Hmm.....I wonder what that could be about....(EU stream)

Andrewbassg

55 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I'm not sure about the Jules Verne original, but I do remember it being the case in a film I enjoyed very much as a boy: The Amazing Captain Nemo.

Not just nuclear powered, but equipped with a laser cannon that could shoot down ICBMs. (Yes, from underwater. Whatever. I was a kid. It was fun.)

If I recall correctly, the book, and subsequent Disney movie, depicted a power-source contained in a room within the Nautilus which could be seen through an observation window installed in the door which lead to the power room. 
The source of power glowed, and the author hinted at what could have been nuclear power, or could have been a Star Trek matter/anti-matter reactor or something like the "Back to the Future" Mr. Fusion appliance.  🙂 
I think it was kept deliberately vague enough to allow for future discoveries in power technology to explain what Captain Nemo had actually created.  🙂 

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I'm not sure about the Jules Verne original, but I do remember it being the case in a film I enjoyed very much as a boy: The Amazing Captain Nemo.

Not just nuclear powered, but equipped with a laser cannon that could shoot down ICBMs. (Yes, from underwater. Whatever. I was a kid. It was fun.)

Though, according to this pdf document, the power source authored by Jules Verne in the book was actually batteries...

Despite a popular notion that Verne's Nautilus had some sort of futuristic power supply, such as atomic power, Verne based his technology on what was known in his day.   The power supply is chemical batteries.   Verne realized that the actual batteries of his day were far from adequate, as batteries remain today, but suggested they might be greatly improved.  Nemo says he uses “large and powerful” Bunsen batteries rather than Ruhmkorff batteries which are less powerful.  Nemo has improved the Bunsen battery by using elements of a sodium­zinc amalgam in place of zinc alone, which Nemo claims doubles the “electromotive force” of the batteries (what we call today the voltage).  Perhaps Verne was unaware of the explosive property of sodium in contact with water. Nemo extracts sodium from sea water on a remote island, where the process is fueled with sea coal.  The new sodium would recharge Verne's hypothetical batteries, which seem to last for months between charges. The electricity, generated in the forward part of the engine room, powers large electromagnets which set in motion   a   system   of   levers   and   gears   which   transmits   movement   to   the   propeller   shaft.     In   Verne's   day development of both batteries and electrical motors was primitive. Not until late in the 19th century did design of rotary electrical motors achieve their present level of high efficiency, due to the efforts of mathematically trained engineers such as Charles Steinmetz of General Electric.  Verne seems to have in mind a reciprocating engine, something like a classic steamship engine with vertical steam cylinders, where electromagnets fill the role of the cylinders. At that time, such a design seemed perfectly plausible.  As it turned out, rotary electrical motors are much better.

page 21 of 45
http://westernexplorers.us/Jules_Vernes_submarine_Nautilus.pdf

Edited to add a link to another possible explanation of the fictional Nautilus' power system.
https://www.vernianera.com/Nautilus/AllbyElectricity.html

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Though, according to this pdf document, the power source authored by Jules Verne in the book was actually batteries...

Edited to add a link to another possible explanation of the fictional Nautilus' power system.
https://www.vernianera.com/Nautilus/AllbyElectricity.html

Batteries were used to power submarines underwater propulsion all the way through to nuclear power.

Many modern submarines STILL use batteries.

The idea that battery powered subs are anachronistic to Verne's day or even today is just wrong.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Batteries were used to power submarines underwater propulsion all the way through to nuclear power.

Many modern submarines STILL use batteries.

The idea that battery powered subs are anachronistic to Verne's day or even today is just wrong.

The storage capacity of batteries has improved over the decades, but they still have limitations.
Hence the need for diesel/electric submarines to recharge their batteries periodically.

Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

The storage capacity of batteries has improved over the decades, but they still have limitations.
Hence the need for diesel/electric submarines to recharge their batteries periodically.

Even in the beginning, subs used gasoline or diesel engines to run on the surface. They used the battery power for underwater propulsion. Many modern diesel electric boats still use this principle.

The concept of recharging the batteries with the other engine was the innovation that enabled long range patrolling.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Well.......I'm.....kinda......SPEECHLESS!!! These ideas are actually...... VERY GOOD!!

