Kitakami - possible bad impact on T8 (because of MM)?

WildWind84

Ok, here I would be gratefull to see and read other's opinion on this subject. Like someone who have many T8-T10 ships, many of them cruisers or sec. build bbs, I would be very gratefull see how you all thinking about this situation? Example: Massa, sec. build, very very often ended in TX MM... 

Soon I will get my B-day coupon. Plan was to buy dubs, for dockyard or for Roma or Prinz Eugen... With Kitakami arrived, MM+2, my question is : is there any point and reasons to buy one t9 or one t8 ship?

I hope you understand my questions and sorry because my English isn't good... 

• Like 3

First of all, there won't be that many Kitakamis in game. The ship is damned expensive.

Second, the amount will drop even further once people realize how squishy the ship is. 30mm citadel armor is a joke. A Wichita can sit nose in and blast that ship with HE to kingdom come.

Third, once in battle , a Kitakami will be the first ship to be focused. People don't like subs, CVs, and those who fall for WGs scams. I know, I have the first dockayrd Puerto Rico and use the event only camo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

First of all, there won't be that many Kitakamis in game. The ship is damned expensive.

Second, the amount will drop even further once people realize how squishy the ship is. 30mm citadel armor is a joke. A Wichita can sit nose in and blast that ship with HE to kingdom come.

Third, once in battle , a Kitakami will be the first ship to be focused. People don't like subs, CVs, and those who fall for WGs scams. I know, I have the first dockayrd Puerto Rico and use the event only camo.

Most often the squishy cruisers park themselves behind a conveniently located island and start spamming HE, preferably fully smoked up as well. Is there a technique that would allow a squishy cruiser to spam waves of torps from behind the cover of some such island?

• Like 2

Thank you for all your's answers. My worry is exactly this: low concealment, undetected spamming torps to the eternity... Ironically - with that in the battle players will pray that have subs or CVs  in game (for chasing that thing)... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WildWind84 said:

Thank you for all your's answers. My worry is exactly this: low concealment, undetected spamming torps to the eternity... Ironically - with that in the battle players will pray that have subs or CVs  in game (for chasing that thing)... 

I see... so releasing the Kitakami is a clever WG ploy to make the subs and CV's more popular.

What a dastardly plan...

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1. Kitakami is super expensive so I would worry about many of them
2. It's literally dogwater, not good at all you'll be fine

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Aragathor said:

I think we gonna see LOTS of 'em.

Then here and there.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Aragathor said:

That said, Im sure someone will go straight cash (Premium time and converting XP -> FXP and doing RB resets even if they have to buy credits) for it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

That said, Im sure someone will go straight cash (Premium time and converting XP -> FXP and doing RB resets even if they have to buy credits) for it. 

There will be lots of whales in them for sure, I bet half of them will end up being first blood however.

• Like 2

Here's something to remember when you encounter a panic over a ship like this.  You will not be facing this ship alone.  Battles are waged by every ship on a team against the other ships on the other team.  Most are built to survive in that environment, but some are not.

Kitakami is one such ship.  It is designed to do one thing only, and to do it in very specific circumstances that are not common.  On average, any T8+ DD and Sub will spot this ship if it operates openly from the front.  If it is at the rear, it doesn't have the range to hit anything but CVs and BBs, and has a very good chance of hitting teammates.  If alone, it is going to likely be engaged by something that can sink it before it can sink them.  If there are CVs or Hybrids in the match, it will die.  It must function as a DD without the things a DD relies upon to survive.

So yeah.  Don't let this one ship stop you from playing a ship you like.  It may be on your team.  You may not see one in a battle.  If there is one on the enemy team, you may not be the one facing it.  If you do face it, it may die before you ever fire on it.  If you do face it, you can probably sink it in one or two shots.  Only if the person playing the Kita gets everything right and you don't will they be a serious threat, and that for only the moment that lasts for.  Don't lose out on the enjoyment of playing a ship you want to sail because of something like this, or really any ship in the game.  Learn your ship, and you can face anything in the game (except if you are in a Kitakami or Arkansas against a CV, and I'd say the Arkansas has a better chance).

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Is there a technique that would allow a squishy cruiser to spam waves of torps from behind the cover of some such island?

WeeGee: sounds like you want more hybrid cruisers!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, WildWind84 said:

With Kitakami arrived, MM+2, my question is : is there any point and reasons to buy one t9 or one t8 ship?

