Reason to grind Colbert if you have Smolensk and Jinan?

OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

I was thinking what should be my next RB ship and since I have Illinois, Ohio and Vampire II already I was thinking Colbert since I do enjoy both French DDs and cruiser lines.

But then I thought about it some more and even tho Colbert does provide a certain unique gamestyle and gimmick im not that sure that I would just do way better and have more fun in recently buffed Jinan or even OG Monster boat Smolensk. Colbert has to sit behind islands or risk it in open water HE spam but with all laser accurate BBs these days that seems tough. While Jinan and Smol has smokes and great torps etc.

Since it takes a while to grind the RB points I dont really wanna waste it on something I will play once or twice and then just collect dust in port. Maybe rather wait and see if there is some new editions to choose from.

nope. got marceau? case closed. may worth the ship, imo not worth the rb pts. not in light of the alternatives and in comparison to what u can get for other ressources or in silver (-> marceau, jinan). if it were for coal, well....

Edited by MrWastee
  • Like 1

Colbert is sort-of next on my list for want of anything much better to spend the RB on, although I have also considered Gibraltar and will make the final decision when I get the points. I already have Ohio, Vampire 2, Paolo Emilio, Druid, Hector, Illinois; while Siegfried, Speijk, Slava and Sevastopol don't interest me.

But yeah, I get you. Since I already have Smol and I'm not that far away from getting the Jinan if I really wanted it, one wonders what Colbert offers except a French version of the same if it so happens that you have 21 point French commanders and not Russian or Pan-Asian (but I have at least one in each navy). Maybe Gibraltar is the better choice for me after all - and after that, it will be time to start buying Unique Upgrades. 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu

25 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I was thinking what should be my next RB ship and since I have Illinois, Ohio and Vampire II already I was thinking Colbert since I do enjoy both French DDs and cruiser lines.

But then I thought about it some more and even tho Colbert does provide a certain unique gamestyle and gimmick im not that sure that I would just do way better and have more fun in recently buffed Jinan or even OG Monster boat Smolensk. Colbert has to sit behind islands or risk it in open water HE spam but with all laser accurate BBs these days that seems tough. While Jinan and Smol has smokes and great torps etc.

Since it takes a while to grind the RB points I dont really wanna waste it on something I will play once or twice and then just collect dust in port. Maybe rather wait and see if there is some new editions to choose from.

Nope no real reason, Colbert has some unique flavors included but honestly not enough to warrant the grind just because of it

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I have all three.  Smolensk is by far my most played (nearly 1,000 battles).  Added the Jinan recently and the Colbert about three months ago.  I do like the Jinan very much.  It is just a fun ship to play, period.  I do like the Colbert, but I have not had success with the ship anywhere close to the Smolensk.  My comfort level with the Smolensk is very high, whereas with the Colbert, I am still just trying to get the hang of it.  All three, in my opinion, can be fun and enjoyable ships to play.  

If you are a collector of ships, go for it.  If, you seek ships to do a particular job/requirement in battle, I probably would hold out and just see what may come out down the road.  Looking back at my decision to get Colbert, in the current time frame, I probably would hold off just to see what new ships may come out.

Colbert's DPM (both AP and HE) is truly impressive.  The call is yours, and I understand your dilemma, but as I mentioned, looking back I myself would probably just wait and see what comes out.  Bottomline, you will still be able to get Colbert in the future if nothing interests you as far as new ships.

DPM.thumb.png.3393cf6b13ead4530196fd0769061952.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

I have all three.  Smolensk is by far my most played (nearly 1,000 battles).  Added the Jinan recently and the Colbert about three months ago.  I do like the Jinan very much.  It is just a fun ship to play, period.  I do like the Colbert, but I have not had success with the ship anywhere close to the Smolensk.  My comfort level with the Smolensk is very high, whereas with the Colbert, I am still just trying to get the hang of it.  All three, in my opinion, can be fun and enjoyable ships to play.  

If you are a collector of ships, go for it.  If, you seek ships to do a particular job/requirement in battle, I probably would hold out and just see what may come out down the road.  Looking back at my decision to get Colbert, in the current time frame, I probably would hold off just to see what new ships may come out.

Colbert's DPM (both AP and HE) is truly impressive.  The call is yours, and I understand your dilemma, but as I mentioned, looking back I myself would probably just wait and see what comes out.  Bottomline, you will still be able to get Colbert in the future if nothing interests you as far as new ships.

Game client is unavailable for me at present, though a quick skim through third-party database indicates that Colbert has access to both improved acceleration (0~8 kts) and French-esque +20% engine boost that would allow very trollish speed-juking, and improved heal.

Her ballistics is so-so though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrWastee said:

nope. got marceau? case closed. may worth the ship, imo not worth the rb pts. not in light of the alternatives and in comparison to what u can get for other ressources or in silver (-> marceau, jinan). if it were for coal, well....