Oh no...what are the ideas?

6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Oh no...what are the ideas?

Its...long. There will be a news/ devblog article detailing it Basically planes will have 2 modes, travelling and attacking. During travelling they wont be able to spot. At ALL.

There are also a LOT of other things/ideas  about AA about giving Cvs sec TRUE manual fire... A LOT

Also basically all CA;s will get plane based ASW and shotgun will have a look at...

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Its...long. There will be a news/ devblog article detailing it Basically planes will have 2 modes, travelling and attacking. During travelling they wont be able to spot. At ALL.

There are also a LOT of other things/ideas  about AA about giving Cvs sec TRUE manual fire... A LOT

Also basically all CA;s will get plane based ASW and shotgun will have a look at...

Return to vision control by DDs then...

Welp, be careful what you wish for...

15 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Return to vision control by DDs then...

Welp, be careful what you wish for...

As if somehow that was a problem...  for some mysterious reason matches without CVs develop without major inconvenience on vision control. 

• Like 2

Just now, ArIskandir said:

As if somehow that was a problem...  for some mysterious reason matches without CVs develop without major inconvenience on vision control. 

As if plane spotting presents major inconveniences in vision control...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

As if plane spotting presents major inconveniences in vision control...

Tbh, not a big deal for me... but it can be annoying for some ship types, and a lot of people will be glad about such a change. If it makes the population of the game grow, then its a nice change... heck I might even come back if CV play is made more challenging. 

• Like 1

Tbh, not a big deal for me... but it can be annoying for some ship types, and a lot of people will be glad about such a change. If it makes the population of the game grow, then its a nice change... heck I might even come back if CV play is made more challenging. 

I remember what it was like before CVs became common and air spotting was the meta...

...a lot of people were unhappy that the quality of your teams DDs was determinate of the match.

Like I said, be careful what we wish for...

I'm looking forward to actually reading what is being proposed.

3 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I remember what it was like before CVs became common and air spotting was the meta...

...a lot of people were unhappy that the quality of your teams DDs was determinate of the match.

Like I said, be careful what we wish for...

The alternative being the quality of your team's CV player determining the match to an even greater degree?

At least usually there are multiple DDs in the team and the burden is distributed among various players, you don't keep all your eggs in a single basket.

I'm also looking forward to reading the proposed changes. 

The alternative being the quality of your team's CV player determining the match to an even greater degree?

At least usually there are multiple DDs in the team and the burden is distributed among various players, you don't keep all your eggs in a single basket.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/general-news/upcoming-changes-to-aircraft-carriers-and-submarines/

• Thanks 1

"We are pleased to announce Ballistic Missile Submarines and Carriers featuring supersonic aircraft will be making their debut in World of Warships (and to prove we can still upstage anything Lesta does with their pale imitation of the real thing)!  We believe this will increase player appreciation for the historical context of our game and significantly reduce the time it takes to complete matches, improving the number of games both teams can play in a given timeframe.

"While we understand there will be those who find the introduction of these new lines to the game are not for them, we are also happy to announce we will also be introducing PT Boats as a nice alternative those players can devote themselves to instead.  As these units will also have a very low game survival expectancy, they will provide additional experiences in match play rate!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The upcoming CV changes look promising indeed! Limited spotting capabilities, limited picking on the same target, meaningful value in AA consumables.

Of interest is also that CV players will have some control of their secondary-type guns.

Nice!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Indeed. Basically robbing Peter to pay Paul...

Now to go read the changes...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Wow.  What a mess.

I wonder how they expect a CV to attack targets they can't spot unless they are already committed to an attack.  

The idea to give Cruisers the Sub Surveillance consumable while only improving Sub turning sounds pretty bad.  Being able to spot a Sub anywhere within 6-9km with area-effect weapons is already the death of most Subs, and I don't see being able to turn slightly better as being an adequate tradeoff, especially when the unit spotting is also the one able to air-drop on the Sub.

Like all changes, we will adapt, but these seem to me like the CV Rework Part Deux.

• Like 1

Please see the Proposed CV and Submarine Change Thread...

Will lock this thread since the WG stream has ended, and all comments regarding the proposed changes are in the link provided.

• HogHammer locked, unlocked and locked this topic