Asymmetric Battles: Thoughts and Observations

Frostbow

19 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

In general for Asym, avoid the center position unless you're in a Schliefflen or Napoli or subs I guess.

Win the side flanks and sweep across

Don't be too aggressive or too passive, you need to make decisions quickly depending on the caps and points disadvantage

For standard battles in asym, get to the side flanks to punish bots moving into the cap, but be wary of DDs sliding in as they won't fire at you until you're practically entering their detection

Torp boats also work well mid. It can weaken the mid bots while also distracting them so they dont broadside salvo your teammates on the flanks.

shot-23.12.16_17.39.31-0343.jpg

shot-23.12.16_17.43.37-0094.jpg

7 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Though imo it is certainly worth it, especially for grinding Tier VIII and IX BBs. I got most of the flakes brushed off this way.

Yep.

Finished  the  Schlieffen line on both my accounts and on my way to finish the IJN lighties.....

jhj4xlZ.png

7 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I like "Asymetrical Battles"... I always did... but for the entry Tier - Tier VI  - it is very hard struggle... especially when in, for example, DD... you simply can't carry the team (of bad player) with that... and, lets face it, most players are unfortunately bad... 😔

Yeah, lower tiers can be a real challenge,regardless of class,  mainly because of lack of heals and experience on behalf of teammates 

6 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Win the side flanks and sweep across.

Yep.

6 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

....but be wary of DDs sliding in as they won't fire at you until you're practically entering their detection

Bots generally don't fire until they are spotted themselves.

Welcome to the forums. 46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif

7 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Sometimes odd things do happen, like a DD companion just abandoning me in a BB alone at cap C, to head off to another cap, with 4-5 DDs on the enemy team as well as CLs and BBs. These "abandoning" tactics usually end predictably...

If I spawn mid,  usually look around, and choose the weaker flank.

• Like 3

This time we didn't leave B -cap, and instead of only defending our base we pushed. Of course over the flanks against T IX opponents (due to a super ship), which made the battle a little bit more challenging and exiting. I did use my proven hybrid build on the "Preussen" with "only" 11 km range on the secondaries, which is my preferred Random - setup. There were no heals left and the same with HP. And that despite having Luetjens at the helm. 

I agree on that those "Asyms" of TVI are most challenging especially with light units only. Makes you often almost cry, or provides highest levels of pleasure when one plays with competitive team mates. 

Skjermbilde 2023-12-17 105631.png

Skjermbilde 2023-12-17 105653.png

Skjermbilde 2023-12-17 105737.png

Edited by OT2_2
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, OT2_2 said:

I agree on that those "Asyms" of TVI are most challenging especially with light units only.

Bots at that tier have very good accuracy. And with low tier cruisers having no repair party, it is indeed challenging. But then, it is a nice challenge to begin with. 🙂

4 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

Finished  the  Schlieffen line on both my accounts and on my way to finish the IJN lighties.....

Nice. After I finish Tier VII snowflakes, I'll reset my favorite cruiser line and grind to Tier X via Asymmetric. 🙂

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If Asymmetric Battles mode helps to retain players in the player-base, I imagine it will become a permanent addition to the game.

I don't see a problem with having Co-op and Asymmetric and random battles and Scenario Operations and the "modes du patch" related to calendar events in-game.

I am seeing it from that perspective. If Asymmetric Battles retain players, all the more that it should be made a permanent mode to the game.

12 hours ago, Asym said:

Why play Randoms when a PVE mode is less toxic; pays just about the same thing; we never see a stomp; and, it counts at 100% whereas Operations get cut in half...!

And, because that ^^^^ is true, our host most likely will remove them.....   The last thing they want is anything that lessens PVP numbers...

I really do not think Asymmetric Battles will result to a decrease in PVP numbers. Variety is good, and the market that the game is catering to is not purely or mostly for PVP. 

If Wargaming is concerned about less and less PVP battles, then they should push through with those changes they recently announced about CV spotting and submarine shotgun.

12 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

Impressive 500k dmg 2k BXP game @Frostbow. I havent seen anyone get 2k BXP yet in any of my games, suppose it requires your team to somewhat fail.

Thank you.

I thought it would be an easy walk in the park; I did not expect I will have to carry that team. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

This is why I don't go anywhere near Asymmetric, especially at a time when every potato and his dog wants to be suicide-carried through the snow, so to speak.

