Publishers Are Already Thinking About Charging $80 to $100 For Games

MysticalWar

That's the way it was back in the old days, when you bought computer games at brick & mortar stores. Also, you got maybe one or two patches over the life of the game, if you were lucky. These patches were usually part of "expansions" that you had to pay for as well.

• Like 2

Cool. I'm not thinking of paying, though.

• Like 1

The issue with an assumption is that everyone will agree to the preconceived end. The publishers might think about jacking up the prices for sub-par products (most AAA games are unfinished early beta stage trash). But the market will self correct. It always does.

So the AAA studios will go bankrupt trying to peddle overpriced games. What will remain are smaller focused studios known for high quality and reasonable pricing (Larian, Shiro, Massive Monster, for example).

Here's some food for thought:

Cyberpunk 2077 was released in an unfinished buggy state. The only reason CDPR was able to turn it around was the banked goodwill of the players (due to Witcher 3), lack of MTX, and a solid core gameplay. At the end of the day the fix was rolled out for free for everyone. No one had to pay extra to get the game into a state that was working.

But I'm certain the failed release cost CDPR, as they had to scrap planned expansions. They won't make that mistake again.

Now imagine what would happen if they had a predatory MTX shop from day 1.

PS: We are heading towards an economic crisis bigger than what we had in the last 20 years. Most people are already cutting their entertainment budgets.

Edited by Aragathor
  • Like 4

The free-to-play, pay for convince model seems to be working well for many companies. Just think, in WOWS if the game cost $60 then that's all that they would ever get from it unless they offered an expansion and people then bought that. However, if they say "Hey, you can avoid the grind if you buy a month of Premium time for $10" then quite a few people will do so. And, of course, there are always those people who will purchase ships too. To tell the truth, if someone hadn't gifted me the Massachusetts a few years ago I'd probably have bought it as it's by far my most-played and favorite ship.

That said, it sometimes baffles me how Wargaming can even sell Premium time or doubloons. I'm usually rocking at least three months of Premium time a year and probably get 5000 doubloons a year just for playing the game. However, I'm retired and play the game a lot. I can see how someone who can only play for half a day on the weekend but enjoys the game and has a good job with disposable income would want to pay something to quicken the pace of their tech tree advancement.

This game is a great hobby for me. I do enjoy playing the game but that's not really even the largest part of the enjoyment I get out of it. The forums are really where it's at for me. I mostly play so that I can collect funny chat for my Chat Funnies thread, although it's also fun to brag a bit on those rare occasions that I actually do well. I still enjoy the game enough to watch Jingles' and a few other videos too. I used to write a bit of fan fiction and funny (well, at least to some) song parodies about the game. I've thought about writing more but considering that I wrote about 200 of the things I have run out of golden oldies to parody. Those song parodies all lost to posterity now. I suppose I could re-write them if the muse ever visits again.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, MysticalWar said:

I say stick with World of Warships , it's cheaper.
Publishers Are Already Thinking About Charging $80 to $100 For Games

If one is inclined, a transcript is available on the youtube page for this video (click on the more information and scroll down to the transcript button).
For those who are speed-readers and want to trim-down the amount of time spent wading through the fluff of the monologue, eh?

So this video was prompted by another youtuber reporting a survey that asked players how they'd feel about paying $xxx for a game.

A survey tests the market and is an early stage of decision planning which might get shot-down by customer feedback. 
Or, the player-base may be "whales"?
I don't know.

I do reckon that I'm not the only person to have spent hundreds of dollars over the years on WOWs in-house content and anime' & Hololive collaborations.

While this situation may be the tip of an iceberg and I'm glad to have early news of it, I also must consider that it is merely one aspect of normal industry practices.
So, I choose to "wait and see".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Those song parodies all lost to posterity now. I suppose I could re-write them if the muse ever visits again.

Much of the old forum was archived.  You might be able to find the texts of your previous work, with a bit of search-engine-fu ?

Edited to add:  And by reading this post, made by @destawaits, here on this forum.
https://www.devstrike.net/topic/40-if-our-captains-could-talk-again/?do=findComment&comment=4332

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If one is inclined, a transcript is available on the youtube page for this video (click on the more information and scroll down to the transcript button).
For those who are speed-readers and want to trim-down the amount of time spent wading through the fluff of the monologue, eh?

So this video was prompted by another youtuber reporting a survey that asked players how they'd feel about paying $xxx for a game.

A survey tests the market and is an early stage of decision planning which might get shot-down by customer feedback. 
Or, the player-base may be "whales"?
I don't know.

I do reckon that I'm not the only person to have spent hundreds of dollars over the years on WOWs in-house content and anime' & Hololive collaborations.

While this situation may be the tip of an iceberg and I'm glad to have early news of it, I also must consider that it is merely one aspect of normal industry practices.
So, I choose to "wait and see".

I have also spent a lot on Wows over the 8 years of play. But its always been worth it to keep my account fun and fresh.

• Like 1