Why you shouldn't spend a bunch of money on Santa containers...

YouSatInGum

44 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

To put it bluntly, this is not a profitable hill for you to die on. Not having things all your way all the time is part and parcel of gaming, especially combat gaming.

Oh please. You can make the best of a bad lot and move on or you can put more effort into complaining than you do playing the game. I would advise against leaning too heavily into the latter. 

Bluntly... a lot of bs in those statements.  Thanks for the advice and you're correct, not my hill, not my profit... nor were those my sentiments.

My advice is to not attribute motivation or emotions to others.

Best regards!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcusaesopi said:

The problem is WG (or any gaming company) forcing players to use one's personal game time to play through unwanted games.

WG is guilty of many bad things, but forcing anyone to do anything is not one of them. If you feel the game 'forces' you to do something, you should consider stepping away for a bit. Or get counseling. Now I know that I occasionally have to do some grinds that are not entirely fun to get this or that. But I have my own free will to decide whether the boredom is worth it or not. I don't feel 'forced'. I don't die or lose my job if I don't get something because I find the way there unfun. Like I get zero PvP related rewards, and I am not missing them at all (Though I would like some of them). I would not be gunning for Michelangelo either if I wasn't on holiday and right now have a lot of time to spend. And of course asymmetric battles make the grind almost nonexistant, but that is subject to change regrettably.

25 Mega crates and 22 Super containers got me 3500 dubs, 14 days premium, Yukon BB, Mutsu BB, Lepzig CA and the Tashkent 39 DD.  Got the Stord for completing battlepass.  Got the Elli CA, Feferruccio CA, Defense CA and the Kitakami CA, using coal only from salvage option.  All this for buying the first 3 stages of battlepass and my time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It still amazes me that players still pour half their paycheck into this game at every Loot chance lottery there is. Its not even like its good things like it was 3-4 years ago. But sure, those few lucky ones will post their Småland (after blowing 400 dollars for it) Everywhere!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kruzenstern said:

WG is guilty of many bad things, but forcing anyone to do anything is not one of them. If you feel the game 'forces' you to do something, you should consider stepping away for a bit. Or get counseling. Now I know that I occasionally have to do some grinds that are not entirely fun to get this or that. But I have my own free will to decide whether the boredom is worth it or not. I don't feel 'forced'. I don't die or lose my job if I don't get something because I find the way there unfun. Like I get zero PvP related rewards, and I am not missing them at all (Though I would like some of them). I would not be gunning for Michelangelo either if I wasn't on holiday and right now have a lot of time to spend. And of course asymmetric battles make the grind almost nonexistant, but that is subject to change regrettably.

Again, don't attribute feelings to others.  I know it's a popular thing to do here, but it is both ignorant and arrogant.

Player agency is an industry wide topic and concern for everyone except, it appears, WG.  MOST companies are trying to make "grinding" more palatable and/or "rewarding".  WG isn't one of them.

I agree with the grind calculus as you're describing.  When the fun isn't worth the grind... the game gets shelved until the interest returns.  That is healthy imho. 

I saw a Michelangelo in game today and was amused by it.  As one who completed the OG Puerto Rico grind, I'm looking forward to Michelangelo as a pretty easy grind.  I hope we enjoy it when we get there.

For those that don't get it and need to understand the "personal" take:  I like the game and would like it to be healthy and growing.  I don't see the development direction as being one that will make that work, but I hope it does.

Fair winds and following seas!

Michelangelo.jpg

• Like 1

I realized a long time ago that one should not be motivated to buy loot boxes after seeing all these wonderful outcomes of other people's loot boxes. Tendency is that people of good fortune like to brag. While those less fortunate will not post anything. Thanks @YouSatInGum for reminding us. As always, if you are not happy with getting non-ship items in the loot boxes, don't buy them.

• Like 1

I got 20 or 21 Mega containers for all of my certificates from all sources. I only lacked two unwanted ships from the list, Halford and Crimson Whatisit, and dropped both by the 6th container. I would have given the lot for an Iwaki Alpha or Ark Beta (I was in beta but just missed the Arkansas). 

I also had enough PT and resources after snowflakes to get Kitakami and have enough of every resource left over for 1-2 future ships.

So I had no reason to buy anything this year, but bought a small tranche of Big and Mega boxes just to gift myself, and it was nice to get a good number of blue and red econ boosters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pugilistic said:

I only lacked two unwanted ships from the list, Halford and Crimson Whatisit,

🤣

Scarlet Thunder, and thanks for the laugh. 😎

3 hours ago, BigHeadShrimp said:

As always, if you are not happy with getting non-ship items in the loot boxes, don't buy them.

And as much to the point (if not more), ships you weren't specifically gunning for. 

Everyone who doesn't already have everything wants the banned-as-F botes to pop up. EVERYONE. Getting something else is a test of the recipient's character. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

🤣

Scarlet Thunder, and thanks for the laugh. 😎

And as much to the point (if not more), ships you weren't specifically gunning for. 

