I Like Tier 7 ranked

XVirtusX

Honestly, tier 7 is one of my favorite tiers. Jarvis can kick some serious ass, I think its the best gunboat at the tier and it is free. Also having some good times with Huron, although this one is much less forgiving but can make wonders too!  I think it is a bit saturated every ranked being high tiers. There is much fun in 6 and 7, although I see that tier 6 have more balancing issues than 7, at least thats what I think.

• Like 3

Leningrad has been good for me. It can get to the caps quicker than the other DDs, and then good guns and torps for defending.

It's nice not having any CVs or subs, and just the Atlanta radar to worry about. Great for grinding DD captains.

Pretty much just guns and torps.

• Like 3

Besides Haida and maybe Belfast, there aren't really any OP ships off the top of my head.

It's a solid tier for ranked. Akatsuki is also one of the best ships in the IJN torp line.

Bronze league means it's relatively easy to carry, so better players can gather doubloons and steel in a very casual manner there.

• Like 2

It was pretty cool. Ashitaka was a beast in it... But I made the mistake of advancing to the cancer tier. Feels silly that I should have trolled some games in order to keep playing the fun mode.

I can only agree ... no CVs and no subs make wonder to the enjoyment of the game ... Atlanta, Boise, Gadjah Mada ... I also tried the Huron but that one is a piece of trash in the setup ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Feels silly that I should have trolled some games in order to keep playing the fun mode.

I know, right?  I haven't trolled any games lately, but I will play ships that aren't that good to knock off flakes or even play something else for a while.

Right now T7 ranked is 90% of my play in the game.

9 hours ago, Verytis said:

Besides Haida and maybe Belfast, there aren't really any OP ships off the top of my head.

I'd add Atlanta to that list too.  At least for me.... lately I'm probably high 60's or low 70's in it.  If you can position right, you can either smash or at least run off the opposing DD almost every game.

.image.thumb.png.3940a0d8ba7bed1f2368db1a4e41ac0b.png

It's not as strong as Atlanta/Belfast, but I can do nearly as well with Flint too.

I'd also put Toulon on the list.  It smashes most cruisers.

While I'd want to have one, if there was ever a T7 CB season, Toulon would have to be limited to 1 if not banned.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, palestreamer said:

…and just the Atlanta radar to worry about.

Indianapolis and Belfast hear that, and think quietly, “Nnnnnnnext!”

6 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

I'd add Atlanta to that list too.  At least for me.... lately I'm probably high 60's or low 70's in it.  If you can position right, you can either smash or at least run off the opposing DD almost every game.

Atlanta dies to 203mm overmatch, while struggling to hit things at range, such that even DDs can try to kite it.

Reason I mention Belfast and not Atlanta is because of the smoke.

However given that its bronze league, I don't expect most players to do these things.

No comment on Toulon, not familiar with it. But large cruisers really do this habit of being oppressive in small formats, especially to CLs.

8 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

I'd also put Toulon on the list.  It smashes most cruisers.

While I'd want to have one, if there was ever a T7 CB season, Toulon would have to be limited to 1 if not banned.

Toulon? On some OP ship list?! It would have to loose at least 8 seconds of its reload time to be entitled for this.

There are much better options to smash cruisers at T7, even when considering a DD threat: Strasbourg, Hyūga (both with a MBRB), Prinz Heinrich (hydro), and yes, I know that these are BB, but I do not see any valid reason to take the Toulon when you're able to take a true BB, not a tin can masquerading as big gun ship. Among cruisers... Asturias, maybe?

Regards, Nightowl

2 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Indianapolis and Belfast hear that, and think quietly, “Nnnnnnnext!”

Indianapolis also gets 25mm plating to go along with that radar, which is quite the boon in a queue flooded with Scharnhorst’43s. Yorck is also, IMO, a hidden gem among cruisers in this tier VII Ranked season. Guns that are equally effective kiting or engaging at close range, a tanky hull that can bounce all the 283mm AP flying around, surprising agility for a CA, German hydro, and lots of torpedoes.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Indianapolis also gets 25mm plating to go along with that radar, which is quite the boon in a queue flooded with Scharnhorst’43s. Yorck is also, IMO, a hidden gem among cruisers in this tier VII Ranked season. Guns that are equally effective kiting or engaging at close range, a tanky hull that can bounce all the 283mm AP flying around, surprising agility for a CA, German hydro, and lots of torpedoes.

I don’t do the Yorck, myself, but I always find them a tough customer in Ranked.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northern Nightowl said:

Toulon? On some OP ship list?! It would have to loose at least 8 seconds of its reload time to be entitled for this.

There are much better options to smash cruisers at T7, even when considering a DD threat: Strasbourg, Hyūga (both with a MBRB), Prinz Heinrich (hydro), and yes, I know that these are BB, but I do not see any valid reason to take the Toulon when you're able to take a true BB, not a tin can masquerading as big gun ship. Among cruisers... Asturias, maybe?

Regards, Nightowl

Toulon doesn't overmatch just 3 cruisers.  When it's just T7 or lower, Toulon has a big advantage over nearly all other cruisers.... and they can't run away since it's too fast. 

I have had several ranked games where I take out all the red cruisers...and then you can setup crossfires against the remaining BBs.  Had a nearly 3k game like that recently. 

