Stalingrad my beloved

BOBTHEBALL

image.thumb.png.592f14bfe6363236ef99a4832bef407e.png

Finally after around 5 years I got my second steel ship, Stalingrad. She's a complete joy to play. I even got the wedding camouflage for her before it was removed. 1000% recommend her as a first or second steel ship after Bourgogne.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beleaf said:

Stalingrad was my first steel ship. Took her out today in Asymm and top scored with a decent 7 kill/301k damage.

Yeah I had an ok 280k game yesterday. Just getting used to the amazing guns and platform. I do really like the hull even though it can be punished hard. Gun angles are just right and has the speed to match with the tankiness for my playstyle.

35 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

image.thumb.png.592f14bfe6363236ef99a4832bef407e.png

Finally after around 5 years I got my second steel ship, Stalingrad. She's a complete joy to play. I even got the wedding camouflage for her before it was removed. 1000% recommend her as a first or second steel ship after Bourgogne.

Congrats, she's really fun when things work out. Also one of the nicer looking ships aesthetically.

34 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Oh yes. That cruiser is phenomenal, not just in her AP, but also in the fun it has given me. She's my 2nd steel ship (after Bourgogne), and I even purchased for her the Victorious and War Paint Camouflage this year.

Just now, MnemonScarlet said:

Congrats, she's really fun when things work out. Also one of the nicer looking ships aesthetically.

Being honest I find tier 10 soviet ships to be the sexiest in-game. My opinion at least, something about them makes me go absolutely wild. 🤤

Just now, Frostbow said:

Oh yes. That cruiser is phenomenal, not just in her AP, but also in the fun it has given me. She's my 2nd steel ship (after Bourgogne), and I even purchased for her the Victorious and War Paint Camouflage this year.

I'm loving her AP so much, in assym I've had plenty of dev strikes against many BBs. Living up to the hype from years ago. I'm happy she's still great and is what I am looking for in a cruiser!

3 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Being honest I find tier 10 soviet ships to be the sexiest in-game. My opinion at least, something about them makes me go absolutely wild. 🤤

Go and get a room! 🙂

3 minutes ago, majmac said:

Go and get a room! 🙂

I'll get a room for Stalingrad, Petro, Nevsky, Moskva and I. Do not disturb we'll be busy the entire night. 🤣

5 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Stalingrad, Moskva, Petropavlovsk, and Alexander Nevsky have lines that are so beautiful and, yes, sexy. (Next would be Yoshino and Azuma; followed by Alaska.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frostbow said:

Stalingrad, Moskva, Petropavlovsk, and Alexander Nevsky have lines that are so beautiful and, yes, sexy. (Next would be Yoshino and Azuma; followed by Alaska.)

Yeah they're so sexy, I'm wondering what I'd consider would be next. I can't really think of anything that instantly comes to mind. I'll sleep on it.

Gratz. She's the latest I got and the one I regret the most. I've found it to be absolutely miserable. Funny how a ship can be amazing for one and worthless for another.

I've had that ship since it came out and can't seem to make it work for me, so it is a port queen except for snow flake events.

Whenever I play it the reds seem to focus me to kill me as quick as possible.

I just either get burned to the water line or get blapped by someone on a distant flank. Heaven forbid turning to reposition. The sides are made of yogurt.

What's your secret to a successful round in this ship? Other than bow tanking. Any advice is welcome.

Edited by BCGrog

1 hour ago, BCGrog said:

I've had that ship since it came out and can't seem to make it work for me, so it is a port queen except for snow flake events.

Whenever I play it the reds seem to focus me to kill me as quick as possible.

I just either get burned to the water line or get blapped by someone on a distant flank. Heaven forbid turning to reposition. The sides are made of yogurt.

What's your secret to a successful round in this ship? Other than bow tanking. Any advice is welcome.

Don't bow tank against lots of enemies or even a single HE spammer(Never tank against an HE spammer). You want to be getting crossfires, slapping broadsides and finding opportunities to really clap people. Once people start firing at you go dark and then reposition. You're extremely fast for the guns you carry. Also your HE is amazing, really really good so if there's a bow tanking or angled BB go ahead and switch to HE you'll easily burn him down. You want to be playing at the longer ranges, kiting them and moving around constantly. While the HE is great AP is your main ammo 100%, you clap basically all broadside cruisers and even more BBs up to around 14-15km. 

At the moment my build has range mod because it allows me to cosplay as a BB better, gaining more crossfire opportunities because of the longer range while also boosting the accuracy a tiny amount because of the range mod. What build were you running on yours because this is what I'm running on mine for the current moment.
 image.png.a3266f7f17e786d8a2a146f6fa87b7e0.png

Hope this kind of helps!

-Boob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Gratz. She's the latest I got and the one I regret the most. I've found it to be absolutely miserable. Funny how a ship can be amazing for one and worthless for another.

She can be quite tough to play 100%. Requires actually knowing where you can position properly.

7 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Stalingrad's hull is pretty mediocre.  Stalingrad's guns are phenomenal.  Position to maximize the guns and minimize risk to the hull.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Don't bow tank against lots of enemies or even a single HE spammer(Never tank against an HE spammer). You want to be getting crossfires, slapping broadsides and finding opportunities to really clap people. Once people start firing at you go dark and then reposition. You're extremely fast for the guns you carry. Also your HE is amazing, really really good so if there's a bow tanking or angled BB go ahead and switch to HE you'll easily burn him down. You want to be playing at the longer ranges, kiting them and moving around constantly. While the HE is great AP is your main ammo 100%, you clap basically all broadside cruisers and even more BBs up to around 14-15km. 

At the moment my build has range mod because it allows me to cosplay as a BB better, gaining more crossfire opportunities because of the longer range while also boosting the accuracy a tiny amount because of the range mod. What build were you running on yours because this is what I'm running on mine for the current moment.

Hope this kind of helps!

-Boob

3 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Hope this kind of helps!

-Boob

Thank you Bob. I'll revisit the ship and keep top of mind your suggestions.

I will also try your build. Thank you for sharing that.

Happy New Year!

4 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Stalin is sadly obsolete since subs.

Nope you’re incorrect there

5 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Stalingrad's hull is pretty mediocre.  Stalingrad's guns are phenomenal.  Position to maximize the guns and minimize risk to the hull.

The hull has its moments sure. However I do love how fast she is combined with the 50mm plating.

6 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding something...

If Stalin's hull is mediocre, most cruisers' hulls are just plain bad.

13 hours ago, Verytis said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding something...

If Stalin's hull is mediocre, most cruisers' hulls are just plain bad.

They are. 

The problem I have with Stali is that it's permanently spotted unless you operate from low impact sniper distances. The hull offering guaranteed belt citadels makes this worse.

3 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

They are. 

The problem I have with Stali is that it's permanently spotted unless you operate from low impact sniper distances. The hull offering guaranteed belt citadels makes this worse.

The hull isn't that bad, you just need some good positioning skills.

Stalin always seemed like a gudboat. Unfortunately, I'm not enough of a cruiser guy to make her a target for me.

FDR is my target, since it's the only steel CV so far...

On 12/31/2023 at 1:25 AM, BOBTHEBALL said:

Especially anything with the big Soviet cruiser hull. A few ships have the Stalingrad look with the hull, like A.Nevsky, etc. That design looks like a really sleek BB/BC.

• Like 1