.

There are occasions when sending a tight pattern of torpedoes through a narrow gap between two islands makes sense. 
So, single-launch mode for tight groups.

Other times I use the "wide" spread which launches the entire rack simultaneously. 
Normally when I use that (wide spread) method, I'm somewhere between "point blank" and a few km away.

I switch between modes, as necessary, by using the "3" key on my keyboard.

Here's my current "build" for the Brisbane.
shot-23_08.27_20_20.50-0468.thumb.jpg.23208047242b06d86822c929d7efae20.jpg

I've played enough Co-op games (yesterday) to earn about 4 million credits and pay for the #5 and #6 slot hull-upgrade modules.

4 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

4 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I am using it as a gun boat ... but equally I figure it won't hurt to learn how to at least hit something with my torps.

I think we would all be well-served to remember whether or not one is playing in a Co-op or a random battle mode match.
Co-op is a "shark week on television feeding frenzy" to score the most damage and sink the most ships in the shortest amount of time.
Random battles tend to happen at longer ranges and at a more liesurely pace.  Much more liesurely.

Evaluating a ship should keep in mind which mode one is using it in.
Were I to play in randoms more often, I might swap the second rudder-shift with the concealment module.
But, one could argue that maneuvering well enough for red-team shots to miss is a viable alternative to armor.

48 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Do you play any British ships with torpedoes?

Thus far ... no. I really should work on the British cruiser line ... but not having HE strikes me as just weird.

51 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've done both.

There are occasions when sending a tight pattern of torpedoes through a narrow gap between two islands makes sense. 
So, single-launch mode for tight groups.

Other times I use the "wide" spread which launches the entire rack simultaneously. 
Normally when I use that (wide spread) method, I'm somewhere between "point blank" and a few km away.

I switch between modes, as necessary, by using the "3" key on my keyboard.

Here's my current "build" for the Brisbane.
shot-23_08.27_20_20.50-0468.thumb.jpg.23208047242b06d86822c929d7efae20.jpg

I've played enough Co-op games (yesterday) to earn about 4 million credits and pay for the #5 and #6 slot hull-upgrade modules.

I played a couple of games in the Brisbane since my last post ... I went with the 'standard' torp firing just because I was busy with hammering guns ... the results were somewhat meh, but they'll do for now.

As to paying for modules ... my silver is ludicrous so I don't have to worry about that. My debate on the modules is "more accurate fire" versus "just more fire". I may go with a similar build to yours ... if for no other reason that it's different to the sort of builds I generally run.

Either way ... thanks for the input guys

1 minute ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

but not having HE strikes me as just weird.

The HEAVY cruisers do have HE, but they lose smoke to get it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

The HEAVY cruisers do have HE, but they lose smoke to get it. 

I do have the Hawkins. I should dig that out and grind the line a bit.

Thanks for reminding me :)

• Like 1