Kitakami is a strict torpedo based boat. Torpedo threat doesn't scale the same way as guns, T8 ships are much more nimble and smaller than T10 ships, thus dodging torps is much easier. Kitakami is a lesser threat for lower tiered ships... fighting multiple Kitakamis would be an advantage for you if you were using a lower tiered ship, almost any other ship would be more dangerous for you. 

• Like 2

First of all - THANK YOU ALL for your's observations and all here. I will have on mind all what is write  here, but for now I think when coupon arrives - I will just hold on dubs while I will see how it will all works with Kitakami. For now have many t8-t10 bbs (with sec. build or without), cruisers and some of dds so I will wait with possible new ship. Jut will buy dubs with coupon and wait. Thank you all for everything 🙂 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 1:58 PM, Aragathor said:

Thank you for all that 👍 I will honestly check up Wichita, wasn't even in my plans 🙃

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 2:32 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

I see... so releasing the Kitakami is a clever WG ploy to make the subs and CV's more popular.

What a dastardly plan...

Possible not on purpose, but... hey every decisions (good or bad) have - impact and conseqensis... And this could be one of them... 🤣

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

Many of them... And I am not sure about date of Kitakami ends and date of -50% discount on premium time, but if it in the same time - I can see without problem how to get him even if you have't near enought FXP, dubs and premium time and coal and steel... It is allways possible buy...🤐

• Like 1

Possible good impact is on BB overpopulation 👌 Got two first time out. 

I comped out CV who dropped helpful fighters regularly. 

On 12/12/2023 at 1:24 PM, WildWind84 said:

Ok, here I would be gratefull to see and read other's opinion on this subject. Like someone who have many T8-T10 ships, many of them cruisers or sec. build bbs, I would be very gratefull see how you all thinking about this situation? Example: Massa, sec. build, very very often ended in TX MM... 

Soon I will get my B-day coupon. Plan was to buy dubs, for dockyard or for Roma or Prinz Eugen... With Kitakami arrived, MM+2, my question is : is there any point and reasons to buy one t9 or one t8 ship?

I hope you understand my questions and sorry because my English isn't good... 

Dont have/know Roma but I guess Eugen is pretty good, a T8 with heal! I have the sistership Mainz and that ship is awesome. Im not to worried about Kita yet since it has been nerfed a lot. Seen a lot of Super Unicums try it and they seem to all hate it and call it the worse ship in the game. Playing a T8 I would much rather fear the other T10 you might face, they are no picnick.

But thats life for T8 premiums...... unless you play Asashio

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

unless you play Asashio

Some years ago now, on EU forum, there was this player (forget his name, doesn't matter anyway) who defended the Asashio as being the greatest DD. This guy couldn't praise it enough all the while all others responding attacked him for being entirely wrong. All I did, not knowing the Asashio, was to defend this Asashio lover. What happens? The Asashio fan gifted me one. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Some years ago now, on EU forum, there was this player (forget his name, doesn't matter anyway) who defended the Asashio as being the greatest DD. This guy couldn't praise it enough all the while all others responding attacked him for being entirely wrong. All I did, not knowing the Asashio, was to defend this Asashio lover. What happens? The Asashio fan gifted me one. 

The one major weakness Asashio has is that the torps on only effective against CV's and BB's. In this regard, the situation was better back then years ago that what's it's now post multiple reworks and botched implementations as the game has changed so much (for the worse). Another one which hits me hard is that Asashio does not seem to do well in operations, in part because of the torp limitations.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Best DD in the game mate, craps on T10ś

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 9:25 AM, Andrewbassg said:

I think we gonna see LOTS of 'em.

Then here and there.

He says about an event that can't really be whaled....

• Haha 2

On 12/12/2023 at 2:58 PM, Aragathor said:

Based on my initial random battle experience in the Kitakami, there's no good reason to take fire in a Kitakami. If it happens to you a lot, you're playing it wrong.

It's reasonably fast and has great concealment for a cruiser. Read the map, pay close attention to enemy radars, and stay mobile. Sometimes a DD or CV spots you, and then you pop the smoke, maybe pop the boost, and run.

My suspicion is that it will end up a ship with extreme difference in the performance of bad players versus unicums. It has the potential to be very strong when played well, and this makes it genuinely fun and exciting to play for a good player.

...and maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think it may be fine investment for the Research Points. On top of Defence it is 96 thousand Research Points, while offering a unique playstyle unlike the other tier 10's in the Research Bureau that cost around 60 thousand. I guess the question here is how much you value Elli, Ferruccio and Defence that are forced into the bundle.

Edited by asalonen
  • Like 1