Ruggiero di Lauria or Mecklenburg?

BigHeadShrimp

I am getting ready to choose my next steel ship. I already have Bourgogne and Stalingrad in the port. The ships that I am interested in are Mecklenburg, Ruggiero di Lauria and Gato. However, with the coming changes to sub and CV, Gato will have to wait until the dust settles. The two ships in contention are therefore Mecklenburg and Ruggiero di Lauria. I would like your opinion on these 2 ships, especially from those who have both ships in their ports. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Both are primarily long range ships with accurate guns. Both are decent, but I’d pick Lauria first.

Mecklenburg is sort of what you’d expect if you took Agir and upscaled it into a battleship. 16 305mm guns (with painfully bad firing angles), typical German HE, and good accuracy. You’ve got secondaries and torps that can allow you to brawl when needed, and typical German armor, but you aren’t as good at brawling as Schlieffen or GK (lower health, and thinner armor protection). The German BB for people that like the German cruiser playstyle, more or less. 

Lauria is kind of the opposite of the tech tree BBs. Rather than lots of smaller caliber guns with poor accuracy and long reload, you have large and very accurate guns (basically the same accuracy as Thunderer) but fewer of them. SAP and AP like the tech tree, both of which overmatch 30mm plating, and your AP is short fuse like St. Vincent (so good luck to any cruiser you run into). Fast and stealthy, but not particularly great agility, low health, and an odd citadel shape that will occasionally eat a random cit at an odd angle that you’d think should have been a bounce. No smoke, but you get a repair with better citadel heal. Typically terrible AA like any other Italian ship. You use your speed and stealth to get onto a flank, and then you force crossfires and poke anything you want, especially if it’s a broadside cruiser. You don’t want to get close, but you can’t get too far away because of your shorter range. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
four quads is 16 guns, midnight, not 12…
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigHeadShrimp said:

I am getting ready to choose my next steel ship. I already have Bourgogne and Stalingrad in the port. The ships that I am interested in are Mecklenburg, Ruggiero di Lauria and Gato. However, with the coming changes to sub and CV, Gato will have to wait until the dust settles. The two ships in contention are therefore Mecklenburg and Ruggiero di Lauria. I would like your opinion on these 2 ships, especially from those who have both ships in their ports. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Basic TLDR:

Mecklenburg is kind of eh, not really worth the steel but it can be fun if you want another Bourgogne type low calibre BB to play. I'd rate it 5/10 get it after all the other choices.

Lauria is a good ship with Thunderer type gun statistics and access to SAP instead of HE, the SAP slaps great and is very good. It's a much better choice than Mecklenburg 8/10 on the scales I just made up right now. 

Gato is also good, if you want to play SS then go ahead and get it. Otherwise I can't comment much on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I have the Mecklenburg and I love the playstyle. You can have a secondary build while having the accurate low caliber guns. Kind of a T10 Scharnie. I got Laura today, and had one match with her immediately facing an elite division with a [RAIN] guy. Fortunately we had two Lauras on our team. Man, we melted cruisers, including Napoli. I'd say get Laura over Meck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I have the Mecklenburg and I love the playstyle. You can have a secondary build while having the accurate low caliber guns. Kind of a T10 Scharnie. I got Laura today, and had one match with her immediately facing an elite division with a [RAIN] guy. Fortunately we had two Lauras on our team. Man, we melted cruisers, including Napoli. I'd say get Laura over Meck.

BTW, I ironically told the red team at the start that it's nice to face an elite division vs. two Lauras. Guess what, the [RAIN] guy was afraid... get the Laura.

Edited by Ocsimano18
  • Like 2

Both Mecklenburg and Di Lauria are worth the steel IMHO, but each of the them is demanding a completely different playstyle as @Ocsimano18 stated correctly above. I would agree on that Di Lauria might have more battle impact due to her main caliber guns. 

Edited by OT2_2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Mecklenburg is sort of what you’d expect if you took Agir and upscaled it into a battleship. 12 305mm guns (with painfully bad firing angles)

Actually, Meck has 16 guns. 

