WG discord.

3LUE

3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Imagine typing more than 2 or 3 lines on Discord... Communication reduced to a couple sentences, a single intrascendent idea. It's evolution baby. 

The Twitter effect.... oops .... X effect?

Speaking of dumbass marketing plays....

3 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It's hilarious if this is indeed their position, as it means WG have a fundamental misunderstanding of what social media actually is and does.

I'd describe it more like a case-study worthy example of what not to do when trying to build up word of mouth marketing.  In the end it's unlikely to measurably hurt their bottom line, but word of mouth marketing is hard to measure.  Opportunity cost is one of those economic terms thats hard to measure but can have a massive effect.

Whose to say how much money will not be spent because of bad faith from those on the forums or could have been on the forums, but it's fair to say it's probably a enough that WG bosses would want a do-over if they knew the real number.

There is also the issue that game support is now also much harder to get as WG euthanized the cheap and easy way to supply it.  The forums supplied a way for members to help themselves for the low price of a few CM's to spend 20 or 30% of their time on it.  My own experience when I've tried it just to compare, is that technical advice on the game is mostly ignored on their discord "forums" to point that it is a waste of time to try.  So if you want tech support, it's down to the more troublesome, slower, and much more expensive (for WG) classic way of send off a support ticket and wait a day for response.... and in the mean time how much money is not spent by that player waiting for an answer?

The other side of this is that game evangelical effect, that I've seen written on the internet before.  Speaking from the perspective of an MBA graduate that concentrated on consumer behavior, I find this be more true than not.  You can still be an active enjoyer of a games while as the same time actively spreading negative reviews or marketing because you are pissed off at the developers/development of the game.  This is most definitely a thing.  I might go so far as to call it anti-viral marketing.

So WG and WOWS in particular is cutting edge in the that department.... but in the negative way.  If I were to go back to school to get a doctorate degree in marketing, I would definitely consider making my dissertation about how companies can effect viral marketing.  WG would definitely be data point if not a major contributor to negative management decisions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Well if they're complaining about something that we know isn't broken at all. Saying it's completely game breaking and needs to be removed/changed we know that they're not a good player and it is in-fact their own fault for not trying to get better and learn how to counter it.

Assuming that's possible. What is possible for some, may not be possible for others, especially considering I think the overwhelming majority of the players want to play the game for fun, not because they want to turn it into a job or make a career out of it.

The old forums presented, based on anecdotal observation, something of a microcosm of the player base in that there were all kinds of players there. I'm not sure if the same applies to those who are active on WG Discord, though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Assuming that's possible. What is possible for some, may not be possible for others, especially considering I think the overwhelming majority of the players want to play the game for fun, not because they want to turn it into a job or make a career out of it.

I also only play this game for fun and don't want to make a job out of it. Being honest basically everyone I know just plays the game because it's fun, no one wants to live off of it and use it like that. It's a game at the end of the day and there's no problem with just playing it casually. However there is a problem with people who think that something which is balanced is broken OP and even though we try to reason and teach them they don't care and don't realize it's themselves which is the problem.

5 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

The old forums presented, based on anecdotal observation, something of a microcosm of the player base in that there were all kinds of players there. I'm not sure if the same applies to those who are active on WG Discord, though.

Trust me there are all types of people on the Discord, everyday you'll see familiar faces and some other new people. It's genuinely not as bad as people say it is especially if some people I know are around. It does get bad when there are some particular members roaming around the chats with their dented opinions and even worse statistics blaming the game and not themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

I also only play this game for fun and don't want to make a job out of it. Being honest basically everyone I know just plays the game because it's fun, no one wants to live off of it and use it like that. It's a game at the end of the day and there's no problem with just playing it casually. However there is a problem with people who think that something which is balanced is broken OP and even though we try to reason and teach them they don't care and don't realize it's themselves which is the problem.

Trust me there are all types of people on the Discord, everyday you'll see familiar faces and some other new people. It's genuinely not as bad as people say it is especially if some people I know are around. It does get bad when there are some particular members roaming around the chats with their dented opinions and even worse statistics blaming the game and not themselves.

TBH, the biggest problem with WG Discord for me is its PITA functionality.

23 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Respectfully, your perception may be somewhat biased. You have your own "sandbox" on Discord, and you and a number of folks who frequent that sandbox put in the effort to make sure that it's useful and non-toxic. 

