crazy ideas

kriegerfaust

Alpha

The current meta of the game is a large number of light guns 3-6 inch with heavy rates of fire to overcome a relatively low rate of accuracy.  What about a type of ship with a smaller number of medium more accurate guns 7-9 inch.  I know the European meme battleship with all eight-inch twin secondaries that's not what i am going for.  single/double turret medium scale guns with good placement so that have a clear arc of fire perhaps high up behind the main turrets where a lot of triple six-inch secondaries are being placed.  That is where a ship has triple secondary light guns you would have double mediums and where they would have double light guns you would have single medium.  Perhaps this would break the game, but rate of fire and penetration and range can always be juggled.  It would also be less of a gimmick and might staunch the flow of torpedo armed everything, what next carriers with torpedo tubes. (And i still want my Lexington carrier with 8-inch guns)

Beta

During the cold war the us army considered a tank with armor that used the fuel tank as additional.  Crazy right fuel burns we see burning ships all the time and that can happen but is not as easy as you think.  The Israelis place the tank engine in front another example of using a vital piece of equipment as protection.  Combining fuel armor with the Italian cylindrical torpedo bule could create an interesting defensive skill.  Such a system could soke up a lot of torpedo damage how it would work who know.

Gama 

Ablative foam/ceramic armor could be fun using it you could say cover turrets making them harder to disable.  Taking hits would mitigate damage and slowly be worn away and can possibly be replaced.  it would also look cool seeing like scales over parts of the ship.  not that serious with any of my ideas just some fun thoughts about adding defensive options.

Edited by kriegerfaust
  • Like 1
  • Bored 1

2 hours ago, kriegerfaust said:

Gama 

Ablative foam/ceramic armor could be fun using it you could say cover turrets making them harder to disable.  Taking hits would mitigate damage and slowly be worn away and can possibly be replaced.  it would also look cool seeing like scales over parts of the ship.  not that serious with any of my ideas just some fun thoughts about adding defensive options.

Armored Turrets on the Iowa Class Battleships

Edited to add:
Shinano turret armor test.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

Mechanical energy versus Chemical energy.  Today.  It is almost impossible to reproduce the BB's of past.  Nor, would there be a reason to do so.  The oceans today simply are dominated by Subs and Missiles.

The only way to survive an impact is not to have an impact.   That means, using Energy to counter Energy.  If the missile, round , beam or stream can't get to you, it can't hurt you.  Take the shells used above.  They were all made of "conductive materials".  What repels conductive materials.......?  What repels light or other Energies ?  What repeals intense and focused chemical energy....? 

And, considering that several energies can be combined into a single projectile, how can we combine them to ultimately defend against them>??

Water really screws up several of those energies.  High tech Ceramics ate right there too....  Magnetic field can mess with conductive materials...  And, I suppose, plasma spheres would deter others.... 

AS the saying goes:  "what can be seen can be hit.  And, what can be hit can be killed....."  So..........if you can't target the target.... 

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

What Wolfie?  Why the confused icon>?  Looking for serious answers or....?   Lorica Sermentata.

image.png.5bc167600156d5176460e92d48725889.png

The way of the future is found in the past.........as usual.  Banded Armor.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Asym said:

Mechanical energy versus Chemical energy.  Today.  It is almost impossible to reproduce the BB's of past.  Nor, would there be a reason to do so.  The oceans today simply are dominated by Subs and Missiles.

The only way to survive an impact is not to have an impact.   That means, using Energy to counter Energy.  If the missile, round , beam or stream can't get to you, it can't hurt you.  Take the shells used above.  They were all made of "conductive materials".  What repels conductive materials.......?  What repels light or other Energies ?  What repeals intense and focused chemical energy....? 

And, considering that several energies can be combined into a single projectile, how can we combine them to ultimately defend against them>??

Water really screws up several of those energies.  High tech Ceramics ate right there too....  Magnetic field can mess with conductive materials...  And, I suppose, plasma spheres would deter others.... 

AS the saying goes:  "what can be seen can be hit.  And, what can be hit can be killed....."  So..........if you can't target the target.... 

spacer.png  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Asym said:

What Wolfie?  Why the confused icon>?  Looking for serious answers or....?   Lorica Sermentata.

image.png.5bc167600156d5176460e92d48725889.png

The way of the future is found in the past.........as usual.  Banded Armor.

