meatgrindr

I'm sure there is a good reason why I have to, but I can't think of it.  I can think of a good reason not to; a potential new player looking for info about the game.  If someone were to ask me about this game, I would direct them to #1 the wiki, and #2 these forums.  Maybe it's a glitch on my end or something, just curious.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No. I needed the captain points page, radar page, and hydro page and another one and it required me to log in also.

5 hours ago, meatgrindr said:

Maybe it's a glitch on my end or something, just curious.

I’ve never heard of that happening, but I’d guess it has to be a glitch (although I don’t know how one would even cause that to happen). You need to be logged into an account to edit a lot of the pages on the wiki, but you don’t (shouldn’t) need to be logged in to view it. 

Was it specific pages you were trying to access, or everything?

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

4 hours ago, thornzero said:

No. I needed the captain points page, radar page, and hydro page and another one and it required me to log in also.

I’ll pass it onto the infrastructure group on the team, but this shouldn’t be happening. Just checked them myself and they work fine without needing to log in.  

• Thanks 1

If i google "World of warships [Ship Name]"   Google brings up wiki.wargamming.net. for the ship i want to look at.    Most of the time the first time i click on this link it send me to Wargammings page saying i need to log into my account.    If i hit the back button on the browser without logging in and then click on the link again it brings up the ships wiki page without needing to log in.  It's weird. Duno is this is part of what he is talking about.

1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

I’ve never heard of that happening, but I’d guess it has to be a glitch (although I don’t know how one would even cause that to happen). You need to be logged into an account to edit a lot of the pages on the wiki, but you don’t (shouldn’t) need to be logged in to view it. 

Was it specific pages you were trying to access, or everything?

I can go to the main page fine, but clicking on anything brings up the login screen.  

Thank you for responding and notifying those involved.  It's just an annoyance really, but should be fixed if possible.

6 hours ago, meatgrindr said:

I'm sure there is a good reason why I have to, but I can't think of it.  I can think of a good reason not to; a potential new player looking for info about the game.  If someone were to ask me about this game, I would direct them to #1 the wiki, and #2 these forums.  Maybe it's a glitch on my end or something, just curious.

6 hours ago, thornzero said:

Maybe both of you rejected the cookies? Just guessing around, no probs here....

2 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

That may be, but doesn't answer my original question of why I should have to login to the Wiki in the first place.  But it is interesting that the issue is not universal.

I have had this happen a few times, but for the most part I don't need to login. It is weird that that would need to happen at all.

15 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

That’s a good point. I know there have been a couple times in the past where not accepting cookies resulted in some things breaking temporarily for certain people. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, meatgrindr said:

That may be, but doesn't answer my original question of why I should have to login to the Wiki in the first place.  But it is interesting that the issue is not universal.

I was just looking for an explanation. In order to properly "diagnose" the situation  more information would be needed. Like what device,  what platform (OS), what browser and the usage of a VPN or not.

Well I logged out and it seems to be working, sort of. I lost my page I was on, like the commander info page - it came back in spanish and translated to english.

But otherwise no problems. I cannot remember what provoked the login to be honest, it was a while ago.

6 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

I was just looking for an explanation. In order to properly "diagnose" the situation  more information would be needed. Like what device,  what platform (OS), what browser and the usage of a VPN or not.

FWIW I've had this happen repeatedly to me over the last year or so; I'm guessing it may be after Norton has gone on one of its anti-cookie rampages (after which I have to login to most stuff anew). Using current Firefox on current up-to-date Windows (PC obviously). No VPN. Located west of Toronto, if that matters.

• Like 1

Just now, Verblonde said:

FWIW I've had this happen repeatedly to me over the last year or so; I'm guessing it may be after Norton has gone on one of its anti-cookie rampages (after which I have to login to most stuff anew). Using current Firefox on current up-to-date Windows (PC obviously). No VPN. Located west of Toronto, if that matters.

Edit: I have three WG accounts, across two servers - I suppose it might be possible that this may be confusing it?

Perhaps iDuckman can give a little insight on this topic.  Calling @iDuckman!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

....cookie.....

It seems that this is the problem. Two accounts, once even edited a Wikl  🙂  yet no problems, as far as I can recall. 

edit: PC, Win 10, Chrome.

Edited by Andrewbassg

6 hours ago, HogHammer said:

Perhaps iDuckman can give a little insight on this topic.  Calling @iDuckman!

Nope.  Midnight has the best suggestion, about cookies.  If in fact it's real.

I want to see a screen shot.  You may have to log in to change the wiki, but just to view it - no. 

Btw, where is the original complaint?

• Like 1

I've met the login screen many times when clicking on links  for all sorts of Wiki pages. Not every time, but say 1:25. I considered it the "too fast for cookies" issue. If I click on the link a second time, it works fine, and no login screen. But if the pages don't require cookies, then I guess it must be something else.

50 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Btw, where is the original complaint?

Not a complaint but rather an observation by some.  I, too, have had to log in via WG to just view a page.  It does not happen all the time, but on occasion for me.  Next time it happens, I will forward a screenshot.

• Like 1

Also how you are getting to the wiki.  Through WG page?  Do you have a saved link that you use?

FYI I've never seen or heard of this.  The site has an annoying habit of logging me out of WG, but that affects editing, not viewing.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

PC, Win 10, Chrome

Same.

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Also how you are getting to the wiki

From a bookmark.

Didn't mean to open a can of worms, but it has been going on for a few months at least, not every time but many times.  And not that it is a big deal, just annoying.  Oddly, the same thing happens to me going to the page to redeem a  code:  not sure but maybe half the time I have to log in to the page to enter the code.

The cookie thing, I'm not too sure about.  I'm not talking about saving my login info, I'm just talking about having to log in just to view the Wiki.

Also of note, it has not happened since I created this thread.  If the login screen pops up again, screenshot it?

ETA- Maybe it is happening after a WIN update?  But again, not happening to everybody.

Edited by meatgrindr
  • Like 2

Don't recall this ever happening to me. Then again, I don't use a bookmark. Usually Google, or maybe sometimes a direct link.

1 hour ago, meatgrindr said:

the same thing happens to me going to the page to redeem a  code: 

That's in the Premium shop.  You have to log in.

• Like 1

If I backpage and then try again, it takes me through without any problems. 

• Like 1