Everyone who doesn't already have everything wants the banned-as-F botes to pop up. EVERYONE. Getting something else is a test of the recipient's character. 

YW lol. 

And I cant agree more, my advice would be to only buy gambool boxes if you will not be disappointed by the least desirable gacha. 

Edited by Pugilistic

2 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

I only lacked two unwanted ships from the list, Halford and Crimson Whatisit, and dropped both by the 6th container.

Crimson Whatisit is the best name...  That think is too ugly to equip and shall always be a "rewards" bypass port queen.

35 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Yup!

Best regards!

12 hours ago, Arcusaesopi said:

Crimson Whatisit is the best name...  That think is too ugly to equip and shall always be a "rewards" bypass port queen.

That is what I thought when I got it. But then I remembered, you can turn off those annoying anime skins, so maybe this one too? And yes...

Click the little gear symbol on the right above your ship list, go to "Custom ships" and then in the list deactivate "Path of progress", et voila, you get a proper ship.

shot-23_12.28_09_54.41-0532.thumb.jpg.a97a3fe0abd6a7a8abe9bfe6ac83ecca.jpg

shot-23_12.28_09_54.48-0993.thumb.jpg.92fc8aec7c3624201fb0fb8513ff585d.jpg

That made me really happy, as I was kinda disappointed at first because while I would have liked to have what is more or less a premium Duncan, I could never have driven that eyesore of a ship.

Edited by Kruzenstern
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

gambool boxes

This reminds me of the cowboy re-enactors and others who cast their own bullets out of lead alloy. Among the most fanatical, a "bullet" is the thing you buy in bulk from the store; a "boolit" is one you cast yourself. 

4 hours ago, Kruzenstern said:

that eyesore of a ship.

Quite aside from being based on a Soviet-era Ekranoplan, the ship's name and appearance put me in mind of Gerry Anderson's tech (Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlet), which is something that fascinated me as a kid and still does. I'd have been very pleased to get her, warts and all. Eye of the beholder and all that...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Quite aside from being based on a Soviet-era Ekranoplan, the ship's name and appearance put me in mind of Gerry Anderson's tech (Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlet), which is something that fascinated me as a kid and still does. I'd have been very pleased to get her, warts and all. Eye of the beholder and all that...

Yes, to each his own. Thats is why I am glad that I can turn all that eye-candy or eye-sore stuff off. I am a purist, I wouldn't even like a ship that was designed to look like a warship from Battletech, which is something that fascinated me as a kid and still does. Even a completely ludicrous not-even-paper ship like C. Colombo that follows real ship art is preferable to me to some anime/scify/fantasy theme.

Edited by Kruzenstern

On 12/28/2023 at 4:01 AM, Kruzenstern said:

That is what I thought when I got it. But then I remembered, you can turn off those annoying anime skins, so maybe this one too? And yes...

Click the little gear symbol on the right above your ship list, go to "Custom ships" and then in the list deactivate "Path of progress", et voila, you get a proper ship.

shot-23_12.28_09_54.41-0532.thumb.jpg.a97a3fe0abd6a7a8abe9bfe6ac83ecca.jpg

shot-23_12.28_09_54.48-0993.thumb.jpg.92fc8aec7c3624201fb0fb8513ff585d.jpg

That made me really happy, as I was kinda disappointed at first because while I would have liked to have what is more or less a premium Duncan, I could never have driven that eyesore of a ship.

Thanks, also discovered that you can just deselect it in camo tab on the ship itself and it goes back to bare hull 🙂  Yes, since it is a T9 premium, might be worth equipping now that I knocked that ugly right off... 😄

On 12/27/2023 at 5:10 PM, HuskerBill said:

25 Mega crates and 22 Super containers got me 3500 dubs, 14 days premium, Yukon BB, Mutsu BB, Lepzig CA and the Tashkent 39 DD.  Got the Stord for completing battlepass.  Got the Elli CA, Feferruccio CA, Defense CA and the Kitakami CA, using coal only from salvage option.  All this for buying the first 3 stages of battlepass and my time.  

On 12/27/2023 at 8:48 PM, Pugilistic said:

I got 20 or 21 Mega containers for all of my certificates from all sources. I only lacked two unwanted ships from the list, Halford and Crimson Whatisit, and dropped both by the 6th container. I would have given the lot for an Iwaki Alpha or Ark Beta (I was in beta but just missed the Arkansas). 

I also had enough PT and resources after snowflakes to get Kitakami and have enough of every resource left over for 1-2 future ships.

So I had no reason to buy anything this year, but bought a small tranche of Big and Mega boxes just to gift myself, and it was nice to get a good number of blue and red econ boosters. 

Results not typical...

Your mileage may vary.

Lots of good advice here in the thread though.

Don't buy gamble boxes unless you would be happy with the 'least desirable to you' result.

Then, everything is happiness.

• Like 2