Is it snowing where you live?

Snargfargle

Been shoveling the drive for two hours this morning and finally got where I could get the truck out on the road. The way it drifted, some patches of snow are only a few inches deep, then all of a sudden you hit a six-foot drift. My little electric snowblower took one look and said "Yeah, right, you can take me back inside now." Good thing I've got a 4WD Tacoma or I'd be not going anywhere else but to the end of the drive until someone with a front loader comes into town and clears off the streets. It's usually a farmer or two that does that around here as the "city" is more-or-less a collection of farmer's houses and barns. In fact, the barn to house ratio is pretty high, as you can see here.

1704811589165-png.337669

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3

POCK YES !   It's a Terrible, no good, very horrible day(s) and all of the predictions of this season's snowfall were on the low side.   Today, several inches and 30+ MPH winds and "nothing but ice" has formed....  

So, I AM NOT even attempting anything till tomorrow...  I was supposed to go to the Range today to practice for a Tom Horn match this weekend.....  Yeah right....that ain't gonna remotely happen. 

I hate when the weather guru's are right.   On the upside, that means a lot of time for ASB's since they will be gone tomorrow and a great many of us will stop playing WoWs for several weeks till there's something fun to do on the PVE side.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not kidding about a high barn to house ratio. In many areas of town it's almost 1:1.

tfa0JG.jpg

• Like 2

What it is not doing, here on the Emerald Isle, is it isn't raining for a change. But it sure is cold.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Been shoveling the drive for two hours this morning and finally got where I could get the truck out on the road. The way it drifted, some patches of snow are only a few inches deep, then all of a sudden you hit a six-foot drift. My little electric snowblower took one look and said "Yeah, right, you can take me back inside now." Good thing I've got a 4WD Tacoma or I'd be not going anywhere else but to the end of the drive until someone with a front loader comes into town and clears off the streets. It's usually a farmer or two that does that around here as the "city" is more-or-less a collection of farmer's houses and barns. In fact, the barn to house ratio is pretty high, as you can see here.

1704811589165-png.337669

I honestly don't understand why people get electric snowblowers and electric lawnmowers. 
I know what happens to batteries when they're cold and when they age.

As for your topic question ...  Yes.  It snowed in New Hampshire this past Saturday into Sunday.  Locally, we got 8 to 9 inches of snow.
I spent portions of Sunday and Monday "digging out" our home.
I used a Toro Power Max 724 OE snowblower (purchased in February 2017) and a couple of shovels in tight spaces, such as stairs and near the cars in our driveway.

More snow is expected this (Tuesday) afternoon, eventually changing to rain overnight.

• Like 3

Hasn't snowed for a few days, been kind of cold, now somewhat reversed, but the cold front is going to come back. No hopes of spring yet, not for a few months anyway.

• Like 3

It's snowing and will be for another day.  I didn't put the snow on the sidewalk in front of my house.  Whoever did can just remove it.  I'll wait.  Meanwhile, supplies are good and I'm sinking ships. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I honestly don't understand why people get electric snowblowers and electric lawnmowers. 
I know what happens to batteries when they're cold and when they age.

I used a Toro Power Max 724 OE snowblower (purchased in February 2017) and a couple of shovels in tight spaces, such as stairs and near the cars in our driveway.

Those Toro's look like nice snowblowers. I could have used one today. However, we usually don't get this much snow. Most oftentimes it's only four to six inches and my electric blower works great then. My snowblower is corded and my 100-ft cord reaches everything I need to snow-blow. It also only cost a hundred bucks. I bought it in 2012. I had to install a couple of bolts this morning to keep the diverter from flopping around because they'd fallen out sometime last year but for the most part it's been hassle free.

I took a long road trip up through New England one fall and early winter. New Hampshire really impressed me. After it snowed, just about every little town I passed through looked like a Christmas card.

61ukonja1dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Those Toro's look like nice snowblowers. I could have used one today. However, we usually don't get this much snow. Most oftentimes it's only four to six inches and my electric blower works great then. My snowblower is corded and my 100-ft cord reaches everything I need to snow-blow. It also only cost a hundred bucks. I bought it in 2012. I had to install a couple of bolts this morning to keep the diverter from flopping around because they'd fallen out sometime last year but for the most part it's been hassle free.

I took a long road trip up through New England one fall and early winter. New Hampshire really impressed me. After it snowed, just about every little town I passed through looked like a Christmas card.

61ukonja1dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks.  🙂 (For the compliments.)

Yeah, your snowblower merely encountered an unusual situation it wasn't really designed for. 
But, the $100 price-tag offers a good performance/investment ratio for you.
Plus, the snow in the midwest tends to be more dry and have smaller flakes.  This lowers the horsepower requirements, unless the drifts are tall/high/thick/deep.

