Occasional WOT players: free T9 tank

Verblonde

Not sure if this belongs here or elsewhere; please feel free to move if it wants to be in another section.

If anyone else is like me, plays both WOWS and WOT, but generally focuses more on the ships: it might be worth at least logging into your WOT account - when I did last night, it dropped a freebie T9 'special' (not full premium, I believe) US medium tank (although it looks like a re-skinned heavy*) into my account.

No idea how good (or not) it really is yet, but free's free, and people may have missed it...

*Edit: I gather it's more accurately a heavy turret on a Patten hull (allegedly a test-bed for a potential eventual M60 armament).

Edited by Verblonde
  • Thanks 4

I don't play WoT, yet I've read that that "Patton the Tank" is absolutely horrible: miserably underpowered and cannot even be sold for much credits (sold price is merely 1000).

Just now, Project45_Opytny said:

I don't play WoT, yet I've read that that "Patton the Tank" is absolutely horrible: miserably underpowered and cannot even be sold for much credits (sold price is merely 1000).

I gave it a game last night (albeit probably badly built), and it does seem pretty mediocre. Then again, so am I (so at least some will be user error)...

It's presumably the usual 'mediocre freebie' thing. The gun seems to be decent, although (at least with my first build) hitting in the first place seems a bit troublesome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

I gave it a game last night (albeit probably badly built), and it does seem pretty mediocre. Then again, so am I (so at least some will be user error)...

It's presumably the usual 'mediocre freebie' thing. The gun seems to be decent, although (at least with my first build) hitting in the first place seems a bit troublesome.

I thought about that gift and our more familiar game soon after coming across WoT players complaining about how bad "Patton the Tank" seems to be, with some frustrated users bluntly refer to the tank with disparaging nicknames.

On one hand we have Scharnhorst 43 that can be earned with ease while being rather effective in brawling situation. On other hand, we have all witnessed WoWS events that players both pay and grind only to recieve horrible, underpowered trash-tier reward ships like Hizen and Marlborough. Between the extremes are a number of previous event ships: Somme, Repulse, Renown 44, Novorossiysk, Strasbourg, Dmitri Pozharsky, Jaeger...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Not sure if this belongs here or elsewhere; please feel free to move if it wants to be in another section.

If anyone else is like me, plays both WOWS and WOT, but generally focuses more on the ships: it might be worth at least logging into your WOT account - when I did last night, it dropped a freebie T9 'special' (not full premium, I believe) US medium tank (although it looks like a re-skinned heavy*) into my account.

No idea how good (or not) it really is yet, but free's free, and people may have missed it...

*Edit: I gather it's more accurately a heavy turret on a Patten hull (allegedly a test-bed for a potential eventual M60 armament).

I can't remember the last time I logged into my WOT account ... sometime in 2016 I think. I've been playing WOWS since I got into CBT and I haven't looked back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Send a screen shot of it and maybe, some of us old tread heads could figure it out....  Although, I would think they'd provide what it is....T-32 or T-103 etc....

I don't see why people complain about a free tank, or free anything. Don't wanna play it, then don't. I played a couple of games in mine, and it seems fine to me.

Not gonna go all Rambo in it, you know what it is, so play it for what it is.

Like I said, it's free, and it wasn't like it came with any stipulations like having to earn it through missions or codes, or any of the other scheming things World of Warships does to get "free" ships.  I mean, when was the last time World of Warships gave you a tier 9 ship just for logging in? Lol. Never.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Asym said:

Send a screen shot of it and maybe, some of us old tread heads could figure it out....  Although, I would think they'd provide what it is....T-32 or T-103 etc....

It's a M48A2/T54E2/T123E6 that has been reworked and stuck in tier 9. WG probably overnerfed it when they stuck it in tier 9, but it's still a free tank, lol. I played a couple a games in mine, and it seemed fine. Then again, I just recently came back to World of Tanks after about 6 years because I am getting seriously bored of Warships and WGs antics with it, so maybe I'm not the best judge on it.  Just I won't ever complain about a free tier 9, no matter how bad others may think it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Asym said:

image.thumb.png.8f11fd97173fffd415642c6349a8b077.png

The top is essentially a Renegade:

image.png.5534e6ba14bb28bf8e23012060cadfb5.png

Meanwhile, the back end:

image.thumb.png.a0c74608da0901cf6f775d9b37ba3d7a.png

...says Patton for the hull:

image.thumb.png.8c3a54d303540be179ed19de3d0f89c9.png

That last shot is obviously an M60, as mine is clearer than the M48 I have...

According to WG's blurb, it was part of deciding which main gun to put into what eventually became the M60.

• Like 2

It's free, though. The offer is available till December 31, IIRC. I got mine, and I performed horribly which means the tank is as good as any other tank because I perform horribly every battle, every tank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Potter said:

Just I won't ever complain about a free tier 9, no matter how bad others may think it is.

This! For the level I play at (pretty incompetent, made worse by having not played regularly for several years, *and* playing a lot of Blitz, which rewards playing a lot more manly than full-fat WOT does), it seems fine.

I'm still fiddling with builds (the one above is second version), as I have a few hundred demount tokens in stock (not sure how), but so far it feels like it struggles to shoot straight compared to similar things, while being fine at most other things (especially given that everyone and their dog seems to shoot gold these days, so who cares about armour)...

• Like 2

I grabbed it yesterday, not had chance to play it yet but at least it's free T9.

I think overall the Christmas event on WoT has been far better than WoWs with more free stuff and the value of the crates has been a lot better too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Thank you for reminding me, I used to play lots of WOT around +10k battles and stopped a while back. I will login and get the new thing but after looking at it on tanks.gg it actually looks quite mediocre.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I thought about that gift and our more familiar game soon after coming across WoT players complaining about how bad "Patton the Tank" seems to be, with some frustrated users bluntly refer to the tank with disparaging nicknames.

On one hand we have Scharnhorst 43 that can be earned with ease while being rather effective in brawling situation. On other hand, we have all witnessed WoWS events that players both pay and grind only to recieve horrible, underpowered trash-tier reward ships like Hizen and Marlborough. Between the extremes are a number of previous event ships: Somme, Repulse, Renown 44, Novorossiysk, Strasbourg, Dmitri Pozharsky, Jaeger...

I actually enjoy my Hizen, on the rare occasions that I play BB's. It was my First T9. The ZF-6 (another dockyard ship) can be an absolute monster, the combination of German HE with French reload booster and torps can be "unexpected", particularly for DD's pushing German smoke because German DD's don't have punchy torps or high DPM HE guns. Jaeger is an absolute monster if played in a div, and helped a number of CB teams curb-stomp in the season where it came out since there were no CV's to counter it. Other OP "reward" or "mission" ships include the Smolensk (now yanked) and the PEF, one of the best T6 brawling BB's. I also enjoy the Repulse, Great guns on a not-so-great hull.

That said, there are an awful lot of not-so-good reward ships out there... and I remember the Christmas where everyone got a Makarov in their Xmas crates

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ReDiR20 said:

gold ammo

This is a large part of why I don't play much full-fat WOT. In this regard, Blitz is far better: although it does still retain gold ammo, you lose damage dealing for the increased pen...

14 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Thanks, but my garage there is so rusty I bet I'd have to get a torch to cut the doors off. Probably smells funny too by now. Not worth downloading and reinstalling just for something I'm sure I'll never play.

Too bad WOT didn't have something like Asym with bots. I can't keep up with the kids in their speed buggies over there anymore. That was the game that got me started on this addiction. It's not the same game anymore though. For me at least.

Ah for the simple days again.

• Like 1