I personally prefer the Forum, and say what you will about WG, Ahskance spent a very intense 6 months defining what "good" should look like, recruiting a Mod team that was aligned, and spending countless hours playing whack-a-mole with problem posts and posters. The core of that moderation approach has been blatantly stolen by the DevStrike team, and is IMO one of the reasons that this forum Doesn't have a lot of toxicity. DevStrike doesn't have as many active members as the old forums, but we also don't average >700 posts a day for the team to review, and I personally send a LOT less warnings than I used to, even as a percentage of posts read.

Thanks everyone for making this a good place to go, and I'll try to get the next couple of training exercises up and ready for people to try (and tell me how to make them better) over Christmas.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Perhaps WG have a bit more self-awareness than we might think?

Sure WG does, they are very self-aware of their wallet. Their Discord channel? Imo, a glorified thread for 'utopia'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aethervox said:

Sure WG does, they are very self-aware of their wallet. Their Discord channel? Imo, a glorified thread for 'utopia'.

WG likes to show they can keep their finger on the pulse of gaming trends, stay hip, and market their game to audiences who do not like to play their games. They probably hired one of those 'gurus' or whatever they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

The more people are in a channel talking, the harder it is to back read. Generally people do not back read, and if they do, they are probably just skimming for people they know talking.

Game-discussion is completely useless if you're looking for a discussion about anything.

The forums are slightly more useful, but when the thread gets long, old comments are buried in the way Discord buries them. See rules on back reading for that.

Discord is okay for what it is, but it's definitely a terrible forum replacement. But for WG, they benefit by reducing costs, and obfuscating their game further by destroying old threads and burying new ones in third party software.

Discord chat is wildly random where people be talking about how bad some ship names are such as Nottingham apparently, then takes a 180 turn where they start talking about owning guns, then suddenly went on to the topic of teeth and shortly afterwards "bronies"

In a 10 min span

Edited by Vader_Sama
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Discord chat is wildly random where people be talking about how bad some ship names are such as Nottingham apparently, then takes a 180 turn where they start talking about owning guns, then suddenly went on to the topic of teeth and shortly afterwards "bronies"

In a 10 min span

Such a thing would be inconceivable here on the proper forum.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Such a thing would be inconceivable here on the proper forum.

I mean, its possible. Generally such 180s would probably occur over a significantly longer period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MBT808 said:

I mean, its possible. Generally such 180s would probably occur over a significantly longer period.

True, the Discord attention span is measured in millimeters.

• Haha 3

On 12/23/2023 at 8:35 AM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Since none of us are on WGs payroll, it doesn't matter what WG wants. They are not the boss of us.

Your absolutely right but guess what... WoWs is a clubhouse and WG is the owner/producer; regardless of the source material.

It's hilarious if this is indeed their position, as it means WG have a fundamental misunderstanding of what social media actually is and does.

It's called ownership and they exercise it with authority. They probably don't want to see or hear the likes of LWM or Flamu in format ever again. I've noticed the former hasn't posted any new content in quite a while. And Flamu, has been reduced to rambling rants.

My inside info is the experiences I had on Discord itself.

Same, I looked at discord for less than an hour and deciphered the hidden code under the welcome mat; WG is really pissed off; in the hemisphere where Westerners do not understand... Nobody can nerf RL.

Your attempt at gaslighting here is laughable. I don't care how you think it sounds, I was there...I remember.

Horrifically mistaken dude, I'm merely being captain obvious because it's beyond obvious a great deal of posters don't understand stand: Obvious. WG are people, and one of their founders I believe is on an Eastern Block Terrorist list; that has a huge effect on people's psychology when both employees and paying Customers are literally dead... Because of the war in Ukraine. All exacerbated by the fact that a great deal of that platerbase they shut up want them defended as of they're a dependent of the Kremlin. One of the first post I've seen on this website was a virtue call to exact that boycott upon who were once upon a time garage entertainers... Now a billion dollar international company.

And I said WG volunteers, so if you are going to throw around accusations....don't strawman.

The truth hurts... Sometimes really, really bad; especially it's enforced by current events. It doesn't matter who side your on you have to be respectful. These are billionaires and researcher's after all.

Edited by Crokodone
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Your absolutely right but guess what... WoWs is a clubhouse and WG is the owner/producer; regardless of the source material.

Not how that works.

It's called ownership and they exercise it with authority. They probably don't want to see or hear the likes of LWM or Flamu in format ever again. I've noticed the former hasn't posted any new content in quite a while. And Flamu, has been reduced to rambling rants.

LOL

Time to take another shot!

The Flamu drinking game is great fun.

Same, I looked at discord for less than an hour and deciphered the hidden code under the welcome mat; WG is really pissed off; in the hemisphere where Westerners do not understand... Nobody can nerf RL.