Thats a good point! I do have Marceau and I really enjoy that ship. And there is actually not really a reason then because its almost exactly the same range, no citadel to worry about, usable torps, dont know the difference in arcs but I do handle the Marceau pretty well, also the possibility to take a cap or two late game.

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

Nope no real reason, Colbert has some unique flavors included but honestly not enough to warrant the grind just because of it

Many Tanks for input! 

40 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

Im not a collector, but I do collect very strong or very gimmicky ships (like Tromp). I played some Smol recently and that thing is still a monster that can carry even the worst team if played right. But when snowflakes came I also played some Jinan games which I haven't done in years and must say the buffed Jinan is quite good and fun ship, especially with that DW torp soup and smoke.

Also, I feel like those DPM tables can sometimes be a bit misleading. That is dependent on how long times you can actually get that DPM down range in a match and in this case I believe its harder for Colbert than Smol and Jinan that can bot hugg islands and also just smoke up whenever.

image.thumb.jpeg.c30e5e75af4c54529727753a85fec07d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3624bd1eab0c2402d81e8c7bfd0a9fcd.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Game client is unavailable for me at present, though a quick skim through third-party database indicates that Colbert has access to both improved acceleration (0~8 kts) and French-esque +20% engine boost that would allow very trollish speed-juking, and improved heal.

Her ballistics is so-so though.

It is fast, but I feel like unless you're hiding behind an island spamming stationary BBs it would be hard to lead a moving maneuvering target while also doing constant torpedo beats to avoid new and improved BBs salvos.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

[...] dont know the difference in arcs [...]

afaik they got the very same guns in the very same turrets 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrWastee said:

afaik they got the very same guns in the very same turrets 😉

Colbert's HE and AP make more damage HE 2100 (1850 Marceau). AP 2600 (2450 Marceau), Colbert AP also has better penetration 67mm (Marceau 46mm). The shells also have less drag what results in faster flight time and better arcs. Same guns, but different stats, WG logic at it's best.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I used a lot of my coal and a fair amount of RB points I had plus a years worth of Premium which I also had. I then replaced the premium time with the 47 dollar 1/2 price one year premium sale thats a good deal. So it cost me 47 dollars for the one year premium time . Then I used roughly 275k coal and 60k RB points and I got the tier 6 Elli, tier 7 Ferruccio, and the tier X Deffence.

For me it was great I am not to good with the tier 10 ships so I was able to get two new CA that are mid tier using my RB points.  Which were sitting there for ever because everything in the RB is tier 10 or 9 I believe. And last I used my coal and premium time to get enough resouces to get them. The tier X Deffence looked to good to pass up could end up a collectors ship so I got it even though I probably wont play it for a while.

I like that I was able to use my RB points and coal for ships that we not offered before for coal and RB points it gave me different options. Plus I got 3 ships that wont be offered again for 2 or 3 years. Just another idea if you dont like whats being offered for RB points and coal.

Salvage for Victory you might be able to make it work for you.

Edited by clammboy
  • Like 1

I'm not sure there's a reason to grind Colbert if you just have a basic Worcester tbh. It's fun, but I always end up thinking that any pointless HE spammer could have accomplished this and more 

• Like 1

In this naval battle version (ribbons) you can see the advantage in having a Colbert. I have all the RB ships and upgrades and this is one of the ships I have played most (coop) but that mode does not change the fact it is very suited to ribbons tasks. French cruisers are less capable of that as they are of the heavy /superheavy type otherwise even if Bayard is somewhat a substitute.

• Like 1

There's no smoke on her so imo she's one of the hardest ship to master, as she needs even higher level of terrain knowledge, dodging skills & shell leading. Feels like it will be tiring to bring her out for a spin, so I only bought her and deemed as a port queen.

• Like 1

"Laser accuracy" BB is more good than bad. Those are "all" or "nothing". And with decent maneuverability and skill you can shift it towards heavily "nothing".

The things with good accuracy that you need to be wary of are the large cruisers. The others are shotguns BB that just carpet the entire area with shells.

Edited by Verytis

If you have a div mate that will drive around in front of you in a US DD, smoking and spotting for you, you will melt your enemies in Colbert.

If you're caught outside the smoke, you will pop like a balloon.

Watched some guy and his brother do this for several hours on Twitch the other night. It was impressive, but never would have happened without the mobile smoke factory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xamdam said:

If you have a div mate that will drive around in front of you in a US DD, smoking and spotting for you, you will melt your enemies in Colbert.

If you're caught outside the smoke, you will pop like a balloon.

Watched some guy and his brother do this for several hours on Twitch the other night. It was impressive, but never would have happened without the mobile smoke factory.

Well its easier that way but one CAN use islands as well although one prob needs to take the range upgrade for that and that does cut down the DPM a bit 

• Like 2

Depends on what you are looking for. 

For me I pull it out for firestarting or cruiser hit missions in coop. It is capable of overtaking destroyers so they can't just torp everything before you can get close. 

• Like 3