Why do I take IFHE on my Massachusetts?

Snargfargle

Yeah it gets you to 26MM of pen so you can pen lower tier BB plate and a lot of Cruisers. Screws over fire chance though.

5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yeah it gets you to 26MM of pen so you can pen lower tier BB plate and a lot of Cruisers. Screws over fire chance though.

True that but with the volume of secondary hits I still usually set two or three fires a match. With other ships and at other tiers firestarting might be the way to go but at tier VIII, where you can face tier VI and VII ships, IFHE secondaries are a killer.

Speaking of higher-tier secondary ships pelting lower-tier ones, the Schlieffen is a beast in Asymmetric battles.

IIRC secondaries "aim" at waterline (albeit with horrible sigma), so the ones that go where the autobot says can pop trash CL armor. Calculating the sweet spot where this overtakes secondaries with normal fire chance would be interesting. 

42 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

IIRC secondaries "aim" at waterline (albeit with horrible sigma), so the ones that go where the autobot says can pop trash CL armor. Calculating the sweet spot where this overtakes secondaries with normal fire chance would be interesting. 

With manual control aiming at the waterline, secondaries are also is really good versus subs. I've been sunk a time or two by subs, usually a Gato in a tier X match when my Massashusetts was I was low tier and low on health. However, I sink a lot more subs than they sink me.

Edited by Snargfargle

9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

at tier VIII, where you can face tier VI and VII ships, IFHE secondaries are a killer.

I dont know if it's just me or my perception of things but I dont seem to get into many tier VI or VII games in the tier VIII Massaschuttes anymore. I do you use IFHE but I'm just beginning to wonder if I should swap it out. Seems like I am uptiered quite often now days again it just might be me.

12 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

t7o3gj.jpg

Me using IFHE on Oklahoma, California (yes, meme secondaries), Wee Vee '44, Massachusetts (Ops/Asym Battles only): "...First time?"

spacer.png

I've been doing this since....forever 😄 Direct damage > fire chance most certain cases. However, some ships have some seriously sweet fire chances that you don't WANT to cut down on....

Edited by Sailor_Moon
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

You shouldn't tbh

Tbh, "it depends". It depends on certain factors, like tier, initial HE penetration, secondary efficiency for the ship, etc. Like, I would consider IFHE on USN secondaries at Tier VII or lower, because Tier VII and lower have 26mm plating, 25mm plating and 19mm plating, and 21mm pen can go up to 26mm.  So basically you pen everything. Even better if it's the 127mm/38 USN mounts because they only have like 5% fire chance anyways 😛

On the flipside, I probably wouldn't take IFHE on Georgia or Ohio, as the usage cases become quite limited. You can pen 25mm plating, 19mm superstructure......and that's basically it at Tier VIII and higher that IFHE allows you to pen. You can already pen 21mm plating and 19mm superstructure, so IFHE doesn't make much sense there.

Edited by Sailor_Moon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clammboy said:

I dont know if it's just me or my perception of things but I dont seem to get into many tier VI or VII games in the tier VIII Massaschuttes anymore. I do you use IFHE but I'm just beginning to wonder if I should swap it out. Seems like I am uptiered quite often now days again it just might be me.

I think IFHE Massachusetts is only really good in Ops or Asym Battles, where you face multiple lower-tier ships. I'm not sure how great of an investment it is for Randoms though. Definitely not for same-tier Brawls 😛

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sailor_Moon said:

Tbh, "it depends". It depends on certain factors, like tier, initial HE penetration, secondary efficiency for the ship, etc. Like, I would consider IFHE on USN secondaries at Tier VII or lower, because Tier VII and lower have 26mm plating, 25mm plating and 19mm plating, and 21mm pen can go up to 26mm.  So basically you pen everything. Even better if it's the 127mm/38 USN mounts because they only have like 5% fire chance anyways 😛

On the flipside, I probably wouldn't take IFHE on Georgia or Ohio, as the usage cases become quite limited. You can pen 25mm plating, 19mm superstructure......and that's basically it at Tier VIII and higher that IFHE allows you to pen. You can already pen 21mm plating and 19mm superstructure, so IFHE doesn't make much sense there.

