How "old" is the wine? Forum demographics "poll" :)

Andrewbassg

How "old" is the wine? Forum demographics "poll" :)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. As per the title

On 8/29/2023 at 2:31 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

It's a role. It has to do with how we are trying to replicate something of the historical section on the forums.

It sounds as though you're hoping to carry over posts from old forum.  Good.  I'd like to see that.

You're right about Wikipedia: what is copyrightable there (basically everything) is released under the Creative Commons license.  Other than snippet quotes, though, there's no reason for anyone to copy extensively from the 'Pedia. 

Are you worried about straight copying of user posts from the old forum?  I would think that could be dealt with by coming to an agreement with Wargaming.  Then it's just a whole lot of grunt work.

Good fortune!

• Like 1

Well I fall into the 51-65 age group, just. Ask me next Easter and it would be 66 or more. Whilst I feel fairly certain the make up on the forum is biased towards the older gamer I feel that this is more because the older player base feel more comfortable with the Forum format and find Discord intimidating. I certainly do but I am getting used to it.

It would be interesting to see the age breakdown of those on Discord by comparison.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, surfury said:

Well I fall into the 51-65 age group, just. Ask me next Easter and it would be 66 or more. Whilst I feel fairly certain the make up on the forum is biased towards the older gamer I feel that this is more because the older player base feel more comfortable with the Forum format and find Discord intimidating. I certainly do but I am getting used to it.

It would be interesting to see the age breakdown of those on Discord by comparison.

Yeah, it would.

I'm old and crap (much older and crappier than Jingles) but I've been comfortable with Discord for years.  The issue isn't so much that Discord, as a glorified chat program, simply isn't suited for organized conversations that forums are good at.

Btw, WG said a couple of times that the average player is "over 40", which I assume means around mid-40s.  That doesn't seem too far out from our present sample.  And in the world of video games,must be remarkable.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Are you worried about straight copying of user posts from the old forum?  I would think that could be dealt with by coming to an agreement with Wargaming.  Then it's just a whole lot of grunt work.

Good fortune!

There was some discussion about that earlier, but it's not certain we can get a positive response from WG on that.

18 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

There was some discussion about that earlier, but it's not certain we can get a positive response from WG on that.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this old thread Smile_smile.gif.054af9b329387282775b9db3( yay, I've got to say this ). We have grown and perhaps people who joined lately are not shy to share their ....... hkhmm .... "wisdom", so to speak.

• Thanks 2

Wow, so many of you are sooooo OLD! Shall I check the local pharaohs' tombs to see if any of their mummies escaped? 

Then again, forums attract a more mature and seasoned crowd, like stink on cheese 😆 I like cheese though, so I like y'all by extension

Edited by That WoT Player
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kalishnikat said:

Wow..60% of the people here are over 40 and so many act like children. 

This game had a hand in me finally coming to terms with the idea that my elders didn't deserve more implicit respect than I gave other people my age and younger. :V

Edited by MnemonScarlet
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Kalishnikat said:

LITERALLY LMAOOOO 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalishnikat said:

HOLY, DUDE YOU KILLED THEM LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kalishnikat said:

Ya know.....its called "fun" 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrewbassg said:

53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gifYet, I'm still here  Smile_glasses.gif.ad42a1d7c6a3da5c4b37a0

Lol yeah, it's funny how right he is tho as well. Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Lol yeah, it's funny how right he is tho as wel

46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif

Its all fun. For this we are here 🙂 Obviously, fun have many shapes forms and ways.

And ages....A48E2DD6-327E-4E69-B995-CD0955AA6217.gif

• Like 1

Just now, Andrewbassg said:

46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif

Its all fun. For this we are here 🙂 Obviously, fun have many shapes forms and ways.

And ages....A48E2DD6-327E-4E69-B995-CD0955AA6217.gif

Some oldies like acting like kids ☠️

• Haha 1

Age is but a number, it doesn't tell how well or poorly one has dated.

I identify as exactly 1 of myself in age, and that's what I will believe in.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2023 at 9:48 PM, HogHammer said:

Oh, yes...always bacon on every poll.

As far as age, you forgot "young at heart" or perhaps even better - "don't act my age" 😂

Or actual age. And age acted after a few beers. 🍺

• Like 4

On 8/24/2023 at 7:19 AM, Frakagin said:

The fun thing is when people talk about "Old Man Jingles" and you realise that he's nearly 10 years younger than you...👴

Because of the white beard and the fact that he's ex Royal Navy, someone once asked him if he'd served in the Falklands. He had to tell them no, that wasn't possible; he was only twelve years old at the time.

I was shocked when I heard that, because I was eleven at the time. He looks at least 20 years older than me and the actual gap is only one year. Then again, the men in my direct line had a habit of not greying in any great hurry and I seem to be following in their footsteps - whenever I have a haircut, it goes almost entirely back to black.

I'm crossing my fingers that WOWS survives long enough for me to retire and spend at least a couple of days a week streaming my heart out. If not, well... I have other options.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Because of the white beard and the fact that he's ex Royal Navy, someone once asked him if he'd served in the Falklands. He had to tell them no, that wasn't possible; he was only twelve years old at the time.

I was shocked when I heard that, because I was eleven at the time. He looks at least 20 years older than me and the actual gap is only one year. Then again, the men in my direct line had a habit of not greying in any great hurry and I seem to be following in their footsteps - whenever I have a haircut, it goes almost entirely back to black.

I'm crossing my fingers that WOWS survives long enough for me to retire and spend at least a couple of days a week streaming my heart out. If not, well... I have other options.

I wonder why we don't have an "I'm so old" folder where we can put our own I'm so old that......

Here I'll start it: 

"I'm so old, I watched the "Ask not" speech live, with three generations of my family sitting there watching a black and white TV....."

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Asym said:

I wonder why we don't have an "I'm so old" folder where we can put our own I'm so old that......

I'm so old I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, even though I didn't know what it was about. My Favorite Martian was more my speed.

• Like 2

I'm so old I

Watched Sputnik I pass overhead; 
Listened to the Kennedy/Nixon debates on TV and thought Nixon had the best of it; 
Attended the first (and last) Annual Denver Pop Festival (shortly before Woodstock);
Watched raptly with my brothers and 7 or 8 cousins as Man stepped onto Luna;
Got a job programming before there were even CS courses;
Forgot (for good reason) most of the 70s.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1