What would you Remove from the game, add to the game and ban from being ever added

kriegerfaust

2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Remove: Submarines as they are.

Add: Submarines with performance parameters as historical as other ship types.

Ban: Homing munitions, be they torpedoes or missiles.

1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Remove: submarines in their current implementation.

Add: submarines in a form that enhances the game, rather than bollixing it up.

Never add: guides missiles, and especially any form of gold ammo (I've been playing WOT a bit more lately for the Christmas stuff, and gold ammo really is a blight), possibly unless it was balanced in some way reminiscent of that in WOT Blitz i.e. you get greater pen, but at the cost of less damage (in most cases).

I like it, you two! Very good stuff!

spacer.png

• Like 3

Take a note of that Vought OS2U Kingfisher. Those spotter planes could carry two 100 lb bombs or two 325 lb depth charges. Ships carrying said aircraft in WOWS should be able to send their spotters on two or three bombing missions per match. There were were 61 recorded attacks on enemy submarines made by US Coast Guard Kingfishers alone in WWII.

OS2U-2_Kingfisher_in_flight_1942.jpg.23ad3c956e0de997d934eebef20a7311.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 6

Apart subs in their current meta (and the heresy it represents), there is one thing I'd like to restablish : friendly fire.

Maybe considering damage and credit penalties some would then have, they would learn the basics, in particular, not to torp ships from behind the allies...  Maybe...

Yes I known : "I have a dream..." 😒

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Silence_CN said:

Apart subs in their current meta (and the heresy it represents), there is one thing I'd like to restablish : friendly fire.

Maybe considering damage and credit penalties some would then have, they would learn the basics, in particular, not to torp ships from behind the allies...  Maybe...

Yes I known : "I have a dream..." 😒

Removing team damage really dumbed-down the game. I saw perhaps a half-dozen instances of intentional team-killing in six years of playing so griefing in this way was essentially a non issue. Sure, there might have been some heated discussions in chat when a player had to dodge or was plastered by a teammate's torps or shells but part of a warfare game should be learning to control in which direction you fire your ordinance and position yourself so that you are not in your teammates' fields of fire.

• Like 5

• Remove most rewards for losing, instead add it to rewards for winning the match. Passively punish players that throw matches.

• Give super light CLs some meaningful armour so they can actually compete.
  • Slightly nerf 457mm so they have more drawbacks.
  • Just better balancing of ships in general.

• Try to streamline/normalize certain values, to ease memorization.
    • Eg. Certain ships having different ballistics despite having exact same guns.
    • Eg. IJN's increasingly diverse torps.
    • Eg. Gearing's special midplate.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:
  •  
  • Ban/Never Add - Premium special ammo like WOT's gold ammo (could be nuclear shells for example in WOWS). Just no to that for this game.
  • Add - A ship Reserve in port so you can remove ships you don't play from your carousel without selling them or having to filter the display order. Ships on the Reserve List are still yours you just don't see them. Similar to the Captain Reserve.

Gold ammo is not a likely addition in this game, given that they went out of their way to remove gold flags and gold consumables. 

Ship reserve is interesting, and it feeds into the comment from @I_cant_Swim_ I've quoted below Vide infra.

12 hours ago, Musket22 said:

Ban from adding: Jet aircraft and any Missiles toting vehicles.

Jets are already here, in case you haven't noticed. See the supercarriers.

10 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

I'd like to have a better sorting system in port. Easiest would be to extend the "primary ship" ribbon to different colors, red, green, blue or so. That'd let me sort ships by usage scenario or usage frequency, for instance.

I'd also love an option to edit commander names.

Finally, an option to pre-mark modules and captain skills before I earn them, so I don't need to worry about selecting the right options when the time comes.

All good suggestions. The first two are on my wishlist. I would like to be able to tag, for example, Japanese cruisers AND British destroyers, for those missions which demand mixed ship types, without also tagging British cruisers and Japanese destroyers. "Add all displayed to current ribbon" would also be a nice touch.

I would also like a separate tier filter that hides Tier 1-4 ships for mission eligibility.