7 hours ago, Verytis said:

Atlanta dies to 203mm overmatch, while struggling to hit things at range, such that even DDs can try to kite it.

But a well played Atlanta can work around it too.  It puts down so much damage that a CA would need some RNG help to win for sure.

Lead times are long for sure....but any DD in it's concealment range I will usually hit....and with a little practice BBs are easy targets even at max range.

....and on these mid tier medium maps....Atlanta is in it's element.  If you're decent as blind fire then you wail away on a targets that assume they have cover...until the 127 parachutes start raining down.

12 hours ago, Northern Nightowl said:

They were talking in a clan battle situation where you already have a limit of one battleship. And while that 28 second reload is definitely annoyingly long... not many cruisers at that tier can reliably shave off 25k or more health in a single salvo by ambushing somebody's flank. Throw in the fact it can be scooting around at 37.5 knots and has a heal on a platform with a 10.1km detection and it is a very annoying package when played well. A high point captain with top grade gunner in the bag and some adrenaline from no longer being at max health and it can pretty happily be shelling you every 22-24 seconds with those 305mm guns.

So yeah in a theoretical T7 7v7 CB where there can be only one BB it has to be mindful of it would be running rampant.

• Like 1

Tier 7 ranked and brawl should be the best thing WG has ever done. 

So of course they F us. I see 20+ BB's in que at all times, yet wait 3+min for a game. We could just have all BB teams battling each other, which everyone waiting with a BB would be totally cool with, but no. We just wait for other classes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mashed68 said:

So of course they F us. I see 20+ BB's in que at all times, yet wait 3+min for a game. We could just have all BB teams battling each other, which everyone waiting with a BB would be totally cool with, but no. We just wait for other classes. 

Tier VII has always been a tier dominated by BBs and DDs, as outside a few exceptions (see earlier posts in this thread for some of them) most cruisers at the tier don’t have enough going for them to overcome their lack of survivability and concealment in the Ranked/Brawl format. There are also quite a few tech tree battleships at tier VII that hold up very well against their premium counterparts, so I’m not surprised that BBs are very popular.

That and the queues are full of players in their shiny new Scharnhorst’43s.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 9:19 PM, Verytis said:

Reason I mention Belfast and not Atlanta is because of the smoke.

However given that its bronze league, I don't expect most players to do these things.

No comment on Toulon, not familiar with it. But large cruisers really do this habit of being oppressive in small formats, especially to CLs.

The only huge problem for Atlanta this Ranked season is one map (Islands of ice) as that one has a bad island layout for the Atlanta to work properly. Other than that, it works nicely ... the caps are too close to each other to have range issues ...

3 hours ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

The only huge problem for Atlanta this Ranked season is one map (Islands of ice) as that one has a bad island layout for the Atlanta to work properly. Other than that, it works nicely ... the caps are too close to each other to have range issues ...

That map is more challenging for Atl but if you position well (and can aim well) it is still quite workable.... not to mention that it's usually arms race.... so often you end of with either some healing or 400k+ HE DPM.  Even Sinop dies fast to that.

More than any map....my biggest problem is usually when my team dies faster than I can compensate for.... but can also make for good games... like this one I just played...

image.thumb.png.c617f5b127faddd2f79d0d56cb2ef33b.png

image.thumb.png.97cffbfbdf6bc79b39cff4b03fd6b1b4.png

image.thumb.png.e6ef2dec6b0ba029efeb325b531cebf9.png

Edited by YouSatInGum

On 12/24/2023 at 8:32 AM, OT2_2 said:

Belfast TVII beats them all IMHO, even Mahan and Gadjah Mada. Easy to use if you master her. Skjermbilde2023-12-24152735.thumb.png.bd86bd2fbb1c35d16e8bd532d280d3da.png

I've only played it as a rental ship a while back, but still I'd put Atlanta against it... like you say... if "mastered".

My current season stats with Lanta:

image.thumb.png.d1d912b8a1a654e6df98b8c22d42feea.png

...and that's with a couple of those losses due to factors like losing connection and not getting back in before being AFK sunk.

Belfast is prob better for the quick DD kill that often gets the Win ball rolling, but Atlanta is much better when it comes to melting down BB's.  Those like Colorado or KGV/York are especially vulnerable from having 26mm everywhere making 5-8k salvos every 4.5 seconds a thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

but still I'd put Atlanta against it

I will take a closer look into her. Love to play cruisers in general, but CL are especially challenging and bring great joy when mastered.

29 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Eh I'd prefer tier 8 or 10 being honest.

I understand....the ship selection is much more... BUT....

T7 only ranked is this game in pure form.... NO CV, NO SUB, NO HYBRID bullshit. 

So I'm enjoying the living shit out of Bronze.... I actually have to stop playing Atlanta/Flint or I rank out too soon.

2 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

I understand....the ship selection is much more... BUT....

T7 only ranked is this game in pure form.... NO CV, NO SUB, NO HYBRID bullshit. 

So I'm enjoying the living shit out of Bronze.... I actually have to stop playing Atlanta/Flint or I rank out too soon.

I understand that, I agree with that however I miss playing some great ships I really enjoy so it's tough for me.