Toxic playerbase

After playing only low tiers for a long time, I got used to the nice helpful low tier community. My karma climbed and folks were nice. Recently have started playing Tier 7 again. Have been called the N word, Fa**ot, and told to do all sorts of nasty sexual things, my karma has gone down..all for just playing the game normally. These higher tiers seem infested with juvenile losers. I'm not one to run and tell but finally sent in a ticket on one particularly nasty offender. Going back to T3 and T4, life is fun there. 

I hardly ever see such behavior to be honest. There is plenty of the usual grumbling when you have a DD hiding behind the battleship line or a battleship blue lining. But very seldom do I see anything resembling racial slurs put into chat.

• Like 1

I rarely see much "salt" in chat. Sure, it occasionally occurs but I see much more good-natured banter and humor, thus the Chat Funnies threads I'm wont to start.

• Like 1

There's a mod in Aslains that can disable battle chat. I've used it in the past. It makes for bliss.

Also, you can just immediately black list / ignore them in game. My list is long... Not condoning their behavior but I've given up getting worked up over it. Such is the way of the world nowadays. Sadly...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Kalishnikat said:

After playing only low tiers for a long time, I got used to the nice helpful low tier community. My karma climbed and folks were nice. Recently have started playing Tier 7 again. Have been called the N word, Fa**ot, and told to do all sorts of nasty sexual things, my karma has gone down..all for just playing the game normally. These higher tiers seem infested with juvenile losers. I'm not one to run and tell but finally sent in a ticket on one particularly nasty offender. Going back to T3 and T4, life is fun there. 

Yep, high tiers is generally more likely to have toxicity in chat. There is a culture of allowing experienced players to troll or chat misbehave because they 'know better'.

The best course of action is to send in a customer support ticket with screenshots or the replay EVERY TIME.

Eventually, WG gets down to giving those guys consequences.

30 minutes ago, Kynami said:

I hardly ever see such behavior to be honest. There is plenty of the usual grumbling when you have a DD hiding behind the battleship line or a battleship blue lining. But very seldom do I see anything resembling racial slurs put into chat.

28 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I rarely see much "salt" in chat. Sure, it occasionally occurs but I see much more good-natured banter and humor, thus the Chat Funnies threads I'm wont to start.

It's certainly better than it was a few years back.

The game still has a problem with toxicity in chat though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kalishnikat said:

@xamdam and I seem to share an approach to the situation.
1.  during battle, if a player gets too salty or spams map-pings or quick-chat messages or anything else that I consider *annoying*, I'll chat-block them.
2.  If the situation is sufficiently annoying and/or they follow-up with a port-chat message, then the blacklist option is available and I've used it in the past.
3.  Screen-shots and a replay may be collected and used if I decide to create a ticket with Customer Support. 
Sufficiently salty chat and/or unsporting behavior are the sort of incidents that I don't mind handing-off to the Customer Service employees who have the appropriate tools and are paid to deal with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In general, this is why I play Asym or Ranked. Randoms has become problematic over the years without question. However, I'd honestly say the toxicity in WoWs is tame compared to WoT or other communities.

14 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Yep, high tiers is generally more likely to have toxicity in chat. There is a culture of allowing experienced players to troll or chat misbehave because they 'know better'.

The best course of action is to send in a customer support ticket with screenshots or the replay EVERY TIME.

Eventually, WG gets down to giving those guys consequences.

I've done that a few times, however it doesn't always work. I've seen people making death threats get only temporary bans(or nothing), which is supposed to be an account ban level offence according to the game conduct rules.

I generally dislike the customer support system, its not very reassuring when you get automated responses. It doesn't feel like things are being taken seriously, especially when its major infractions.

• Like 3

Nothing ruins a game like obnoxious/salty chat.  It usually comes from somebody who is already dead while you are still trying to win.  And I don't agree that it's kids.  Look at the demographics of the game.  More often it's obnoxious adults who should know better.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide
  • Like 4

Have been called the N word, Fa**ot, and told to do all sorts of nasty sexual things, my karma has gone down..all for just playing the game normally.

See, I would revel in people losing their s*** over whatever I'd done, have a bit of a laugh about it, feel the hate flow through me, and then off the garbage goes in a ticket to support. Then add them to blacklist and roll on.

• Like 3

Sadly that is Online Gaming in a nutshell.... people do/can do whatever they want in the safety of their little bubble without any consequences. :classic_dry:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

See, I would revel in people losing their s*** over whatever I'd done, have a bit of a laugh about it, feel the hate flow through me, and then off the garbage goes in a ticket to support. Then add them to blacklist and roll on.

I simply blacklist them and get away from the game for a few minutes or change modes of play.

• Like 5

Had a much this evening where a few players lost their stuff because some other players dared to use Spanish in chat on the NA server.   
 It’s also truly pathetic when someone thinks the worst insult is to use homophobic slurs in chat.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cheapinkc said:

Had a much this evening where a few players lost their stuff because some other players dared to use Spanish in chat on the NA server.   
 It’s also truly pathetic when someone thinks the worst insult is to use homophobic slurs in chat.  

