(Yet another) Stupid Question... about flags

xamdam

So what do flags do? Not signals, but decorative flags. I've seen the "ability to mount 2 flags" thing in the past, have a ton of them in my inventory (that I cannot sell) and just got the "Flickering Sparkles Special Flag" for my 15th (free) battle pass "reward"... Was that just a "haha sucker, you should have paid for the premium battle pass and gotten Erich Bey" slap or does it do anything?

I've never been interested in cosmetic stuff other than historic "looking" camos. I've always had all the decorative and "special" camos turned off since I like to think I'm playing something resembling a warship sim (I know it's not). But these flags... any use or just extra junk I don't need?

The old consumable camos at least, while ugly as sin, gave me something and I could sell them if I didn't want / need them. These "Flags" though?

Please educate me.

• Like 2

The flags are purely decorative. There are flags that offer bonuses but they are only in the hands of Wargaming employees, CCs, testers, and those who bought the only one that was offered up to the player base (before my time). 

The ability to mount two flags is a reward, usually the prize for completing a Collection. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The flags are purely decorative. There are flags that offer bonuses but they are only in the hands of Wargaming employees, CCs, testers, and those who bought the only one that was offered up to the player base (before my time). 

The ability to mount two flags is a reward, usually the prize for completing a Collection. 

Thanks. So, as I thought, useless baggage and zero (to me) "reward value". 

Sigh.

45 pts needed to unlock stage 16. The "Big Santa" crate. lol

Any info on the ones that offer bonuses? My inventory dates back to closed beta so... maybe there's some moldy cloth down there that's been overlooked for years. lol

Looking at the Wiki, I don't see anything about any flag giving bonuses. Even the WG staff flag. Maybe the info isn't there but my CBT flag doesn't either (never thought it did) so, yep. Back in the basement they go.

Kinda sad they put that as a "reward" in the "battle pass" thing. Sadder than the useless camos in "Super Containers". Those, at least, can be sold.

11 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Any info on the ones that offer bonuses? My inventory dates back to closed beta so... maybe there's some moldy cloth down there that's been overlooked for years. lol

There used to be, though most are temporary (Eat Play Talk 2020, Ranked League, King of the Sea) and it is said that the Military Month Contributor flag's owners have already received baked-in personal economy bonuses for their accounts right after the economy bonuses simplification rework.

The lackluster rewards on one hand, on the other hand it needs only 1500 Base XP every day for 25 days (among the 35-days update patch) to claim all rewards. And the next Battle Pass is even worse that makes this paid track somewhat better in contrast.

In essence decorative flags' role is to please oneself. I choose ones that I feel appropriate for warships from various factions (like FNFL for all French ships), and WG staff may assume that most of the players would not object a new piece of New Year festive decoration. Though well... you are pleased by ignoring them as a whole and that's fine. Just personal perferences.

• Like 1

The only flag for the masses that used to have a bonus was the Military Month Contributor flag, which was given out once for an event.  WG changed that, and now anyone who had the MMC flag gets a full-time "for personal merits" bonus that is not dependent on mounting the flag (+5% credits, +5% ship XP, +10% Commander XP).

Here is the MMC flag (stars and stripes, but not Stars and Stripes):

shot-23.12.16_07.29.06-0941.jpg

Edited by desmo_2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

The only flag for the masses that used to have a bonus was the Military Month Contributor flag, which was given out once for an event.  WG changed that, and now anyone who had the MMC flag gets a full-time "for personal merits" bonus that is not dependent on mounting the flag (+5% credits, +5% ship XP, +10% Commander XP).

Here is the MMC flag (stars and stripes, but not Stars and Stripes):

shot-23.12.16_07.29.06-0941.jpg

Though that bonus is not stated on the Wiki entry.

Full exhaustive... or rather exhausting list to be found here.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flags/expanded

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

That is probably because the bonus is no longer attached to the flag.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xamdam said:

Looking at the Wiki, I don't see anything about any flag giving bonuses. Even the WG staff flag. Maybe the info isn't there but my CBT flag doesn't either (never thought it did) so, yep. Back in the basement they go.