If WG is unhappy with how that is all going, they have only to look in a mirror to see who is responsible.

Of course, it's more fun just to advance the Flamu drinking game...so they do that.

Horrifically mistaken dude, I'm merely being captain obvious because it's beyond obvious a great deal of posters don't understand stand: Obvious. WG are people, and one of their founders I believe is on an Eastern Block Terrorist list; that has a huge effect on people's psychology when both employees and paying Customers are literally dead... Because of the war in Ukraine. All exacerbated by the fact that a great deal of that platerbase they shut up want them defended as of they're a dependent of the Kremlin. One of the first post I've seen on this website was a virtue call to exact that boycott upon who were once upon a time garage entertainers... Now a billion dollar international company.

Not sure what this rant is about. Want to clarify it?

The truth hurts... Sometimes really, really bad; especially it's enforced by current events. It doesn't matter who side your on you have to be respectful. These are billionaires and researcher's after all.

Do I have to be respectful?

Why?

Being a billionaire or a researcher does not automatically entitle someone to respect.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bored 1

2 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Not how that works.

LOL

Time to take another shot!

If WG is unhappy with how that is all going, they have only to look in a mirror to see who is responsible.

Of course, it's more fun just to advance the Flamu drinking game...so they do that.

Not sure what this rant is about. Want to clarify it?

Do I have to be respectful?

Why?

Being a billionaire or a researcher does not automatically entitle someone to respect.

If that's how you feel than my statement has flown above your head: ty and sorry.

• Haha 2

On 12/22/2023 at 10:14 PM, BOBTHEBALL said:

Well depending on the problem maybe he was really just bad, that's just the honest truth to be honest.

Recently I saw a Discord thread where someone went on for posts and posts about MM, mechanics, bad players, etc and people offered help at first, but finally there was a pile on because he didnt relent, and was in fact truly abysmally bad. 

• Bored 1

9 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Recently I saw a Discord thread where someone went on for posts and posts about MM, mechanics, bad players, etc and people offered help at first, but finally there was a pile on because he didnt relent, and was in fact truly abysmally bad. 

Sounds bad all around.

Two things...

1) Ignoring him was impossible?

2) Moderation staff didn't handle it as spam, off topic, or forcibly move to it's own topic?

Either way, it's proof that WG discord is shoddily run and full of people who think being toxic is an acceptable response.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Sounds bad all around.

Two things...

1) Ignoring him was impossible?

2) Moderation staff didn't handle it as spam, off topic, or forcibly move to it's own topic?

Either way, it's proof that WG discord is shoddily run and full of people who think being toxic is an acceptable response.

1) Its Discord. Anyone who provides set ups is gonna get punchlines. 

2) No moderation as of when I read it, looked like everyone had moved on at that point.  

3 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

1) Its Discord. Anyone who provides set ups is gonna get punchlines. 

Exactly my point. The crowd over there thinks it's ok to be toxic to viewpoints outside the clique...

...and there is no moderation to enforce respect.

It's not a safe place, and I actively tell new people to avoid it...so they don't get run off from the game by the elitist cliques.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

Yeah it happens

16 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

Its Discord.         

Is not the definition of this word 'contentiousness', 'argument', 'disagreement', etc. In other words to scream at each other without listening. Isn't this site also controlled by the WG thought police or their lackeys?

19 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Exactly

19 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Is this a reference to people who 'drink up' Flamu's opinions

(I don't follow any famous/infamous commentators hence the query)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Is this a reference to people who 'drink up' Flamu's opinions

(I don't follow any famous/infamous commentators hence the query)

I find that the way WG staff prefer to complain about the game is to complain about Flamu doing things they don't like as though he is responsible for the ills of the game.

It happens so often I've started the Flamu drinking game...whenever someone mentions Flamu ruining the game, we take a shot.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I find that the way WG staff prefer to complain about the game is to complain about Flamu doing things they don't like as though he is responsible for the ills of the game.

It happens so often I've started the Flamu drinking game...whenever someone mentions Flamu ruining the game, we take a shot.

I hadn't realized Flamu is so influential.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I hadn't realized Flamu is so influential.

He has a high YouTube feed suggestion rate thus a lot of people see his hyperbolic comments regarding WG.  He is usually right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Yup. It seems that they like to portray him as....

1*6ESAJ0BfjR5bFlepnas3Aw.jpeg

.....whereupon he is more like....

mjmOJNS.png

except manners....

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Cheers! cap_tea.gif

• Like 3