There will always be instances where we see players deliberately yolo and have their ships sunk as quick as possible, whether in PVP or in PVE, and whether or not there are snow flakes to be earned. I can tell you about that Twitch streamer who sailed his Fletcher straight into a Hindenburg, Vermont, and 2 other enemy ships, all the while complaining live on stream that his team mates were not fighting (which was funny, he scored very low).

But therein lies the opportunity to skillfully carry the team, to get even more Base XP, and lead the team to victory. At the end of the day, what we are fighting against in Asymmetric Battles are merely bots, bots whose AI have been adjusted to be much easier to fight. And while Co-op is also about fighting against bots, the level of difficulty along with meager Base XP one can usually get is such an appallingly unproductive use of play time. For roughly the same amount of time in Asymmetric, one can get more Base XP than in Co-op. Even in a defeat, the Base XP can be higher, provided some decent play was made, compared to a victory in Co-op.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

There will always be instances where we see players deliberately yolo and have their ships sunk as quick as possible, whether in PVP or in PVE, and whether or not there are snow flakes to be earned. I can tell you about that Twitch streamer who sailed his Fletcher straight into a Hindenburg, Vermont, and 2 other enemy ships, all the while complaining live on stream that his team mates were not fighting (which was funny, he scored very low).

But therein lies the opportunity to skillfully carry the team, to get even more Base XP, and lead the team to victory. At the end of the day, what we are fighting against in Asymmetric Battles are merely bots, bots whose AI have been adjusted to be much easier to fight. And while Co-op is also about fighting against bots, the level of difficulty along with meager Base XP one can usually get is such an appallingly unproductive use of play time. For roughly the same amount of time in Asymmetric, one can get more Base XP than in Co-op. Even in a defeat, the Base XP can be higher, provided some decent play was made, compared to a victory in Co-op.

Agree fully. Also the pay is such that running boosters in f.e. credits is a viable option in Asymmetric. OK you do not score as in randoms but as credits is less dependent on winning I have run green and sometimes blue boosters on high tier Asym. 

Coop are also less good in fights with same ship than Asym. As I run premium first win on high tier coops are quite OK to mass play on ships with permaboosters, which I have an almost all T10s (not subs + CVs) and many T8 and 9s 

Edited by Gnirf
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gnirf said:

Agree fully. Also the pay is such that running boosters in f.e. credits is a viable option in Asymmetric. OK you do not score as in randoms but as credits is less dependent on winning I have run green and sometimes blue boosters on high tier Asym. 

18 hours ago, mashed68 said:

German BC's are almost too easy in this mode

And it's more difficult for Massachusetts then ... ?!

Edited by OT2_2
  • Haha 1

The Scharnhorst '43 has been a thoroughly fun battleship to bring to Asymmetric Battles. And aside from being a fun ship to play, it is also free. Can't get any better than that. Thanks WG!

shot-23_12.17_18_44.53-0237.thumb.jpg.bb6463d603fddd7bc622310563f86834.jpg

shot-23_12.17_18_44.57-0170.thumb.jpg.71143700476072e81dd64bc1d9dce459.jpg

shot-23_12.17_23_21.35-0586.thumb.jpg.222996cfb6a786e804a3770a0bf67817.jpg

shot-23_12.17_23_21.33-0587.thumb.jpg.cf3d8450605e6dd4029eabd0781ca052.jpg

shot-23_12.16_17_39.04-0643.thumb.jpg.c16de8fac0b8bc88afd7156646b00640.jpg

shot-23_12.16_17_39.08-0226.thumb.jpg.d82b7aded26556342864b2a2f651ec01.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frostbow said:

And aside from being a fun ship to play, it is also free.

Except it wasn't actually free.

It was cheap.

😄

4 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Except it wasn't actually free.

It was cheap.

😄

Well you can call it yourself as cheap, but it still is free. LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

Well you can call it yourself as cheap, but it still is free. LOL

Time isn't free...

55 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Time isn't free...

Very interesting viewpoint you have.

In one of your very recent posts (see link below), you say you are "free to play". Yet to play World of Warships is to spend time, therefore, you already contradict yourself. In fact, each time you launch the game you are already spending time. Each time you look at your Port, you are already spending time. Each time you open containers, you are already spending time. Each time you equip your precious CVs, you are already spending time.

Even the mere act of posting online, telling people that you are "free to play" already cost you time. 😄

What do we have here? You claim you are "free to play", but then again, as you said...

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Time isn't free...

