Name the ships

SoshiSone

Duke of York.

It has AA mounts (most notably the quad 40mm Bofors in the image) where there're supposed to be motorboats. The boats are placed on the former aviation facility space instead (though the area is obscured in the picture). The aft arrangement of AA are also different from King George V.

image.thumb.png.c71249f5811ebf706232b08eb1a4d425.png

Duke Of York - 3D model (sketchfab.com)

Edited by TimurGlazkov
Info on aft AAs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I'm also curious where these two ships are heading.

Answer to post query:  Duke of York and Tiger 59.

Where are they headed.  I was in a circle fest battle with my Tiger 59. 

How I got there...I was in smoke and DoY was headed straight at me.  So I was full steam for a surprise ram out of the smoke.  During our mutual invisibility, DoY had offset to my starboard negating the ram attempt, but my speed was greater than his turret traverse, so I went hard to starboard, DoY did as well to help with his turret rotation...so we wound up in a clockwise circle fight.  I still tried to ram, but just missed across his sturn, then I doubled back across his sturn a second time (not the best move as it uncovered his rear turret...but game was about over and we had it wrapped) and that's where the game ended.  And that is where I took the screen shot.

Also, Kudos to the DoY captain for switching to HE earlier in the engagement, realizing Tiger 59 is one of the few (only?) UK light cruisers that can bow bounce 14 inchers.  Most 14 inch BBs tend to keep to AP thinking they have overmatch (which they do on all the other UK lights). But not on the Tiger.

Edited by SoshiSone
  • Like 4

The late Deseehafer used to post wonderful "tell the difference" content on the old forums showing the differences between ships in the same class. He campaigned for correction of inaccuracies in the game models. 

Not to mention a lot of other deep-dive enthusiast content which is now gone with the abrupt shutdown of the WG WoWS Forum. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

shot-23_12.25_23_10.30-0981.thumb.jpg.d2597c195c5c2c0c00fc0ad9da5d9b02.jpg

First one is clearly Duke of York. Note the black camo on the superstructure AND the quad turret aft.

The ship in the foreground though, I have no idea. Looks big enough to be either a cruiser or even a battleship. I say....Lion? Just guessing off the top of my head. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Got one out of two, apparently the ship in the foreground is Tiger '59.....

Edited by Sailor_Moon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

The late Deseehafer used to post wonderful "tell the difference" content on the old forums showing the differences between ships in the same class. He campaigned for correction of inaccuracies in the game models. 

Not to mention a lot of other deep-dive enthusiast content which is now gone with the abrupt shutdown of the WG WoWS Forum. 

I believe archived copies of the forums are still available via the Wayback Machine archive, though without search engine it would be more troublesome to try to find some specific content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1