Weekend Spree, 5-7 January 2024

Ensign Cthulhu

Friday night, I put the finishing touches on the 300,000 ship XP I needed for this week's Michelangelo Dockyard missions, having both streamed and ground hard on Wednesday and Thursday. As a result, I was completely shagged out and did very little WOWS on the weekend, save for streaming (and even that was foreshortened).

I also had a couple of riveting books on World War 1 that I wanted to finish: "The Men Who Planned The War: A Study of the Staff of the British Army on the Western Front, 1914-1918" by Paul Harris and "Command and Morale on the Western Front: The British Army 1914-1918" by Gary Sheffield.  However, a sudden tiredness overcame me early Saturday evening, and IRL stuff ensued to deny me finishing the latter on Sunday. Both authors have at least a Doctorate in History - Sheffield has a Professorship - so both books are meticulously researched. That being said, Harris's work is very dry (reading between the lines, I think it was his doctoral thesis), but Sheffield's book (as with one of his other works I've read) seems to have been written (and marketed) with a more general audience in mind, although it's also well-referenced

Wednesday the really major grind begins - 2 x 255,000 commander XP. It's going to be a pain in the aft to get that done before the following directive opens, but on the other hand, completing it will get Halsey most of the way to 21 points so it's not without its compensations.

• Like 3

I'm at level 37 on the Santa Holiday thingy....  Play ASB's all three days.  Had clan mates most night and that is about it....  There really isn't anything left to do so......a lot of book reading and Fallout games.

• Like 1

My geographic location experienced a snowstorm, today.  I spent the better part of the past few hours using a snowblower and a shovel to clear the driveway, the house entrance steps and some paths around the house for access to the home entrances, the heating fuel storage tank.and the storage-shed.

I viewed Twitch streams of @Lord_Zath and @Ensign Cthulhu and Laorie (who speaks French) this past week.
Had the good fortune to sail with Ensign_Cthulu and @SolitudeFreak in a division.
Sailed in @Volron's division earlier this week, too. 
Good times.  🙂 

My Wife has been binge-watching the television series "Grimm", and I've been following along out of the corner of my eye while playing World of Warships or Star Trek Online.

I recently finished reading a book, titled "The Perfect Blood", by Kim Harrison, and returned it to my local library.
I've requested the next two books in the series.
https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/kim-harrison/

I've posted in various topics on the forum.

I've welcomed a few more ships to my Port, including the Brest (by finishing the Cherbourg grind). 
See the Warship Collectors Club topic, if you are curious about the others.

Reached Stage 25 on the Holidays with Santa "battle pass".

Time for me to have some dinner.  🙂 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

including the Brest (by finishing the Cherbourg grind). 

You got it done? Congratulations!

Let me know if you agree with me that the main guns are leaps and bounds ahead of Cherbourg's.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Wednesday the really major grind begins - 2 x 255,000 commander XP. It's going to be a pain in the aft to get that done before the following directive opens, but on the other hand, completing it will get Halsey most of the way to 21 points so it's not without its compensations.

The BBs are easy but the other category is difficult, just like the two during this phase, the BBs were alright, the cruisers...not so much until I found that Salem works excellent in Asymmetric, wasted green ship XP (have nearly 4.000 so not a big deal) on Salem just  to get a reasonable XP figure but then it was a breeze.

As Asym is gone next phase I really do not know yet how to tackle it.

10 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

You got it done? Congratulations!

Let me know if you agree with me that the main guns are leaps and bounds ahead of Cherbourg's.

So far, they haven't felt that way.  Also, I'm still researching the improved main-gun range.
With less than 10 battles, I feel it's still too early for me to give a proper evaluation.

6 hours ago, Gnirf said:

As Asym is gone next phase I really do not know yet how to tackle it.

Randoms or Ranked.

I now have a Benson. It came with 700 steel for the holiday season.  I've always hated this DD as a BB player and now I get to use it against my enemies. 

• Like 1

Picked up the Yumihari & free xp'd to the Adatara.  But today, Monday, I picked up a Smaland in a Mega Gift...Double Bonus Points for me!

smaland 1-8-24.JPG

• Like 4

Well now, that is a nice treat! Congratulations!