3 hours ago, Verytis said:
  • Remove most rewards for losing, instead add it to rewards for winning the match. Passively punish players that throw matches.

This will be fine until you have a session-long losing streak where you do huge damage and get high Base XP with red or blue boosters mounted, yet are repeatedly unable to drag suck teams across the finish line. At that point I can guarantee you will want to put your fist through your monitor. Be careful what you wish for.

My own three:

Remove from the game - nothing.

Add to the game - primitive beam-riding AAMs for which you have to keep the cursor on the target the whole time, and even then you stand a 50% chance of missing.  Imagine the slowest shells in the game - that's how fast they go. Range is about 9km. Reload time is 30 seconds and there are limitations on the speed at which the beam can be swung around. No anti-surface capability. That would enable us to add ships like HMAS Hobart once we have a Commonwealth DD line and USS Little Rock, currently a museum ship (possibly as a supership to Worcester). 

I would like to see an option for Tiers 1 to 4 to participate in dailies strictly in co-op, so that newer players who'd reached their 200 game mark but were still working on their lower tiers weren't getting farmed. Because WG knows as well as we do that the stat padders would go do that. 

Ban from the game - I said above that I consider gold ammo in WOWS unlikely, but I agree with Admiral Thunder in not wanting to see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Gold ammo is not a likely addition in this game, given that they went out of their way to remove gold flags and gold consumables. 

They also went out of their way making T10  consistently accesible even without Premium Time, only to undo it by adding T11. So never say never, you never know for sure 😛

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

They also went out of their way making T10  consistently accesible even without Premium Time, only to undo it by adding T11.

Superships were openly advertised as being a thing you use infrequently. Meanwhile, has T10 become any less accessible?

14 hours ago, Jakob Knight said:

It's difficult to seriously remove just one or two things because the game has involved with even the smallest thing being linked to how other things work.  Pull on one thread, and the entire tapestry falls apart or you end up with a hole in the game. 

Wait! If that description also fits the original game, what do you think would happen if you started pushing threads into that tapestry?

4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Removing team damage really dumbed-down the game. I saw perhaps a half-dozen instances of intentional team-killing in six years of playing so griefing in this way was essentially a non issue.

A small reminder, if I may. FF was removed prior to the mangled implementation of the subs.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Wait! If that description also fits the original game, what do you think would happen if you started pushing threads into that tapestry?

You obviously end up with a larger tapestry that covers more than what you started out with and can be even grander.  Or just some space for the weaver to include their signature when they feel the tapestry is done and they are ready to put it away and start something new.

5 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

You obviously end up with a larger tapestry that covers more than what you started out with and can be even grander.  Or just some space for the weaver to include their signature when they feel the tapestry is done and they are ready to put it away and start something new.

An optimist, I see...

• Haha 1

remove:

reworked cv's

add:

rts cv's

ban:

revival of reworked cv's and any rockets

Edited by MrWastee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Superships were openly advertised as being a thing you use infrequently. Meanwhile, has T10 become any less accessible?

Back in 2016-2017 T10 was equivalent to Superships of today, you couldn't play it consistently without sinking money into the game (as PT or perma camo). Now you can play as F2P any T10 resource freemiun ship and get profits. 

14 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:
  • Remove - Submarines as implemented with all their BS mechanics + protections and especially homing torps. 
  • Ban/Never Add - Premium special ammo like WOT's gold ammo (could be nuclear shells for example in WOWS). Just no to that for this game.
  • Add - A ship Reserve in port so you can remove ships you don't play from your carousel without selling them or having to filter the display order. Ships on the Reserve List are still yours you just don't see them. Similar to the Captain Reserve.

Yes, 100% what I think is a very good set of recommendations. 

