YouTube is running scared

Tpaktop2_1 NA

I have a micro channel on YouTube. But this is not about me. I just took a YT  survey and the questions they are asking are striking. YT must be losing money big time. I have seen some big names kill their channels on YT. I guess the Ad Apocalypse, ad blockers, and other policy actions are taking effect. I expect changes in the future with YT. The question is whether they will be good.

• Like 1

I used to click "Watch on YouTube," but I am really trying to refrain from doing so now.  Now, I just watch the link and expand to full screen if needed.  I'm tired of watching 2-minute commercials back to back, and I don't plan on upgrading to commercial-free either.  Some commercials have the skip feature (5 seconds), but I am seeing fewer and fewer of these options.

• Like 1

Not sure what is the determining factor if you can skip or not. Then again, some commercials are crazy funny so I don't always mind it. Some commercials last like 3 minutes so that's usually a bit much, though.

Most of the time I can skip most of them fairly easily, though.

YouTube tried to scold me into disabling my adblocker like I'm a three-year-old being threatened with "time-out". So I used my last "free video" to look up how to circumvent their adbock-blockade (turns out I just needed a better adblocker). 

Not the sign of a company headed in the right direction...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, torino2dc said:

YouTube tried to scold me into disabling my adblocker like I'm a three-year-old being threatened with "time-out". So I used my last "free video" to look up how to circumvent their adbock-blockade (turns out I just needed a better adblocker). 

They did the same thing to me.  What I did is just used a different browser and just don't sign in. I can watch all the videos I want, no commercials, no warnings. Course I can not upvote/downvote or comment but it does not bug me. Most everyone I really like to watch has already migrated to Rumble so I can interact there. There is just one guy left on Youtube I like and once he makes the jump, will be done with Youtube for good. It is a relic of a different time and an affront to anyone who cares about free speech. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, torino2dc said:

3 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

They did the same thing to me.  What I did is just used a different browser and just don't sign in. I can watch all the videos I want, no commercials, no warnings. Course I can not upvote/downvote or comment but it does not bug me. Most everyone I really like to watch has already migrated to Rumble so I can interact there. There is just one guy left on Youtube I like and once he makes the jump, will be done with Youtube for good. It is a relic of a different time and an affront to anyone who cares about free speech. 

I wrote up something on the YT ad blockers here. There was another browser called brave that does not care about the YT ad block. that works well too.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1 NA
typo
  • Thanks 1