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

That is probably because the bonus is no longer attached to the flag.

The flag article (linked by Karasu) is purely a list of all flags, and none of the flags themselves come with bonuses directly on them anymore. Instead, the account-wide economic boost is credited directly (depending on the flag and the number you have). The bonus is accompanied by certain flags, but the flags themselves don’t provide the bonus anymore.

A current list is available at the bottom of the economic bonuses article:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economic_Bonuses

It doesn’t list the MMC flag, for some reason. I’d wonder if it’s because that version of the MMC flag is permanently unavailable, and if WG ever decided to bring it back, it wouldn’t have the bonus. With the exception of the alpha tester flag, every one of those flags is currently obtainable if you’re a member of one of the volunteer programs or a KotS winner (with that one being temporary rather than “permanent”).

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, xamdam said:

So what do flags do? Not signals, but decorative flags. I've seen the "ability to mount 2 flags" thing in the past, have a ton of them in my inventory (that I cannot sell) and just got the "Flickering Sparkles Special Flag" for my 15th (free) battle pass "reward"... Was that just a "haha sucker, you should have paid for the premium battle pass and gotten Erich Bey" slap or does it do anything?

I've never been interested in cosmetic stuff other than historic "looking" camos. I've always had all the decorative and "special" camos turned off since I like to think I'm playing something resembling a warship sim (I know it's not). But these flags... any use or just extra junk I don't need?

The old consumable camos at least, while ugly as sin, gave me something and I could sell them if I didn't want / need them. These "Flags" though?

Please educate me.

They look pretty.
They are a "style choice" which can be made by a player.
They are sometimes "bragging rights hoisted to be displayed", examples being the flags which indicate that a player sank a "Pirate" during a Pirate Hunting event or sunk a "Pumpkin" ship during a "Pumpkin" smashing event in the past.
They are collectible items, of interest to some players.

They do whatever you choose them to do, eh?  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

They look pretty.
They are a "style choice" which can be made by a player.
They are sometimes "bragging rights hoisted to be displayed", examples being the flags which indicate that a player sank a "Pirate" during a Pirate Hunting event or sunk a "Pumpkin" ship during a "Pumpkin" smashing event in the past.
They are collectible items, of interest to some players.

They do whatever you choose them to do, eh?  🙂 

Indeed!

shot-23.12.16_19.39.23-0672.jpg

• Like 1

Some flags were once only obtainable by performing certain actions, like reaching the top of Ranked, being/sinking a "Corgi" or submitting an article to the forums for the Coo-of-Boom flag. Others depended on finishing certain events. Since hardly anyone looks at your ship, except perhaps to see if you are running any signals at all, which might indicate that you could be a better than completely "noob" player, like has been previously said, flags they are mostly for your own pleasure.

Myself, I always run this flag combo:

image.png.a9e1f63ad16a6fc6a551319f434b9228.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, xamdam said:

decorative flags

correct, all decorative

4 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

the MMC flag

4 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

exception of the alpha tester flag, every one of those flags is currently obtainable

4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

They look pretty

some look pretty & some look butt ugly and others meh

the alpha tester flag & the MMC flags used to have bonuses baked into them when flown - these, I believe, are now just 'permanent ship bonuses' of equivalent value.

it sure would be nice if WG allows each player to remove or sell anything they don't want in their 'Inventory' list - I mean, for some that list is getting awfully long!

2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Myself, I always run this flag combo:

image.png.a9e1f63ad16a6fc6a551319f434b9228.png

Pirates of the Caribbean Theme - Fingerstyle Guitar Cover

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a flag that fits nicely with my actual first name, that's why I'm putting it as standard on my vessels:

PCEE528_RankedFlag_7.png(It's called "Battle of Helgeå").

Also, it's cute. 😄

Regards, Nightowl

• Like 2

20 hours ago, xamdam said:

Please educate me.

Ok so besides some very rare occasions flags are just for visual purposes only. There were some flags before the rework that gave some bonuses but I am not sure if they retain them after the changes.