So would you like to stop playing World of Warships because "time isn't free" and you are "free to play"? There's no time to be spent if you don't play World of Warships. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

Very interesting viewpoint you have.

In one of your very recent posts (see link below), you say you are "free to play". Yet to play World of Warships is to spend time, therefore, you already contradict yourself. In fact, each time you launch the game you are already spending time. Each time you look at your Port, you are already spending time. Each time you open containers, you are already spending time. Each time you equip your precious CVs, you are already spending time.

Even the mere act of posting online, telling people that you are "free to play" already cost you time. 😄

What do we have here? You claim you are "free to play", but then again, as you said...

So would you like to stop playing World of Warships because "time isn't free" and you are "free to play"? There's no time to be spent if you don't play World of Warships. 😄

Free2play is a shortening of the phrase free2play/pay2win.

I am not using the phrase as free.to.play..

But as a singular concept 'free2play', which describes a business model and a strategy for playing these games without spending real money.

In this business model, the gaming companies intentionally create virtual currencies to try to obfuscate the fact that the value proposition is either pay real money or pay time...but both incur a cost to the player.

Free2play players are explicitly saying they are paying with time (that has value).

Therefore, it is insulting to claim that things are free when they actually cost time that has value....which is the value proposition many players bring to the game.

Now, you can demand all the free2play players leave because you don't understand the business model....but I bet WG would be very unhappy to find a large portion of the playerbase disappearing overnight...to say nothing of the opinion of the players who pay...and suddenly find that they cannot get matches anymore.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

Have only played one game so far but I-56 can carry the game to victory. Shotgunning Deluxe on poor bots.

• Like 1

(Left) Alone on the right flank I made good use of Belfast, which I had received just before out of a mega crate. 😄 Belfast VII was much more of a gift than Stord 43, which I got at the same time when reaching level 21 in the Christmas event. Belfast VII seems to be stronger than Belfast 43 although lacking torps and radar range. Btw, first battle ever for her. 

Skjermbilde 2023-12-21 100239.png

Skjermbilde 2023-12-21 100247.png

Skjermbilde 2023-12-21 100300.png

Edited by OT2_2
  • Like 1

Disappointed Asym not counting towards base XP in dockyard. 

Enjoyed clearing snowflakes and getting 2-3 rewards versus feeling grindy in coop.

• Like 3

PLayed one battle in tier 8 cruiser talin. Seemed like too much of a challenge for the reward.   Had a BB tank for most of the fight on my side, got as close as i dared.  At any point in time they could have switched targets to me and i would have been dead pretty quick.  Even with that not happening i came in down the near the bottom and fairly uninspiring rewards.    Yes this would be good for co-op players that want a harder challenge and better rewards but for me eh nah. If i want to fight bots, ops work better.

48 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

PLayed one battle in tier 8 cruiser talin. Seemed like too much of a challenge for the reward.   Had a BB tank for most of the fight on my side, got as close as i dared.  At any point in time they could have switched targets to me and i would have been dead pretty quick.  Even with that not happening i came in down the near the bottom and fairly uninspiring rewards.    Yes this would be good for co-op players that want a harder challenge and better rewards but for me eh nah. If i want to fight bots, ops work better.

For me, it's a good mode for CVs...as the fight lasts long enough to actual get your DOT mechanics working...and you can USUALLY find places to hide the hull.

It's also a good mode for battleships that excel fighting in close in against multiple ships.

German BCs absolutely wreck face in Asymmetric.

Got a fun Kraken today in my Ark Royal when the MM gave us a six DD enemy team.

🙂

• Like 3

Adatara ... finally! What a step forward from Yumihari the Japanese T VIII BC, which is mediocre in the best case. First battle ever in Asym with good result (A - hull). She handles nicely and reminds me of Kii. Can't say any better, because I'm strongly biased regarding Kii. 

Skjermbilde 2023-12-23 090116.png

Skjermbilde 2023-12-23 090122.png

Edited by OT2_2
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Asym bots are so dumb in the mid cap lol, they just sit there as I unleash my swarm

shot-23.12.23_00.18.44-0853.jpg

Yeah, I used my Salem last night to rack up my fire flags while bow tanking. Got 20+ fires at times and was finished after a few games. Switched to Black for "Defended / Captured / Assisted Cap" ribbons and have had nothing but "Standard Battles" since.

The game knows. 😞

3 minutes ago, xamdam said:

The game knows. 😞

Of course. It is a Gaming company with gambling mechanics. Nothing is actually random...it's all designed to specific monetization purpose.