My snowblower has suited my needs very well.  It was about $750 dollars, new.  I've yet to be disappointed with it.
Only the heaviest/wettest/slushiest snow gives it a challenge.  My only quibble would be a desire for the 1st. gear to have a slightly slower speed.
But, I can simply move forward, then pause as the augers & impellers chew on the "bite" of snow, and then move forward again.  Starting & stopping as the snowblower takes "bite sized" chunks of snow and processes them is one method in my repertoire.  The augers & impeller and chute handle mixed chunks of ice pretty well (near the end of the driveway where plows have pushed the snow, for example), too.  The 24-inch width is convenient (for me) because I can fit it through the doorway to our basement for warmer conditions while performing normal maintenance.  The "quick-stick" chute control is very convenient and user-friendly.

I grew-up using my Dad's Ariens 26" model with an 8 H.P. Tecumseh engine.  A capable machine, certainly. 
My Mom still has it and it is going strong, having received periodic maintenance over the years.  (My Dad passed away a few years ago.)
But, I wanted something smaller for my own home. 
I did my research ahead of time and was glad my Dad could help me transport it to my home in his pick-up truck on the day of my purchase.
I'm glad we could do that together.  Made a nice Father/Son memory.

• Like 4

Low snow amounts so far this season. It's snowed 3 times since early december with less than 1" each time that melted within 2 days.

Yesterday's dump was more substantial but still less than 3". Temps dropping below -10C (day) and as low as -24C at night in next week.

Location: Kelowna BC 1200-1500 ft on side of hills and yes, that's a golf course to the left.

image.thumb.png.74c2d480c7645032ff375982700af158.png

• Like 4

I'm waiting for wind and rain and all the snow to melt at once...  we're under flood/wind warnings for all the sudden snow melt in New England from tonight's warmish storm coming at us at once...  We only had about 2" of snow Saturday/Sunday, but the weather-guys (and Eversource) say y'all Northerners are sending the liquid form of your stuff to us!

My one solace as a native born southerner (Virginia) is that I live on the southern coast of New England...   *sigh*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's a blizzard here in Ottawa Canada right now lots of snow shifting different directions all at once. temperature -6 Celsius

• Like 1

Being in the Washington DC area it has been raining.

A period of moderate to heavy rain will continue through this evening. Rainfall totals of 1.5 to 3 inches are expected with localized amounts around 4 to 5 inches possible. The highest rainfall totals are most likely along the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I can't see across the street at times because of the rain. Thank goodness its not cold enough here for snow. In winter we usually get ice instead of snow. I'd remember dealing with a service contractor in South Dakota where he had to deal with 6 to 12 feet snow drifts to take service calls. And he had the truck that can drive in that mess. Amazing tech.

• Like 2

Yup, guess the weather guys got it right for once.

Got about a half a foot, give or take, had to get the skidloader out to plow the driveway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaelic_knight said:

IMG_0638.png

Packing list for a trip to Orlando. 😄

Was around -35 F windchill where I live a bit ago. 

Right now it’s around -20. On a whim I looked at the temp at Amundsen-Scott base in Antarctica, they’re at about -10, windchill -25. So there’s that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mordt said:

Was around -35 F windchill where I live a bit ago.

Right now it’s around -20. On a whim I looked at the temp at Amundsen-Scott base in Antarctica, they’re at about -10, windchill -25. So there’s that. 

Right now it's 0 °F and feels like -18 °F.  Let me check the records for this area...

Our record high was 116 °F (47 °C) but that was in 1911. However it got close to that one day in the early 80s when I'd just gotten out of the Army because I remember I had a job cutting down dead trees at a farmer's house place when it was 113 °F. That day I filled up my gallon water jug three times. It's not unusual to see weeks at a time with days over a hundred degrees in the summers here. However, we are at 3,325 feet and dry so it cools down about 25 degrees at night.

The lowest record for this area is -22 °F (-30 °C) this time of year back in early 1980s too. I remember it because I was home from college over Christmas break. Dad had jury duty that day and I couldn't see why they would even hold it when it was that cold. I can't recall what the wind chill was but the wind was really gusting and it had to be 40 below. I put a couple of sleeping bags in his truck just in case he broke down on the side of the road and then headed, myself, on the 400-mile trip back to college.

4 hours ago, Kalishnikat said:

Ice storm today, everything shut down coated in ice. 

The bad weather has passed us by. It's 56 F outside. In the middle of the summer I'd think that rather cool but compared to what we've had recently it's a veritable heat wave. I'm still having to haul my trash bin to the end of my north lot for the trash truck to pick up though as I've still got two feet of snow at the roadside in front of the house. Tomorrow is trash day so I suppose I need to go out and do that now before I forget.