Kitakami First Impressions Video from PQ

Frostbow

Potato Quality recently released a first impressions video on the Kitakami.

https://youtu.be/08edpUmeGXM

• AA Defense is at 9. This cruiser is literally CV food. 
  • Huge citadel also. 
  • Torpedoes can take time to reload.

I can get this ship on Wednesday, but just like the last time I gave it some thought, I still do not see the reason why. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

As PQ says late in the video, it is an "ultra-gimmick ship."  With the number of resources required to get the Kitakami, for me at least, I would rather have a ship that is a much better all-around performer.  Thanks for the video and link @Frostbow.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

I still do not see the reason why. 

You have everything else and way too many resources sitting around. 

might consider going for Defence, but not Kitakami. No ship’s worth that price imo, and especially not Kitakami right now. There really isn’t anything it does well, that can’t be done by something else even better.

You can build up a lot of torps, but it takes ~5 minutes to do so. Jinan’s a much better torp cruiser by a long shot, and even Yodo might be better if you want to play a cruiser with lots of torps. Not to mention something like Yueyang, Jager, or Benham.

If you already have a bunch of torps queued up, it only takes a couple seconds to swap between the two modes, one with really bad damage but can hit anything, and one with okay damage but can only hit BBs and CVs. So if you spend a couple minutes waiting, you can swap to whichever torps are better for your situation.

It’s stealthy for a cruiser, but it’s not really a cruiser. It’s a destroyer with a citadel taking a cruiser slot, that gets out spotted by every destroyer. And outgunned by most/all of them too…

AA? You’re joking, right?

It’s got a full speed smoke like Yolo Emilio, but you can’t use it as well as Yolo because of the long torp reload. And the giant citadel and lower health. If you try it, one of you is probably going to die. You’d better hope it’s the BB.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

As PQ says late in the video, it is an "ultra-gimmick ship."  With the number of resources required to get the Kitakami, for me at least, I would rather have a ship that is a much better all-around performer.  Thanks for the video and link @Frostbow.

Agreed, i said i would wait for the first review to make my decision, now that it is out, i have, not worth getting it for me, if i want something like this, i will probably get Paolo Emilio, much cheaper and better looking.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

I would rather have a ship that is a much better all-around performer. 

I agree. And in PQ's video, he featured 3 battles, but there's no game/battle with CVs yet.

2 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

might consider going for Defence, but not Kitakami.

Maltese Knight has released his review of the Defence. I'll be checking other reviews as well, just to have a wider view of how the cruiser performs in a variety of conditions.

https://youtu.be/Xgy-z2VbP3E

3 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Jinan’s a much better torp cruiser by a long shot, and even Yodo might be better if you want to play a cruiser with lots of torps. Not to mention something like Yueyang, Jager, or Benham.

This is exactly why I am still not convinced of the value Kitakami brings or offers to the experience I am looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Alas, I can 100% Gar-un-tee you that the nanosecond that ship is available, every whale or collector or torpedo enthusiast will donate plasma to own it......

The nanosecond.  We play with a collector and well, Picoseconds are a more accurate time measure for all collectors.  One or two of them on Discord playing OPs or ASB's can't contain the wait and are really, really frustrated right now !  

100% of them without will pull that trigger.......in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...........Wednesday no matter where in the world they live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

During her long development cycle, I was convinced that Kitakami was a publicity stunt and would never be released.

Looks like l was half right. Even without the ridiculous cost, this ship would be a hard pass.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Asym said:

Alas, I can 100% Gar-un-tee you that the nanosecond that ship is available, every whale or collector or torpedo enthusiast will donate plasma to own it......

🤣 😂 😅  The way you put things.

Want a job?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frostbow said:

Maltese Knight has released his review of the Defence. I'll be checking other reviews as well, just to have a wider view of how the cruiser performs in a variety of conditions.

Hmmm.....  looks interesting.... tbh, I'm not really a fan of big guns on cruiser hulls, but this peaked my interest.

2 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Jinan’s a much better torp cruiser by a long shot, and even Yodo might be better if you want to play a cruiser with lots of torps.

Pretty much this. Other than collector reasons..... I see no benefit getting it.

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Asym said:

Alas, I can 100% Gar-un-tee you that the nanosecond that ship is available, every whale or collector or torpedo enthusiast will donate plasma to own it...

The worst part of that sentence, is not that I agree with it, but that I read it in a Cajun accent. I'm more of a Stalekracker fan than Justin Wilson's though.

As for the ship at hand. Saw a German CC play it. Looked like garbage, nothing special and he had to constantly run away. Defence is the place to stop, Malta's review showcased the ship enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do we have somewhere a full event and stages breakdown?  This is the closest I've got...

....but its not complete. And I don't really get it, if one gets the previous stages for, lets say RB, then whats the ship's price? The completed stages gets deducted? Also can the resources be combed? I mean for Defence...

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Asym said:

The nanosecond.  We play with a collector and well, Picoseconds are a more accurate time measure for all collectors.  One or two of them on Discord playing OPs or ASB's can't contain the wait and are really, really frustrated right now !  

100% of them without will pull that trigger.......in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...........Wednesday no matter where in the world they live.

I mean, fools and money are easily parted.

At least WG is offering an objectively silly bad ship for that much resources.

They could offer an absurdly overpowered ship for that price...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Do we have somewhere a full event and stages breakdown?  This is the closest I've got...

....but its not complete. And I don't really get it, if one gets the previous stages for, lets say RB, then whats the ship's price? The completed stages gets deducted? Also can the resources be combed? I mean for Defence...

The easiest way to explain it is to break it down:

-You pick and choose what you pay per each stage. So you can buy a stage for coal, the next for premium time, and the next for RPs.