• Like 2

I am going to post a contrarian response to many previous responses regarding the Lauria.  The SAP does very consistent damage, but not very much damage.  I will quickly mention that I play mostly co-op, so my experience has no relevance to other modes.  As a co-op player, I can almost guarantee 50K to 60K damage per match - but no more.  It very well could be that I have not figured out Lauria's strengths and am not playing it correctly, but so far, the ship has been a minor disappointment. 

Edited by PrairiePlayer
typo
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I am going to post a contrarian response to many previous responses regarding the Lauria.  The SAP does very consistent damage, but not very much damage.  I will quickly mention that I play mostly co-op, so my experience has no relevance to other modes.  As a co-op player, I can almost guarantee 50K to 60K damage per match - but no more.  It very well could be that I have not figured out Lauria's strengths and am not playing it correctly, but so far, the ship has been a minor disappointment. 

As another co-op main, I'm taking this on board in a big way. I think before I get the Lauria, I'm going to wait until we know more about the Sicilia - including what currency it is for. (My wishlist is currently Z-42 vs Mecklenburg.)

I need to add that I have been experimenting with AP only matches with the Lauria with much, much better results.  I just finished a 163K damage match using AP.  The 457mm main guns hit very hard and can punish any opponent.  I have reserved SAP for any destroyers than need attention.  Overall, AP works out better for me.  

• Thanks 1

The Meck is the more unique and funner ship. Lauria is just a less capable Thunderer with SAP instead of HE. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Scrubby_McScrub said:

The Meck is the more unique and funner ship. Lauria is just a less capable Thunderer with SAP instead of HE. 

I’ve seen some players using her as a sniper. She’s rather a flanker , a bit similar to Incomparable. I found that the armor is also double faced. Quite strong when angled correctly. Also, you’re supposed be on the move and wiggle with to be able to use all 8 guns, and to angle against incoming shots. Staying stationary and sniping is sub optimal. She is no Thunderer.

Edited by Ocsimano18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clyde on YouTube just did a steel ship review on his channel about a week ago.  Rather long, so FF to the boats you are interested in purchasing. 

Lauria is the more powerful ship, but Meck probably more fun to play.  With 16 guns, good reload, and good accuracy it's a fun ship to play on towards the back and just keep on clicking....  Does that help you win?  Probably not... but it's more fun than your average T10 BB.

Lauria on the other hand is a hard counter to cruisers.... almost any cruiser except maybe a nose on Moskva,Petro, or Napoli.

IMO it's toxic addition in that cruisers don't have a lot of counter play except to play conservatively.... because that's what the player base was asking for, right?

Thunderer is still better but it's also one of the best BB's for randoms.

On 12/17/2023 at 4:07 AM, BigHeadShrimp said:

Dont have either so not really qualified, but what I can say is that CC/Streamer Trenlass says Mecklenburg being his favorite BB in the entire game. So if I was you I would probably look at some of his game to see the potential of the ship.

Dont think there is so much videos on the other yet.

My 4th match with the Laura, 2600+ base XP + kraken:
LauraKraken1.thumb.jpg.2819c18005613a1bd524249eddd9d4a6.jpgLauraKraken2.thumb.jpg.3cd4e7e8de285ed7537d800fc436f746.jpgLauraKraken3.thumb.jpg.fc91df58888c338d438d92c814d040c3.jpg

PS: The red Kitakami player was a gigachad, over 35000 battles and around 62.5% random win-rate. He has 49% WR and 63 battles with Kitakami. Don't get that ship...

Edited by Ocsimano18
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2023 at 4:07 AM, BigHeadShrimp said:

Mecklinburg is a solid clan battles ship: it burns down Russian cruisers at long range, and can "do work" in a scrum. Saw it a lot more when the 18"+ guns were restricted so folks couldn't just choose their "overmatch BB of the day" to punish cruisers. The good players were very good (14" guns aren't tiny) but the bad players were VERY bad (don't TRY to get in secondary and torp range). My only complaint with Mecklinburg is lack of Hydro (The other T10 German BB's all have it).