The "Golden" concept I talked about in the old forum and created a list of "Golden", for sale, ideas:

• the Golden BB  -  proximity AA Ammunition(s)
  • the Golden Eye - adds 40% of range to any radar and 25% longer periods of use and 50% shorter cool downs
  • the Golden Wrench - a super heal
  • the Golden Wave - a non-spotable torpedo...
  • the Golden Touch - an aiming and accuracy tool that make several volleys dispersion be reduced my 90%.
  • the Golden Oldie - a special mode that allows a two tier lower ship enhanced capabilities
  • the Silence is Golden mode - ah, an Anti-Radar device that utilizes Chaff and burst reflection transmitters.
  • the Golden Parachute - those Dutch ships with air strikes just go super dangerous - think CBU's....
  • the Golden Rule - ah, here's a subtle enhancement - it allows you to bypass a game rule.  i.e. if you can't take a 4th Cruiser, this rule allows you to do exactly that !
  • the Golden Silence - even though we wouldn't have subs in the game, if we did........this would make them impossible to track or even find
  • and my favorite, the Golden Mean.......  Which, when activated, balances the meta to your ship's capabilities by inhibiting all other ships capabilities (like Dazzle....)

These are just a few that were discussed a few years ago now.  Add your own to this list because, if our host wants to make a fortune,

^^^^^   this is the way     ^^^^^

Edited by Asym
  • Confused 2

I'd remove the Arms Race nonsense and bring back Epicenter.

Oh, and I'd like to be able to use my Tachibana to wreak havoc on tier X. 😁

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

i would remove  the homing capability from sub's and make them learn an actual skill .

i would include a penalty system to players who like to hide behind islands  or just sit at the back all the time 

i would also remove the ability for new players to aquire higher tire ships so easily  until they have played a minimum of 500 random battles or 1,000 co-op battles so they cant get the experience  first 

Early Submarine Testing didn't have homing-torpedoes (if I recall correctly).
Submarines could see each other underwater within a couple of km. 
So, once upon a time, there were some epic submarine dogfights underwater with dumbfired torpedoes at point-blank ranges.
WG/WOWs made changes and introduced homing torpedoes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Early Submarine Testing didn't have homing-torpedoes (if I recall correctly).
Submarines could see each other underwater within a couple of km. 
So, once upon a time, there were some epic submarine dogfights underwater with dumbfired torpedoes at point-blank ranges.
WG/WOWs made changes and introduced homing torpedoes.

I suspect that concept had two fatal flaws. 1) it was fun, and 2) it didn't make WG enough money.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Asym said:

Yes, 100% what I think is a very good set of recommendations. 

The "Golden" concept I talked about in the old forum and created a list of "Golden", for sale, ideas:

• the Golden BB  -  proximity AA Ammunition(s)
  • the Golden Eye - adds 40% of range to any radar and 25% longer periods of use and 50% shorter cool downs
  • the Golden Wrench - a super heal
  • the Golden Wave - a non-spotable torpedo...
  • the Golden Touch - an aiming and accuracy tool that make several volleys dispersion be reduced my 90%.
  • the Golden Oldie - a special mode that allows a two tier lower ship enhanced capabilities
  • the Silence is Golden mode - ah, an Anti-Radar device that utilizes Chaff and burst reflection transmitters.
  • the Golden Parachute - those Dutch ships with air strikes just go super dangerous - think CBU's....
  • the Golden Rule - ah, here's a subtle enhancement - it allows you to bypass a game rule.  i.e. if you can't take a 4th Cruiser, this rule allows you to do exactly that !
  • the Golden Silence - even though we wouldn't have subs in the game, if we did........this would make them impossible to track or even find
  • and my favorite, the Golden Mean.......  Which, when activated, balances the meta to your ship's capabilities by inhibiting all other ships capabilities (like Dazzle....)

These are just a few that were discussed a few years ago now.  Add your own to this list because, if our host wants to make a fortune,

^^^^^   this is the way     ^^^^^

The Golden Member - It's solid gold, He's Dutch and has the Midas touch, He's superbad but doesn't care cuz he has a golden pad... pay to improve your WR!!! you get high quality minions on your team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Jakob Knight said:

It's difficult to seriously remove just one or two things because the game has involved with even the smallest thing being linked to how other things work.  Pull on one thread, and the entire tapestry falls apart or you end up with a hole in the game.  What I'd do is a massive reengineering of the game that would require far too much work and time for WG to even consider in the current conditions, but would redesign CVs and Subs along lines closer to more core fundamentals and less on unique mechanics, along with the related systems on other types of units.

