How "old" is the wine? Forum demographics "poll" :)

Andrewbassg

How "old" is the wine? Forum demographics "poll" :)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. As per the title

2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I'm so old I

Watched Sputnik I pass overhead; 
Listened to the Kennedy/Nixon debates on TV and thought Nixon had the best of it; 
Attended the first (and last) Annual Denver Pop Festival (shortly before Woodstock);
Watched raptly with my brothers and 7 or 8 cousins as Man stepped onto Luna;
Got a job programming before there were even CS courses;
Forgot (for good reason) most of the 70s.

My Dad was one of the original Computer Geeks right after WW2.  So.......I was reading core dumps and getting paid a dine a piece for syntax errors.  IBM Assembler?  COBOL?  FORTRAN.  And, my first degree was in "data processing !" (programming).  An Army Systems Automation Officer secondary......   And, I hate computers today.

I am so old, we had to toggle the IPL into the main frames !

AND

I can truly say I have been inside of a CPU !  Remember the CPU wiring diagrams and the rectangle of wire panels, with a hollow core,  that allowed it to cool !  I climbed inside of that hollow when we were playing flashlight tag in the under-flooring where the AC was forced to cool the CPU...  It wasn't on thank GoD.... But, I still have the colored wires and gray IBM connector blocks !

image.png.868645ce8a1bb43324ed34b28229266c.png

Edited by Asym
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I'm so old I

Watched Sputnik I pass overhead; 
Listened to the Kennedy/Nixon debates on TV and thought Nixon had the best of it; 
Attended the first (and last) Annual Denver Pop Festival (shortly before Woodstock);
Watched raptly with my brothers and 7 or 8 cousins as Man stepped onto Luna;
Got a job programming before there were even CS courses;
Forgot (for good reason) most of the 70s.

And I thought I was old. 

1970's Stayin Alive, the song

2023 Stayin Alive, the goal.

20 minutes ago, Slammer58 said:

I'm so old when I was a kid, our TV (B&W) only had 3 stations.

Oh man..... that's luxury! 🙂 We were fortunate to live close to the border, so we had 2. One from the neighbours ( if it wasn't jammed) and one from the regime. Two hours a day. Four on Sunday.

Yeah..... I truly understand those poor sod N Koreans.....

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 4:09 PM, Slammer58 said:

I'm so old when I was a kid, our TV (B&W) only had 3 stations.

We theoretically got three area stations but actually only two because when they built the second elevator out by the railroad tracks it blocked CBS. I always wondered why we were always going out and visiting a farmer that Dad occasionally helped out. I now realize that's when the games on CBS were on. That farmer had a picture of a battleship on his wall with a bunch of stars glued to it. I didn't know until much later that he'd served on that ship during WWII and that those were battle stars. I can't recall which one it was though.

Edit: I just Googled his name. He'd sold his farm and moved from the area several years ago and I lost track of him but he only died last year. According to his obituary, his ship was the Iowa.

245218520_24a43e18-ef94-4cd6-9401-0acd33c60b95.jpeg.6905cd1906e4debe5ab990e0fb947e92.jpeg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Wow! Look who the cat brought! I'm so glad to see you!! Hopefully  it wasn't an accident and I will see you around.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Wow! Look who the cat brought! I'm so glad to see you!! Hopefully  it wasn't an accident and I will see you around.

I hadn't played the game in a long time but got the urge to update it a couple of days ago. When I logged on, I saw a message from Wolfswetpaws, which led me here.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I hadn't played the game in a long time but got the urge to update it a couple of days ago. When I logged on, I saw a message from Wolfswetpaws, which led me here.

46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif

You know who inspired that, right? 🙂 

I got dismissed early from elementary school on Nov 22nd 1963. 

Did tune ups (remember points, plugs and condensers?) and oil changes on my 1970 Triumph TR-6. 

Now Im in a No Hair band. 

Edited by Pugilistic
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

Did tune ups (remember points, plugs and condensers?)

I've still got my old timing light, dwell meter, and remote starter switch out in the shop. I haven't used them in fifteen years, and that was on a '50 Desoto that my dad bought at a farm sale. My current truck keeps itself in tune. All I have to do is change the spark plugs every 30,000 miles.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2023 at 11:06 AM, Pugilistic said:

1970 Triumph TR-6. 

Such a fun car!  Feels like you're sitting on the pavement. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I've still got my old timing light, dwell meter, and remote starter switch out in the shop. I haven't used them in fifteen years, and that was on a '50 Desoto that my dad bought at a farm sale. My current truck keeps itself in tune. All I have to do is change the spark plugs every 30,000 miles.

I had mine, plus a few like compression gauge, flow meter (for carb balancing), etc.  Gave (almost) all my tools to my nephew-in-law.  I'm certain he hasn't had occasion to use them either.

42 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Darn... you guys are so old I feel like a kid at 46 😄

71 here. You are a kid at 46.😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

When the Triumph was my daily driver, the shop manual was constant reading material.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

When the Triumph was my daily driver, the shop manual was constant reading material.

Dad bought a '50 Desoto at a farm sale. Reading the service manual, I found that there were no fewer than 30 things you needed to grease, oil, or adjust every month of continuous operation. The air filter was an oil bath that had to be cleaned and re-filled, the water pump had an oil cup, the generator and distributor had two oil cups each, and there were a ton of zerks that needed greased. Of course back when that car was new there were still real service stations where you could have all of that done for you. 

That car was bought by a local farmer new and just driven around the county until he died, after which it sat in a barn for 30 years. Dad said that a rich kid when he was in high school had one and was the envy of all the students. Dad and his twin brother drove a broken-down '35 Chevy in high school. We'd occasionally drive that Desoto around town or in parades. It only had 48,000 miles on it. I would have liked to have kept it when Dad died but my my siblings wanted $15,000 for it, which was way too much. My brother hauled it to the city, where I think it sold for $7,000. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Holy moly everyone is ancient

Yeah, WOWS is a "geezer game" for sure. It's one of the few "shooters" that can be successfully played by people with slower reflexes. A lot of people on the internet seem amazed when I tell them that I play computer games but what they don't realize is that people my age have been playing computer games since we were young. I was playing Wizardry and Ultima when I was in grad school in the early 80s and had been playing Apple II games even before that. Back in the 70s, computer games were distributed in magazines and you had to key them into your computer before playing them. You could then save them on cassette tape so you didn't have to key them in again.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Says the whippersnapper (LOL).

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Nobody is ancient. We are.....experienced. 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Thanks 1

Damn, the oldest things I remember were pagers, floppy disks, and library cards. Also the Ford Crown Victoria CVPI that my mom drove for work (if you know, you know). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewbassg said:

Nobody is ancient. We are.....experienced. 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif

Level 999 Experience lol