-At specific stages you get rewards (3, 8, 16, 40, 80, 100).

-There is no requirement to use only one specific resource.

The price per stage is:

• 2,400 Research Points OR
  • 1,700 Steel OR
  • 19,000 Coal OR
  • 60 days of World of Warships Premium Time (up to 16 stages)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Soo.....if I have 43.773 RB points that will get me 18 stages. And then I need "only" 10.200 steel OR 114.000 coal, right? And there are no other rewards, right?

Edit: Lolz...I did the full math and I can get da Kituakamo cap_haloween.gif

... just da ship not the whole shebang, tho...

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Soo.....if I have 43.773 RB points that will get me 18 stages. And then I need "only" 10.200 steel OR 114.000 coal, right? And there are no other rewards, right?

Edit: Lolz...I did the full math and I can get da Kituakamo cap_haloween.gif

... just da ship not the whole shebang, tho...

Same here, but i decided to keep my resources, for that price, i expect a ship to be good, maybe even slightly OP. Smolensk B was totally worth it for me, since i didn't have the original Smolensk, this one is not. Defence looks not too bad, but still way too expensive, i will wait a year, when she comes back for coal, i might get her.

Edited by UnrepentantSinner
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Smolensk B was totally worth it for me, since i didn't have the original Smolensk, this is

Yep. I didn't had enough coal to get her. Usually collect "Try your lux" not coal. That bite me in the.......yeah.

14 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Defence looks not too bad

I have 37 k steel and not much to spend on so, i'm gonna get her.

Btw I officially propose to rename the main protagonist to Kittycamee cap_haloween.gif

......coz she has the cute factor but also the harmlessness one 6FE6656A-2569-4D5C-A445-EB63E019A1B5.gif

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

too expensive, i will wait a year, when she comes back for coal, i might get her.

Two years I believe I read.  Imagine if you will, the internal conflict collectors have....  Two years is a Marvel Universe eternity.....  But, for the rest of us, whom really think the price simply doesn't make sense, as better said above from far more knowledgeable people than I am:  not value added.

So, for the lessor ships, we'll see.  And, it makes no sense they didn't include credits in the payment puzzle....I have well over 2 billion and..........?????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"We got rid of friendly fire so everything is set to re-release Kitakami!" - Developer A

"Er, but the ship still has some problems with flooding the space with torpedoes.  We can't put it out...the players would roast us on a spit!" - Developer B

* One month later *

"Okay!  The delay system on loading the torpedoes is in.  We also gave it smoke, and quick-firing main batteries to tempt the player to strip away that unbelievable Concealment Fred threw in without anyone noticing.  Thanks, Fred...we love ya!  Now, we can release it to the player base!" - Developer A

"But...the ship is barely able to scuff the canopy of aircraft, and we still have that problem with Accounting with how we're going to charge players!  The Boss said he never wants to see these in his game again, and only relented when we promised him it would be only a handful in the players' hands! " - Developer B.

* Two months later *

"Where is that Kitakami we bent the game to put in?" - Marketing SubManager A

"Well, we had this crazy idea that would drain as many resources from any players actually crazy enough to get it that they wouldn't be able to buy anything else in the game for years, but Accounting said that was going to throw off -their- plans for expected income next year...." Developer A

"Enough!  Release it and don't keep giving me excuses, or I leak that little incident with the Missouri secret credit bonus you tried to sneak into the last time we revised that." - Marketing

And on such decisions does the wheel of history turn...

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

Well, we had this crazy idea that would drain as many resources from any players actually crazy enough to get it

There are some people in this game with so many resources that Kitakami doesn't touch the sides. 

5 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

"We got rid of friendly fire so everything is set to re-release Kitakami!" - Developer A

I understand you’re making a joke, but let’s be honest: we all know the real reason friendly fire was disabled was to keep players from sinking friendly subs with depth charges.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

I understand you’re making a joke, but let’s be honest: we all know the real reason friendly fire was disabled was to keep players from sinking friendly subs with depth charges.

Actually, if memory serves, the FF removal happened right before Kita went into testing.

9 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Which is a pity, because it would have enabled easy identification of griefers for EULA-violator account deletion. Shooting your own CV could be passed off as a lark gone wrong - "I only meant to scare him, not Devstrike him". Depth charging your own side's sub at the start of a battle would be impossible to pass off as an accident. 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Haha 2

The Kitakami just looks kind of boring which is a shame because I love the Kuma.  Most definitely not interested even though I could probably scratch up enough resources to get it. 

I do want the Elli and am thinking about the  Ferruccio.  If I am reading the chart right, it will cost a total of 304k coal. That will get me both ships and whatever other stuff (if any) in between. Does that seem right to you guys? 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Like 2

I'm not saying the ship is good -- that depends on how you drive her more than the ship itself.  But I have talked to people who like her.  She doesn't play like anything else -- not a DD or CL.  And reload management is a thing, not just a wait-a-while.  IOW, she plays like nothing else in the game, yet she can be fun.

To be fair, as many as like her hate her, maybe partly because of the cost.  I mean, The Fox and the Grapes anyone?

11 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The Kitakami just looks kind of boring which is a shame because I love the Kuma.  Most definitely not interested even though I could probably scratch up enough resources to get it. 

I do want the Elli and am thinking about the  Ferruccio.  If I am reading the chart right, it will cost a total of 304k coal. That will get me both ships and whatever other stuff (if any) in between. Does that seem right to you guys? 

Correct. 57.000 coal for the satan crates + 95.000 coal for the Elli + 152.000 coal for the Ferruccio = 304.000 Coal. I might get the Elli, even though it's a bad price, Ferruccio is much too expensive, if you don't pick it up on your way to Defence.

• Like 1