The only thing I would feel good about banning would be any non-cosmetic mods.  This isn't a single-person game where mods that affect gameplay only affect the player themselves and are harmless to others.  I firmly believe mods that affect how a player makes decisions, plays their ships, and in any way alters the playing field towards other players is inherently unfair to other players and deviates from the core concept that players must compete through their own abilities and limitations.  

Otherwise, any changes would have to be scrutinized carefully to find out what collateral changes would have to be made to maintain the game in a good state and not cause even more problems than they solve.

The idea of the thread is what would you do. And yes your are correct that WoWS is like a Janga pile of code that would be effected if one item was removed. It just goes to show how customized WoWS is in its operations.

12 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:
  • Remove - Submarines as implemented with all their BS mechanics + protections and especially homing torps. 

I like these ideas too

My suggestions:

Remove
=== 

• Remove old WoWS servers and put in new servers. The game will improve.
  • The MM protection for new players. There is no need for this filter now. The current player population cannot support it.
  • Remove the AA load ban when matches start. Have the AA guns load like the torpedoes, DC and gunnery on ships.
  • Remove the fire ban on CV's. Let CV's catch fire like all of the other WoWS ships.
  • Remove the 10% cap on damage to DD's. 
  • Remove the team damage block.
  • Remove the fake physics in WoWS.

Ban/Never Add
===

• Doubloon special ammo
  • Missiles
  • Mines – Aerial or otherwise in random matches
  • Missiles – I want to make sure this is pointed out

Add
===

• Specific battle modes for the WoWS players and not the WoWS developers. Put subs in their own battle mode just like Airships, Asymmetric, Superships, etc. Leave Random for surface ships.
  • Have the ability to do fire damage assistant to team mate's ships that are on fire. Use your DC on their ship.
  • Put in the most popular Aslain's mods in WoWS to improve game play.
  • Put ships not played in a reserve fleet area so they do not show in the ship carousel.
  • Once a quarter give a free ship commander reset for all ships.
  • Make playing <= tier 4 ships valuable again for matches. Otherwise we should get ride of these tiers.
  • Optimize WoWS current code. It has to be a mess with all these add-ons
  • Spotter planes the ability to improve aiming hits with each salvo. Start with -3% or -4% dispersion. Then add -1% dispersion with each salvo.
  • Add fighter ace skills for fighters
  • The ability to place spotting planes into positions on the map
  • Have a commander “aim” skill

All of course is suggestions for discussion

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Remove: T11 (aka Superships)

Add: Open World game mode

Ban forever: Premium/Gold ammo 

Since I already have the Supership Conde', I'm only in agreement with the last two of your three ideas.  😉 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Take a note of that Vought OS2U Kingfisher. Those spotter planes could carry two 100 lb bombs or two 325 lb depth charges. Ships carrying said aircraft in WOWS should be able to send their spotters on two or three bombing missions per match. There were were 61 recorded attacks on enemy submarines made by US Coast Guard Kingfishers alone in WWII.

OS2U-2_Kingfisher_in_flight_1942.jpg.23ad3c956e0de997d934eebef20a7311.jpg

I like it, but ships without flight decks should have to STOP to recover their planes :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hocus4957 said:

Oh, and I'd like to be able to use my Tachibana to wreak havoc on tier X. 😁

The "Any-tier & Any-ship" mode?  🙂 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Arcusaesopi said:

I like it, but ships without flight decks should have to STOP to recover their planes 🙂

An interesting tidbit of realism.

• Like 2

Can't think of another game that would be simply improved by removing something. Carriers and subs, go. And never add them or any other new kind of class or any more cold war boats. 

Personally I hate arms race and standard battle, so I'd say bye to them as well. 

Add more and better maps and perhaps more operations. 

• Like 1