Ehhhh I still don't think so lol, I'd rather have a build like this.

image.png.338b81a122fba41b7742ca40968f5ccc.png

1 hour ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Ehhhh I still don't think so lol, I'd rather have a build like this.

image.png.338b81a122fba41b7742ca40968f5ccc.png

CQC instead of MSBA on Massachusetts? 🤔 Also, I was talking about taking IFHE on ships Tier VII and lower, not Tier VIII and higher... 🙂

Tbh, I have a similar build on my Massachusetts, but not CQC...I went MSBA. Why CQC? Her secondaries are KINDA sorta accurate without MSBA, I understand that, but they're not THAT accurate without MSBA....does CQC really give you more value than MSBA?

massa_captain.thumb.PNG.dc15b6a53be0fa548ea2231cf472f7c3.PNG

I use this. For me, going dark is the best survivability tool, so concealment is a must. Also speed is life, so I take that 10% boost over turret rotation which is good enough at 36 secs for me. Mind you, this is exclusively for PvE.

I guess for asymmetric battles I would actually switch the fire and speed skills out for adrenaline rush, but in operations I prefer the speed, and asymmetrics aren't here to stay regrettably.

Edited by Kruzenstern
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sailor_Moon said:

CQC instead of MSBA on Massachusetts? 🤔 Also, I was talking about taking IFHE on ships Tier VII and lower, not Tier VIII and higher... 🙂

Tbh, I have a similar build on my Massachusetts, but not CQC...I went MSBA. Why CQC? Her secondaries are KINDA sorta accurate without MSBA, I understand that, but they're not THAT accurate without MSBA....does CQC really give you more value than MSBA?

CQC gives you an amazing reload boost when you're within secondary range. Think about the damage your secondary guns do towards a ship and then you realize boosting the main battery reload in those brawling engagements is an amazing idea.

13 hours ago, Sailor_Moon said:

I think IFHE Massachusetts is only really good in Ops or Asym Battles, where you face multiple lower-tier ships. I'm not sure how great of an investment it is for Randoms though. Definitely not for same-tier Brawls 😛

exactly. 

For randoms ...No.  It will be great when top tier and then you can super bully T6/7 BB's but that's for maybe 15-20% of games....at best.  The other 85% of the time you are just hurting your fire chance.  At same tier and up then only opponent it would help with are CL's like Cleveland or Bayard which try to stay hidden anyway, AND are an endangered species due to WG continuously releasing ships/CV/subs that make CL life miserable.  Most games now only have 2 or 3 cruisers not to mentioned CL which are even more rare.... so equipping for those rare instances is more of a net negative. But for modes where you know you will have T7 and below opponenets....

For Ops / COOP then it a definite yes.  Will eat up those lower tier ships.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sailor_Moon said:

I've only got 1 sec build USN captain so its IFHE on those ships as well! 

2 hours ago, Foxhound421a said:

I've only got 1 sec build USN captain so its IFHE on those ships as well! 

The only problem with that is that Georgia and Ohio don't really benefit much from 26mm pen at their tiers. The most you'll get to pen at those higher tiers thanks to IFHE is 25mm plating (some cruiser bows/sterns).

But if that's what you've got to work with, then it's not so bad : )

• Like 1

Wait what part of NO citadel is clad in less then 26mm?

Edit:

I also use it on Massa for ops

Edited by Yedwy

8 hours ago, Sailor_Moon said:

The only problem with that is that Georgia and Ohio don't really benefit much from 26mm pen at their tiers. The most you'll get to pen at those higher tiers thanks to IFHE is 25mm plating (some cruiser bows/sterns).

But if that's what you've got to work with, then it's not so bad : )

Yeah going to build another sec build commander for my US ships. Fortunately for my RN ships I started building a sec build commander before agincourt came out and ive got another in the works on the off chance we get another british ship with good secondaries. Though i do have a secondary build nelson, Rooke and St Vincent. P

• Like 1