AA builds vs CV's in game

mashed68

I recently decided I was going to grind the dutch cruiser line, and build them for AA. Since making that choice, my number of games [playing these cruisers] without a CV has gone up 100-200% at least. And the games where there are cv's, they avoid me to strike literally anyone else. Anyone else try AA builds and notice the same? Might do the same with my Kansas and Vermont now too, because good god do I hate cv's in this game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mashed68 said:

I recently decided I was going to grind the dutch cruiser line, and build them for AA. Since making that choice, my number of games [playing these cruisers] without a CV has gone up 100-200% at least. And the games where there are cv's, they avoid me to strike literally anyone else. Anyone else try AA builds and notice the same? Might do the same with my Kansas and Vermont now too, because good god do I hate cv's in this game. 

It's common knowledge. Building for AA means you won't see many CVs in the MM.

Did you actually think MM was random? It's not.

Enemy CV captains know that Dutch cruisers have good AA and actively avoid them. That's the enemy being skilled.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, mashed68 said:

I used to run AA build Nevsky back when I thought it was great, for around 80 battles I didn't notice anything unique at all relating to not having a CV or not. On another note Dutch AA especially when built is quite nice imo and worth putting a couple captain points into, mainly because the captain perks also buff the airstrike planes.

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

6 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Did you actually think MM was random? It's not.

Here, we can tell the truth unlike WoWS Forum where WG squashed anyone who spoke the truth ... I wonder whatever happened to Colonel Pete?

• Haha 4

The odds are that you will see a CV in maybe one out of four or five games. The odds in that game of the CV concentrating exclusively on you will be about one in ten or maybe one in five if in a the rare two-CV match where the CVs actually coordinate with each other. Contrary to what a lot of people say, AA is actually pretty good against most CV players without any enhancements. Sure, you will occasionally run across a CV unicum that will get three or four kills and come in at the top of the team but this is rare. A really player in any other ship type is going to do the same. If you want to spec for something that will help you against CVs, take the enhancements that allow you to see torpedoes farther out and dodge them faster because torpedoes are going to be the things that are likely to really damage you, unless you position your cruiser crosswise to a battleship, that is.  Also, as above. When I'm playing a CV I tend to stay away from potentially good AA ships if I can.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The odds are that you will see a CV in maybe one out of four or five games.

LOL. what mode are you playing? Reworked CVs are a cancer, imo, infesting, at least, 40% of the battles - same as Flubs. I vote for WoWS before the CV rework wreck.

• Sad 1

If you intend to play an AA build, you need to take active steps with your positioning to force CVs to strike you or go through you. You basically need to play contrary to every other build, you want the CV to focus you!!!... else you just spend points and resources on a fly repelent. 

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Here, we can tell the truth unlike WoWS Forum where WG squashed anyone who spoke the truth ... I wonder whatever happened to Colonel Pete?

I think he calls himself now "Captain Cornflakes" and is active on Discord EU + Germany. Honestly, I don't miss him at all. He was nothing but pain in the butt. 

Edited by OT2_2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Aethervox said:

For God Sake! Shhhhhhhhhh!! What you name, you call it!!!

Edited by Latouche_Treville
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mashed68 said:

I remember @ArIskandir did play Dutch Cruisers and mentioned they're good for "trolling" CV's.
He's featured some of his games on his youtube channel.  https://www.youtube.com/@ariskandirr.8606/videos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as I know most "AA cruisers" has been nerfed alongside AA in general, so for me investing in these skills would be a waste of time.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

As far as I know most "AA cruisers" has been nerfed alongside AA in general, so for me investing in these skills would be a waste of time.

AA skills sinergize perfectly with Dutch CAs, so there's no reason to not take them. Some other cruiser lines like the RN CLs don't have any other clear and better choice so they can invest in AA without sacrifying anything relevant. 

For BBs and DDs they are indeed a waste tho some DD can be really nasty when built for AA, as an interesting playstyle variation, it might be worth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/17/2023 at 5:31 AM, Aethervox said:

LOL. what mode are you playing? Reworked CVs are a cancer, imo, infesting, at least, 40% of the battles - same as Flubs. I vote for WoWS before the CV rework wreck.

NA sure sounds fun. Try 9/10 games has carrier and sub.

I often take the 2-point AA skill on battleships now since there's so many different types of planes flying around, buffing your consumables reload. I'm not decided on if it's good, but it's just 2 points and not all bb have glacial turret rotation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itwastuesday said:

I often take the 2-point AA skill on battleships now since there's so many different types of planes flying around, buffing your consumables reload. I'm not decided on if it's good, but it's just 2 points and not all bb have glacial turret rotation.

I still don’t run any of the AA skills on BB builds. Even in games with multiple CVs it’s hard to justify in place of more generally applicable skills to boost survivability. It also doesn’t help that the 2pt tier is also fairly well-populated with strong skills to choose from.

I do slot the cruiser 2-pt skill on a lot of my builds, however, especially since I forgo DFAA for Hydro in the vast majority of cases where the choice is presented. The faster reload on ASW airstrikes is also a nice perk.

9 minutes ago, mashed68 said:

I'm gonna build AA on everything if it means MM will give me less CV games. 

It won't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

"Therefore, along with the introduction of new mechanics, we will be making balance changes to all surface ships and aircraft carriers in the game to preserve their core gameplay features, while preventing them from being over- or under-performing in battle."    WG

This means, whatever AA ship you have now, expect it's AA to be nerfed.     WeeGee needs to sell new "good" AA ships after all.

Wonder if we'll get another free commander reset period...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

...and yet, it does.

😉

Confirmation bias is a thing... 

Meanwhile, the numbers show no conspiracy...

image.thumb.png.2dfdb18bee2addbb82b70bb7cb4239fe.png

Two of my T9 CAs with more or less the same number of battles, one with AA build, the other not... 

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Confirmation bias is a thing... 

Meanwhile, the numbers show no conspiracy...

image.thumb.png.2dfdb18bee2addbb82b70bb7cb4239fe.png

Two of my T9 CAs with more or less the same number of battles, one with AA build, the other not... 

That data could be from two ships without AA builds at all...

Plus, its a tiny sample.

It is not at all conclusive to debunk the idea raised by other folks that AA build ships are preferentially placed in MM without CVs.

Now, that said, please pay attention to the emoji I used in my last post...

I'm really not interested in a deep conversation about this...unless we set up an indepth data collection to demonstrate exactly how things work.

This is clearly not the thread for that kind of discussion and work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Now, that said, please pay attention to the emoji I used in my last post...

Yeah I did, but I was kinda bored  so went on anyway 😛

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

"Therefore, along with the introduction of new mechanics, we will be making balance changes to all surface ships and aircraft carriers in the game to preserve their core gameplay features, while preventing them from being over- or under-performing in battle."    WG

This means, whatever AA ship you have now, expect it's AA to be nerfed.     WeeGee needs to sell new "good" AA ships after all.

Wonder if we'll get another free commander reset period...

This line scares me half to death. And im not sure AA can get more nerfed than it already is!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

This line scares me half to death. And im not sure AA can get more nerfed than it already is!

It should scare WG to death too...but apparently not. Denial is a hell of a drug.