Send in a customer support ticket.

Literally every other 'solution' is just a means offered by WG to hope that you won't actually report the violation so they won't have to deal with it.

Send in a customer support ticket EVERY TIME.

It is WGs job to police the chat. Make sure WG does so.

If they won't do so, then we need to raise that with the ESRB ratings boards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MBT808 said:

I generally dislike the customer support system, its not very reassuring when you get automated responses. It doesn't feel like things are being taken seriously, especially when its major infractions.

You can sometimes get a good laugh out of those automated responses. On a ticket opened one week ago for intentionally throwing a game (the offender likely went ballistic because he thought that a third player played bad), I got a classical auto-text reply sent / signed by a Giorgio... Machiavelli. I still chuckle when I recall it now.

Screenshot_20231224-065309.thumb.png.794c92d76897d31dcd1ac0b749082c0e.png

Regards, Nightowl

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Kalishnikat said:

I barely see anything like this happen, maybe it was a case of extreme circumstances that made it occur.

• Confused 3
  • Bored 1

I still get yelled at from time to time even though I am playing better. Sometimes it is my mistake, sometimes it couldn't be helped. I've been followed back to port three times. I say my piece there and blacklist them. What I say won't get chat banned. WG customer support would laugh at my anecdotes if they sent any print screens of my banter. I usually render the aggressor with nothing smart to say back. They have no EQ and no class. They are not clever and just sometimes an angry person that didn't get their way.

Usually its a BB player that has a problem [particularly with DDs].

Usually it is a low %age player who has no idea his win rate is horrible and doesn't pay attention or consider stats important. Especially to the match standings when they place lower than me.  I use this information in my banter if they follow me to port.

Usually they died before me and are armchair quarterbacking [or armchair admiral, if you are not familiar with QB].

Either way, I carry myself smartly into the next match. I don't really think the time invested in contacting customer support is worth the effort. Plus, they won't tell you what action they took, so it is doubly unsatisfying. 

Be clever, and carry on smartly. Don't let it get to you. People like this have real karma coming.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cheapinkc said:

ad a much this evening where a few players lost their stuff because some other players dared to use Spanish in chat on the NA server.   

That would depend on what was said in Spanish. 

I remember a point in the past at which the Spanish or Portuguese could get quite spicy, our South and Central American colleagues perhaps not realizing that some of the Gringos actually knew what was being said about them and their mothers. 😈

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Kalishnikat said:

This was following me to the port. Sure plenty of grumbling, but last few days has been nasty. 

Sounds like a WoT player...

• Haha 3

in all my years i could count with my fingers the amount of time people got mad at me in chat and only 1 went to the extreme of sending me a message after battle.

sure there are angry players throwing the blame on the rest of the team for their own bad decisions but the core problem is not so much the toxicity of players but how the game has created a toxic environment that frustrate the player. what i mean with this is that  our performance is tied to a team we can not choose and then you get to deal with things such as:

half the team dead in couple minutes while barely doing anything to the enemy team

DDs / Cvs not spotting

ships staying at the edge of their range instead of supporting the ones at the front.

cvs and subs making your life as miserable as possible while the ship that is supposed to counter them decide to bail out and leave you hanging

etc...

as a rule of thumb of multiplayer games the more we depend on a team we have no control over, the more likely the player will be frustrated and throw a tantrum when things don't go well.

• Like 2

That's the primary reason I went to strictly coop. I totally got fed up with the toxicity and anonymous reporting. No matter how many tickets one sends in, a troll will never change its spots or move to another bridge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paladin1954 said:

That's the primary reason I went to strictly coop. I totally got fed up with the toxicity and anonymous reporting. No matter how many tickets one sends in, a troll will never change its spots or move to another bridge.

You say that...but we used to have problems with certain KotS clans being toxic in chat.

I systematically reported in customer support tickets for about six months and I've never seen any issues from those clans again.

Eventually, WG staff do take action...and the smarter players change.

• Like 2

I recently had someone complain in chat that I was targeting them solely and that I was an a#$%)^e, should go ..... myself blah blah blah, because I hit him with 2 torps and he detonated. At the det I even said sorry and that I find the det mechanic stupid.....and I am and it is!

After I lol'd at his stream of obscenities, he followed it up by 'wishing my mother got cancer and died before I got a chance to see her'. Again I laughed it off and replied that she died many years ago....is that the best you got?

While in a CV Im not one to actively target a single ship, I like to spread it around 🙂  However, I do have a list of people who've said crap to me in chat or port message and I actively hunt them! I was fortunate enough to run into this person later that day when I was driving my FDR and while that CV is good as spreading the 'love', if you focus on one ship they wont last long...and they know it. Its like the grim reaper hanging around you 🙂 

I do report people for being toxic but I can take the swearing at me, I kind of enjoy it when Im in a CV :), but I take excessive toxicity personal and I will come after them....every chance I get.

• Like 2

I rarely read the chat msgs.  If the text is not green, it is completely irrelevant to the battle at hand.  I have no idea if anyone is disparaging me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kalishnikat said:

I play a lot and see that lvl of toxicity very rarely.  

• Like 1