Things that feel broken in the game

kriegerfaust

I was just sailing the Collinwood and thought i hit another battleship my guns shells, when i read no damage no big deal i could have A missed or B bounced my shell but nope i disabled there engines at least for a second.  Then how did i do no damage, are the engines not part of the ship.  Did my shell phase through the hull and kill the chief engineer the one-man operating the engines.  Or did poor Scotty see my shells coming and have a heart attack and for five seconds no one knew to press the go button.  Has anyone had something so weird that was just so crazy that you wonder how the game works or is it just me and the game works perfectly.

Edited by kriegerfaust
  • Haha 1

I'm gonna say you were firing HE.  HE has an aoe damage radius that dosn't damage the ship but can damage modules and stuff.   I had a turret get knocked out on my cruiser by an HE shell that hit the water.       Most bb's have lots of armor and hps on their rudder/ prop shafts, but some don't.  Regardless you can still knock them out. 

Edited by WES_HoundDog

26 minutes ago, kriegerfaust said:

Then how did i do no damage, are the engines not part of the ship.

Modules have hidden HP pools that are separate from that of the hull. HE shells have a splash damage effect that only affects modules. This is best demonstrated in how near misses will often knock out multiple of the fragile modules on a DD.

Things don't just 'feel' broken in WoWS, they 'are' broken. Things such as reworked CVs & Flubs (err, Subs). Not to mention broken AA (a result of WoWS removing RTS CVS). 

• Like 2
  • Bored 1

8 hours ago, kriegerfaust said:

I was just sailing the Collinwood and thought i hit another battleship my guns shells, when i read no damage no big deal i could have A missed or B bounced my shell but nope i disabled there engines at least for a second.  Then how did i do no damage, are the engines not part of the ship.  Did my shell phase through the hull and kill the chief engineer the one-man operating the engines.  Or did poor Scotty see my shells coming and have a heart attack and for five seconds no one knew to press the go button.  Has anyone had something so weird that was just so crazy that you wonder how the game works or is it just me and the game works perfectly.

Its because of the stoopid way WOWS calculates damage

😁😁first ever enemy salvo in a match, asyms, first ever shell..a fire, dcpd the second it started out of sheer amazement while being greeted in chat…’aaaa noob this noob that, you dont dcp one fire blah blah’…of course you do if you wish to pretend it never happened🤟😉

• Haha 1

Just to say, last night, hour or so after stream, things on my side was also weird (Random and Ranked). Different ships (Boise, Massa, Tirpitz etc...) some shells was falling in ocean, some of them was right. Damadge also had hiccups. Wasn't problem in aiming, but don't know what happen. Today is all OK since morning (we will see tonight how will be). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Strange. I got the sane thing on collingwood AP, middle of hull to Colorado. Desync?

I have often thought in a tin foil hat sort of way...that the game doesn't ACTUALLY calculated where a hit is scored by ship geometry...but only 'randomly' assigns citadels, incaps, penetrations, overpenetrations, bounces, shatters based on what the match engine thinks should happen or needs to happen from a salvo that hits the ship hit box.

This is unlikely...but fun to think about when you get those head scratching results.

😄

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Modules have hidden HP pools that are separate from that of the hull. HE shells have a splash damage effect that only affects modules. This is best demonstrated in how near misses will often knock out multiple of the fragile modules on a DD.

You mean essentially it's about damage saturation?

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

You mean essentially it's about damage saturation?

No, damage saturation is something completely different. Damage saturation is the ability of areas of the hull to take less HP damage after a certain point. Modules have completely separate, independent HP pools that affect how and when they become incapacitated or destroyed. The exception to this are main battery turrets, which were modified a while back to pass along a fraction of the damage inflicted upon them (10%, IIRC) to the ship itself. This was done to reduce the effectiveness of bow-tanking BBs, especially those with wide turrets that could act as large damage sponges.

When an HE shell strikes a ship, a simple check is made to determine whether the shell does damage to the ship’s HP pool: is the shell’s fixed penetration value greater than or equal to the armor in question? If yes, it does damage to the ship’s HP pool, particularly to the hull section that it struck (which plays into damage saturation). HE shells also have a splash radius that varies by shell, with larger (and British) shells having larger splash radii. Modules (main battery mounts, engines, rudders, torpedo tubes, AA guns, secondary mounts) within this area will take damage as well separate from the ship’s HP and can be eventually incapacitated or destroyed as a result. As I mentioned in my post above, this is how you can have ships (especially DDs) experience incapacitations from near-miss HE shells that don’t actually do any damage to the ship’s HP pool (since they don’t hit the hull).

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

No, damage saturation is something completely different. Damage saturation is the ability of areas of the hull to take less HP damage after a certain point. Modules have completely separate, independent HP pools that affect how and when they become incapacitated or destroyed. The exception to this are main battery turrets, which were modified a while back to pass along a fraction of the damage inflicted upon them (10%, IIRC) to the ship itself. This was done to reduce the effectiveness of bow-tanking BBs, especially those with wide turrets that could act as large damage sponges.

When an HE shell strikes a ship, a simple check is made to determine whether the shell does damage to the ship’s HP pool: is the shell’s fixed penetration value greater than or equal to the armor in question? If yes, it does damage to the ship’s HP pool, particularly to the hull section that it struck (which plays into damage saturation). HE shells also have a splash radius that varies by shell, with larger (and British) shells having larger splash radii. Modules (main battery mounts, engines, rudders, torpedo tubes, AA guns, secondary mounts) within this area will take damage as well separate from the ship’s HP and can be eventually incapacitated or destroyed as a result. As I mentioned in my post above, this is how you can have ships (especially DDs) experience incapacitations from near-miss HE shells that don’t actually do any damage to the ship’s HP pool (since they don’t hit the hull).

I see, thank you, so this also explains how HE shells can citadel weakly armored targets.

13 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I see, thank you, so this also explains how HE shells can citadel weakly armored targets.

The “splash” damage only affects modules - it doesn’t interact with a ship hull’s HP pool. The only ships that can be citadeled by HE shells are those with weakly armored, exposed citadels that the HE shells directly contact. HE shells (and SAP) explode on contact with the outermost plating and do not penetrate/deal HP damage into the interior of a ship.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1