I honestly thought you were trying to hint at a shield conprised entirely of magnetic force which would be capable of stopping a battleship projectile or a super-fast kinetic missile.
The power requirements would be enormous and I'm not sure we have the materials technology which can fabricate components able to endure that amount of power.
 🙂 

• Like 1

Ok i got spanked adding more armor would either simply weigh the ship down or flip it over and any ship would already have as much armor as possible, its not like a tank that can add on or peel of armor as design demands, but i will continue with crazy ideas until i hit on another and mark my words SAP bombs are coming.....coming

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Asym said:

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I honestly thought you were trying to hint at a shield conprised entirely of magnetic force which would be capable of stopping a battleship projectile or a super-fast kinetic missile.
The power requirements would be enormous and I'm not sure we have the materials technology which can fabricate components able to endure that amount of power.
 🙂 

wonder when can we get non newtonian fluid armor😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kriegerfaust said:

Ok i got spanked adding more armor would either simply weigh the ship down or flip it over and any ship would already have as much armor as possible, its not like a tank that can add on or peel of armor as design demands, but i will continue with crazy ideas until i hit on another and mark my words SAP bombs are coming.....coming

Well, as far as crazy ideas go... I don't think anyone's ever tried spaced armor on ships. Or if they have, I've never heard of such.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well, as far as crazy ideas go... I don't think anyone's ever tried spaced armor on ships. Or if they have, I've never heard of such.

Poke a hole (near the waterline) in the outer layer of the spaced-armor scheme and water may flood into the hole.
Then one might hope that the armor scheme has a lot of compartments to contain the flooding and that they don't leak.

Torpedo protection systems come to mind. 
Also the deck-armor in conjunction with the citadel armor is often a variation of the spaced-armor concept, I feel.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

wonder when can we get non newtonian fluid armor😁

Apparently, it's been created?

Liquid Armour Is Now a Thing, And It Stops Bullets Better Than Kevlar

10 April 2015

ByFIONA MACDONALD
https://www.sciencealert.com/liquid-armour-is-now-a-thing-and-it-stops-bullets-better-than-kevlar

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Apparently, it's been created?

Won't it get diluted in water?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

🙂 

Why Lorica Segmentata?  Because, it is layered, banded armor....  Layering of materials that individually aren't sufficient; but, together "erode the energy" an incoming weapon uses to destroy you.    Coin or leaf armor does the same thing.  Layered, lacquered Bamboo and steel lined, banded plates (that resembles Segmentata) was almost impervious to pointed weapons....

So, let's play make-believe:  layers of shuttle ceramics that includes diamond dust substrates; super dense metals in alternating layers of Titanium, with a inside core of layers of Titanium screening and super dense fire proof materials and a Kevlar fragment screen.  The outside coated in what the German's did with Zimmerit that is a textured, anti-reflective and absorbed rubber like material....  All of which that are not rigid and are actually, moveable layers of armor applied to a fix frame that is designed to absorb kinetic energy....

How's that for make believe?

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

Just now, DDG44_Vet said:

I hope DARPA is working on your idea @Asym

They can't afford me....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DDG44_Vet said:

Heck, when I was younger, we suggested a replacement for the M551, especially after working with the 4-68th Armor in the 80's.... 

The Armor Center at that time was asking for input/ideas informally from the Field and a group of us took them to the LST building at Fort Know, which I posted a picture of in this Forum, so that there's isn't any disbelief; and,  of one of the MBT-70 that was stored there.  Which, was 30 years ahead of it's time....  With the changes we suggested: a 50mm auto cannon was it's main weapon (which we are seeing now !  Gee, I wonder why>?), an anti-missile/drone xm-214 in the original 20mm auto cannon module equipped with AMD sensors and autonomous targeting;  VR driving for the driver in his/her/their separate station in the turret; and, an armored double stack ATM and AA missile containers/modules where the bustle rack was...  Same type of simple Diesel engine and a modern, computer controlled hydro-pneumatic suspension system.  With a composite, layered armor vis-a'-vis solid steel (10 tons lighter...)   This was a very small, fast and low profile because the HPS could be lowered to allow the hull to sit on the ground....  Under 9 feet tall.... 

