Get your money for nothing, Credits for free?

LTC_Tiger

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Shipmas event may just be the gift that keeps on giving...

In particular, this discount caught my eye:

• −60% to the cost of expendable camouflages in Credits in the relevant section of the game client

If the discount is 60%, and when the sale ends, they return to full price and can be sold for 50% of their full price value, then it seems to me you can make a 10% profit on all credits invested by buying as many camos as possible and then selling them after the sale, no?

Edited by LTC_Tiger

Can you do this? Kinda. However the catch is you can only buy a single camo of each standard type with credits. And you cannot buy another of a given camo until the first one has been used. So no you cannot easily bank a few hundred camos for a tidy profit. And when the discount ends you have to painstakingly sell each individual camo for your tiny profit. You'd make more credits by just playing the game with the time you'd waste trying to eke out this insignificant profit.

• Like 2

Well, the profit would be 25%, as your cost/fain basis is the purchase price you pay to get the ones you sell, not the normal buying price.

That having been said, Kynami is right: your profits will be rather limited, and will take a lot of time to obtain: You can only buy camos that you do not have any of in inventory, and you can only buy one of them at a time. Remember the inventory rule: if you have a camo or a signal flag assigned to a ship, it remains counted as “in inventory.” You can assign it to every ship you have, and it’s still counted as in inventory. It only leaves inventory when a ship takes it to battle; the first one to use it, removes it from inventory.

I wrote about this on the old forum last year. Takes a long time to grab them all, one at a time, to be limited to only one, and net profit in the end was only a couple million credits.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Remember the inventory rule:

This is not the same as it used to be. I'm not sure whether it was changed to prevent min-maxing of credits in this way, or to save the sanity of the min-maxers who fitted for-credits camos to each one of their gazillion ships on discount and then meticulously sold them again one by one afterwards. 

When the Germans were working out the logistics for the Schlieffen plan, they calculated it down to the number of railway axles passing over a given spot per unit time. I read somewhere that the degree of calculation required destroyed the minds of some of the people doing the planning and drove them into nervous breakdowns. Clearly some of those same people have been resurrected as WOWS min-maxers! 

The effort spent to do this is better put into fighting a handful of high tier random battles with blue credit boosters. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LTC_Tiger said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Shipmas event may just be the gift that keeps on giving...

In particular, this discount caught my eye:

• −60% to the cost of expendable camouflages in Credits in the relevant section of the game client

If the discount is 60%, and when the sale ends, they return to full price and can be sold for 50% of their full price value, then it seems to me you can make a 10% profit on all credits invested by buying as many camos as possible and then selling them after the sale, no?

That is true but I saw this and couldn't find a way to mass purchase camos. Unless anyone else can find a way then we can actually put this to use.

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

This is not the same as it used to be.

People forget the Inventory Rework. Happened the same time they castrated camos of their bonuses.

It’s the same with signal flags. If you have one signal flag of a type, you can mount it on every ship in your fleet, and inventory still shows you as having one. First ship to put to sea gets to use it, the rest are holding the bag.

The difference with signal flags is tgat there is a buying arrangement in the Armory that permits bundle buying.

Can’t resurrect my old post in the subject, but I recall it taking quite some time to buy and sell the camos. Probably could earn more credits using the time in battle than I did by using the time to slog through the buying and selling.

Of course someone who is really strapped for credits might value it differently.