cruisers captain skills

pepe_trueno

hopefully i am not the only one who thinks cruisers skill are in need of a rework

problems:

cruisers have a wide variety of roles and the skills don't support them all

poor survival skills, survival expert only gives 100 more health per level than DDs and unlike DDs cruisers don't have  gimmicks like high camo, no citadel, plot armor vs AP, etc..

some wonky skills like pack a punch... secondary guns skills should be paired with AA skills not torpedoes and range without accuracy is quite pointless for most cruisers

posible solutions: 

let cruisers pick which skill tree they want to use, heavy cruisers will likely benefit more from BB skills while CL will likely benefit more from DD skills. Meanwhile rework cruisers skills to be more oriented towards consumables and support role for instance:

Eye in the Sky: spotter plane: +2 charges, −15% cooldown time, planes gain a 2km asure detection of ships and submerged subs

Survivability Expert:  +450 ship HP for each ship tier. For each potential damage multiple: consumables +0.7% duration

Outnumbered: change condition to while using a consumable

Pack A Punch: +30% to AA range

Edited by pepe_trueno
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

hopefully i am not the only one who thinks cruisers skill are in need of a rework

problems:

cruisers have a wide variety of roles and the skills don't support them all

poor survival skills, survival expert only gives 100 more health per level than DDs and unlike DDs cruisers don't have  gimmicks like high camo, no citadel, plot armor vs AP, etc..

some wonky skills like pack a punch... secondary guns skills should be paired with AA skills not torpedoes and range without accuracy is quite pointless for most cruisers

posible solutions: 

let cruisers pick which skill tree they want to use, heavy cruisers will likely benefit more from BB skills while CL will likely benefit more from DD skills. Meanwhile rework cruisers skills to be more oriented towards consumables and support role for instance:

Eye in the Sky: spotter plane: +2 charges, −15% cooldown time, planes gain a 2km asure detection of ships and submerged subs

Survivability Expert:  +450 ship HP for each ship tier. For each potential damage multiple: consumables +0.7% duration

Outnumbered: change condition to while using a consumable

Pack A Punch: +30% to AA range

Being honest I find cruiser captain skills quite good. You have survivability options with more heals and base hp which is great. Removing FPE from the larger cruisers made them more balanced I find and I think that's great. While I do think there should be some secondary accuracy buffs for cruisers it'll make Napoli and Schroder even better for small scale game-modes.  

Also regarding rework cruisers being oriented towards a supportive role, well yes that's how it's supposed to be. Cruisers are there to both support DDs and BBs, this is basic game sense. You can't have cruisers extremely tanky cruisers like Petro or Napoli gaining even more fire resistance and secondary accuracy. Having those skills on them would be amazingly broken. Imagine the damage output of some high DPM ships if they build it properly.

The way WG has made the cruiser skills at the moment, I'll admit it's not perfect however it suits how cruisers should be played in this game. It is mostly balanced and allows for different builds depending on the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The only real complaints I have regarding the current cruiser skills is that PM no longer exists to provide more protection for fragile torpedo tubes and turrets and that CBs lost access to FP.

PM just needs to be added back into the cruiser tree (possibly in place of Swift Fish and roll that skill’s effects into one or more of the other niche torpedo skills), while I’d like to see Graf Spee’s 45s fire duration (halfway between that of BBs and cruisers) implemented for CBs that currently are saddled with 60s burn times.

Edited by Nevermore135

Overall I think the Cruiser skill tree is OK-ish. My biggest gripe concers the dubious utility of skills like Outnumbered and Top Grade Gunner given their price, also specialized builds not being all too attractive when compared to the base generalist/survival build. There's nothing particularly exciting at T4 outside CE and AA Defense for very specific AA builds (which are not all that common/desirable). 

On 1/12/2024 at 6:56 AM, BOBTHEBALL said:

Being honest I find cruiser captain skills quite good. You have survivability options with more heals and base hp which is great. Removing FPE from the larger cruisers made them more balanced I find and I think that's great. While I do think there should be some secondary accuracy buffs for cruisers it'll make Napoli and Schroder even better for small scale game-modes.  

Also regarding rework cruisers being oriented towards a supportive role, well yes that's how it's supposed to be. Cruisers are there to both support DDs and BBs, this is basic game sense. You can't have cruisers extremely tanky cruisers like Petro or Napoli gaining even more fire resistance and secondary accuracy. Having those skills on them would be amazingly broken. Imagine the damage output of some high DPM ships if they build it properly.

The way WG has made the cruiser skills at the moment, I'll admit it's not perfect however it suits how cruisers should be played in this game. It is mostly balanced and allows for different builds depending on the ship. 

unlike BBs and DDs cruisers play way to diferrent when compare to each other to be covered by 1 skill tree which is why i think is a good idea to add more available skill trees to them.

a cruiser picking BB skill tree will be more tanky and have acces to secondary skills 

a cruiser picking DD skill tree will have acces to better skills for main guns

and a cruiser picking cruiser skills will have better consumables and means to support allies like better ways to detect enemy ships or longer AA range.

worst case scenario nerf the 3-4 cruisers that become overpowered.

either that or double the amount of available skills to cover a wider range of potential builds.