I think talking to the Tank gun exercising wall would have been easier....  See the crap we have now?  Thirty plus years later.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asym said:

Why Lorica Segmentata?  Because, it is layered, banded armor....  Layering of materials that individually aren't sufficient; but, together "erode the energy" an incoming weapon uses to destroy you.    Coin or leaf armor does the same thing.  Layered, lacquered Bamboo and steel lined, banded plates (that resembles Segmentata) was almost impervious to pointed weapons....

So, let's play make-believe:  layers of shuttle ceramics that includes diamond dust substrates; super dense metals in alternating layers of Titanium, with a inside core of layers of Titanium screening and super dense fire proof materials and a Kevlar fragment screen.  The outside coated in what the German's did with Zimmerit that is a textured, anti-reflective and absorbed rubber like material....  All of which that are not rigid and are actually, moveable layers of armor applied to a fix frame that is designed to absorb kinetic energy....

How's that for make believe?

1 hour ago, DDG44_Vet said:

1 hour ago, Asym said:

They can't afford me....

I'm not sure they can afford your armor "recipe", either.  😉 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Asym said:

Heck, when I was younger, we suggested a replacement for the M551, especially after working with the 4-68th Armor in the 80's.... 

The Armor Center at that time was asking for input/ideas informally from the Field and a group of us took them to the LST building at Fort Know, which I posted a picture of in this Forum, so that there's isn't any disbelief; and,  of one of the MBT-70 that was stored there.  Which, was 30 years ahead of it's time....  With the changes we suggested: a 50mm auto cannon was it's main weapon (which we are seeing now !  Gee, I wonder why>?), an anti-missile/drone xm-214 in the original 20mm auto cannon module equipped with AMD sensors and autonomous targeting;  VR driving for the driver in his/her/their separate station in the turret; and, an armored double stack ATM and AA missile containers/modules where the bustle rack was...  Same type of simple Diesel engine and a modern, computer controlled hydro-pneumatic suspension system.  With a composite, layered armor vis-a'-vis solid steel (10 tons lighter...)   This was a very small, fast and low profile because the HPS could be lowered to allow the hull to sit on the ground....  Under 9 feet tall.... 

I think talking to the Tank gun exercising wall would have been easier....  See the crap we have now?  Thirty plus years later.....

Drones, low cost in comparison, used to overwhelm the tanks deployed in a current European theater of conflct.

First Person View drones are eclipsing artillery usage in Xxxxxxx.
https://youtu.be/IF3xiCSeqno?si=8e4N64LghAztdBW-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Drones, low cost in comparison, used to overwhelm the tanks deployed in a current European theater of conflct.

First Person View drones are eclipsing artillery usage in Xxxxxxx.
https://youtu.be/IF3xiCSeqno?si=8e4N64LghAztdBW-

Ergo, the XM-214 with a lot of ammo storage that was for 20mm !  Like 10x as much.   And, completely automatic.   Similar to Trophy but, not the same.  The XM-214 is also controllable and can be used by any of the crew members as well.  They all have VR helmets....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Asym said:

Ergo, the XM-214 with a lot of ammo storage that was for 20mm !  Like 10x as much.   And, completely automatic.   Similar to Trophy but, not the same.  The XM-214 is also controllable and can be used by any of the crew members as well.  They all have VR helmets....

Which is wonderful, to help the crew use the tank to fight the threats that they can percieve.
Until the opposition figures out a way to blind or circumvent the high-tech perception capability, or simply out-percieve the tank and hit it with ordnance from ouside the tank's effective range?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Which is wonderful, to help the crew use the tank to fight the threats that they can percieve.
Until the opposition figures out a way to blind or circumvent the high-tech perception capability, or simply out-percieve the tank and hit it with ordnance from ouside the tank's effective range?

They already have.  HVM's and HVKEW already exist and can not be stopped as I envision my xm-214 defense system.  It's for the common place, Infantry anti-armor weapons.  Even hand dropped munitions from roofs....