Kitakami

Titus_Pullo_13

My initial inclination was to pass on Kitakami.  Heck, I didn't think I would have enough resources, anyway, but once Salvage for Victory started I played with the sliders and realized I did.  But, it was going to clean out my coal, Research Bureau points, premium time, and some of my steel.

As I progressed through the snowflakes, Holidays in Santa City battle pass, and the Michelangelo Dock Yard, I collected quite a bit more coal and some premium time.

There is nothing in the Armory for coal, steel, or Research Bureau that interests me that I haven't already gotten.

Kitakami has a history, both in real life and in the early days of this game.

So, I cleaned out my new coal balance, Research Bureau points, and 60 days of premium time (still have 252 days remaining), and added my 68th Tier 10 ship.  I haven't played it at all, yet.  I just look at it in port.  I'll run it in Co-op a few times before I undertake the Randoms challenge with it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

There is nothing in the Armory for coal, steel, or Research Bureau that interests me that I haven't already gotten.

This is something a lot of the "It is ridiculously overpriced and only idiots will get it." people don't get. There comes a time where you have piles of resources available, and you already have everything you're interested in getting.  Like you I blew most of my coal and RP to get it.  I also got Slava and Tromp, an RP and coal ship respectively, at the same time.  I am almost back to the point where I can buy another Tier IX coal ship, which I am thinking of getting tonight to save on upgrade costs.

• Like 3

After a few games,, I wouldn't call this a bad ship, it's just slow paced and you have to be in the mood for that. Interesting to note that most of my games have been low scoring but I know I've impacted most games by turning BBs away from a flank and their DD's lose support as the the BB's run and defend themselves.

Not a port princess but not the OP boat everyone feared.

kitiiii.PNG

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

This is something a lot of the "It is ridiculously overpriced and only idiots will get it." people don't get. There comes a time where you have piles of resources available, and you already have everything you're interested in getting.  Like you I blew most of my coal and RP to get it.  I also got Slava and Tromp, an RP and coal ship respectively, at the same time.  I am almost back to the point where I can buy another Tier IX coal ship, which I am thinking of getting tonight to save on upgrade costs.

Yep... Thats why i started by stating all the ships and captains I already have. I duped my resources but got 4 premium ships... I wont be able to do it again for a while!

2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

As a side not/question, why the heck do ultra light cruisers have thinner plating than DDs?  They are still bigger, heavier ships than DDs

Because WG has a strong DD bias. Even at t7 and 6, DDs get equal plating to most cruisers (16mm) to protect them from big bad CL AP. I remember when Omaha's could be overmatched by their own guns: fun times.

2 hours ago, Titus_Pullo_13 said:

After a few games,, I wouldn't call this a bad ship, it's just slow paced and you have to be in the mood for that. Interesting to note that most of my games have been low scoring but I know I've impacted most games by turning BBs away from a flank and their DD's lose support as the the BB's run and defend themselves.

Not a port princess but not the OP boat everyone feared.

kitiiii.PNG

I think thats fair. My experience is colored by the fact that Ive been playing the last 11 days with COVID, but I find that it is basically a patience game and area denial tool, with the occasional opportunity for an ambush torp dash and smoked-up skedaddle. 

5 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

hink thats fair. My experience is colored by the fact that Ive been playing the last 11 days with COVID,

Get well soon !

11 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

I think thats fair. My experience is colored by the fact that Ive been playing the last 11 days with COVID, but I find that it is basically a patience game and area denial tool, with the occasional opportunity for an ambush torp dash and smoked-up skedaddle. 

Ouch.  Get well soon.

Best regards!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice little collector piece.

As a ship it's garbage. Hooray for the Torpedo Reload nerf.

I don't miss the resources. I paid them and have plenty of everything left.

But after trying it out for just five games, (not going to waste my time with twenty, as above,) it's boring junk.

A few have said you need to wait for mid-late game to be useful?

So; like they say about CVs, and waiting for the AA to get destroyed before you really go to town; screw around half a game; hoping your team sucks less than the Reds?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Nice little collector piece.

As a ship it's garbage. Hooray for the Torpedo Reload nerf.

I don't miss the resources. I paid them and have plenty of everything left.

But after trying it out for just five games, (not going to waste my time with twenty, as above,) it's boring junk.

A few have said you need to wait for mid-late game to be useful?

So; like they say about CVs, and waiting for the AA to get destroyed before you really go to town; screw around half a game; hoping your team sucks less than the Reds?

I dont think its garbage, I think it can be somewhat broken/OP even with the torp reload nerf if you have good experience and skill in torp DDs.

I think this ship is the King of "Balanced by playerbase". I compare this ship to playing IJN torp boats like Yugumo, Asashio and Shima that also depends on torps for their efficiency in this Radar/hydros/ubmarine Meta and imho those ships are the hardest ships to do well in.

But if you have many years of experience in playing weak, low HP, low armored, fragile ships that can be killed in one salvo if spotted but also can do massive damage IF they manage to land their torps .... well .....

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

But if you have many years of experience in playing weak, low HP, low armored, fragile ships that can be killed in one salvo if spotted but also can do massive damage IF they manage to land their torps .... well .....

I’m someone who loved Mutsuki.

For all I don’t like destroyers, It seems like I do better in them than other ships. (Drew Ultimate Arf U in Asashio once, and topped the board… 🤨)

I suppose it isn’t so much Kitakami is garbage, it has potential, but boring? Take forever to be worth a damn? It is very much that.

Depending on how a game develops, playing it can also be a colossal waste of time.

7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I’m someone who loved Mutsuki.

For all I don’t like destroyers, It seems like I do better in them than other ships. (Drew Ultimate Arf U in Asashio once, and topped the board… 🤨)

I suppose it isn’t so much Kitakami is garbage, it has potential, but boring? Take forever to be worth a damn? It is very much that.

Depending on how a game develops, playing it can also be a colossal waste of time.

Asashio is one of my top Go-To ships in the game. I have a ton of games in it on my channel and 2 of my 3 Solo Warriors is in Asashio. I do get how many would consider playing ships like this boring, because its not much to do between torp salvos except for spotting and maybe capping. But at the same time its a very tactical and strategic ship/class to play because you have time (since you're not shooting and ducking all the time) to watch minimap and see how the fight evolves and to place yourself where you will have most impact.

Also fun to try and guesstimate where players will turn to predict where to launch salvos and when you get good experience doing it you will decimate the enemy team and secure many wins.

• Like 2