Awful, useless, and pointless premiums

Darlith

4 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Huron is a bit pointless, tbh. Much better Tech Tree ships abound. Can we have a Mahan type as a Prem, WG? That's a great ship. 

Not really, she's quite a bully against other tier 7 DDs. I'd check her out a bit more if I were you.

4 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Why would you ever need an IFHE Mahan to bully same tier DDs?

I think he meant IFHE Mahan for T7 ranked, which can pen 26mm armor on BBs.

Edited by GMMF

Just now, GMMF said:

I think he meant IFHE Mahan for T7 ranked, which can pen 26mm BBs.

Oh that makes sense

5 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Not really, she's quite a bully against other tier 7 DDs. I'd check her out a bit more if I were you.

I will try and remember to do so, but she always struck me as the ship WG cobbled together as an apology to LWM, rather than anything great. Tier VII is a strong tier for DDs and I do have lots of favourites already,  but it wouldn't hurt to try it out. 

5 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Why would you ever need an IFHE Mahan to bully same tier DDs?

I need it to bully their support, then the DDs are in trouble.

Honestly, I won't explain them all but I have a loooooooong list that I've earned over the years. These are either bad premiums that aren't worth playing, premiums whose play style is either boring or bad, or I just have way better ships that do the same thing. This are ships that I personally dislike, including some good ones. Call me crazy if you wish, I just didn't like the ships for one reason or another.

Yudachi(from this years santa crates), Nueve De Julio(also from this years crates), Shinonome, Yudachi, Yahagi, both Tachibanas,  Ishizuchi, Tokachi, Albany, WV 41, Oklahoma, Hill, Monaghan, Marblehead, Texas, Sims, Benham, Black, Varyag, October Revolution, Novorossiysk, DMPZ, Campbeltown, Dido, London, Duke of York, Cossack, Siroco, Dupliex, Strasbourg, Leone, Gorizia, Anshan, Mysore, Huron, Rio De Janeiro, Canaris, Blyskawica

Top is Leone without question. She's bad and you have to be a masochist in order to enjoy her.

Edited by MBT808

12 minutes ago, MBT808 said:

Honestly, I won't explain them all but I have a loooooooong list that I've earned over the years. These are either bad premiums that aren't worth playing, premiums whose play style is either boring or bad, or I just have way better ships that do the same thing.

Yudachi(from this years santa crates), Nueve De Julio(also from this years crates), Shinonome, Yudachi, Yahagi, both Tachibanas,  Ishizuchi, Tokachi, Albany, WV 41, Oklahoma, Hill, Monaghan, Marblehead, Texas, Sims, Benham, Black, Varyag, October Revolution, Novorossiysk, DMPZ, Campbeltown, Dido, London, Duke of York, Cossack, Siroco, Dupliex, Strasbourg, Leone, Gorizia, Anshan, Mysore, Huron, Rio De Janeiro, Canaris, Blyskawica

Top is Leone without question. She's bad and you have to be a masochist in order to enjoy her.

Cossack? The most potent T8 knife-fighter destroyer?

• Like 1

Just now, Project45_Opytny said:

Cossack? The most potent T8 knife-fighter destroyer?

I dislike her personally. I acknowledge she is decent in the right situation and can do very well. You'll notice that Benham is there too, a DD many consider overpowered. I don't like passive torp boats.

This is a list of ships I Personally dislike. That includes some ships that are considered good.

5 hours ago, MBT808 said:

Call me crazy if you wish, I just didn't like the ships for one reason or another.

(...) Cossack,

Crazy

5 hours ago, MBT808 said:

Call me masochist...

image.thumb.png.7e6334f784e1e4e045e330c6c206cbe0.png

And now she's finally getting DCs!!! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Call me masochist...

Leone is gud bote. Nothing like smacking an enemy DD in the face with 8 guns and then breaking contact before they can utilize their DPM advantage. Also the USN smoke is super nice when you div up with cruisers. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MBT808 said:

October Revolution, Cossack, Dupliex, Huron, Rio De Janeiro

I know it's your opinion but that's crazy

• Like 2

9 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

I will try and remember to do so, but she always struck me as the ship WG cobbled together as an apology to LWM, rather than anything great. Tier VII is a strong tier for DDs and I do have lots of favourites already,  but it wouldn't hurt to try it out. 

She's very good for a free ship WG gave out, well worth it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Scharnhorst'43: Not terrible, but do we need another Scharnhorst? That's worse than the main one in some key areas?

If that's the price we pay for a free Scharnhorst, then so be it. 

19 hours ago, MBT808 said:

Honestly, I won't explain them all but I have a loooooooong list that I've earned over the years. These are either bad premiums that aren't worth playing, premiums whose play style is either boring or bad, or I just have way better ships that do the same thing. This are ships that I personally dislike, including some good ones. Call me crazy if you wish, I just didn't like the ships for one reason or another.

Not sure how useful the Tokachi is, but I at least appreciate how it differs from the other Japanese cruisers, and for coop is does have nice torps at least. I love Monaghan with the torp loadout, but again I do play co-op mostly and torps are king there. 

The weird one for me is I know Duke of York is often considered weaker then the KGV, but I perform so much better in the DoY and cannot explain why.

9 minutes ago, Darlith said:

The weird one for me is I know Duke of York is often considered weaker then the KGV, but I perform so much better in the DoY and cannot explain why.

she has better pen angles on her AP, it does make a difference. Though she and KGV are kinda meh in general PvP, basically worthless in ranked where Brawling BBs reign supreme.

13 minutes ago, MBT808 said:

she has better pen angles on her AP, it does make a difference. Though she and KGV are kinda meh in general PvP, basically worthless in ranked where Brawling BBs reign supreme.

That might do it, didn't know about the pen angles.

On 12/7/2023 at 6:30 PM, thornzero said:

I got a Hornet from my first twitch mystery drop and I only tried a cv once on pts and disliked it tremendously. But I did get my snowflake it in to-day.

I got a Hornet from a rental mission for 24 hours or something like that. I like carriers, a lot. I'm a fervent defender of carriers. I tried Hornet just once, and I was left with such a disappointed feeling that I never touched it again. 

On 12/7/2023 at 8:01 PM, ArIskandir said:

And here lies the root of the heresy... 

Tbh Bearn is indeed not a good pick for Coop

I think I could make mine work if only I could get the hang of those %%%%%%% AP bombs.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:12 PM, Wulf_Ace said:

I found Aquila pretty bad and ussless, got it from some container.

I got mine from a Christmas container last year. She does one thing extraordinarily well, and that is she farms citadels against red bot Aquilas (which co-op matches her against more often than not). It's not unheard of to get 10-15 citadels in a single pass, and I've got as high as 19 on occasions. She naturally also farms rocket hits, so when I am looking to complete a citadels-from-any source mission or a CV any-ribbons mission, Aquila is my go-to.

On 12/8/2023 at 5:13 PM, HogHammer said:

Awful, Useless, and pointless premiums in my port are the ones I don't play until I need to burn snowflakes off.

I play most of my premiums for their flakes, mostly because co-op is forgiving. The really egregious ones get "played" with bonus flakes. 

On 12/8/2023 at 6:18 PM, Nevermore135 said:

Her shells come with parachutes as well, IIRC. And worse of all, she has absolutely no ASW. 

She's getting depth charges in a couple of patches, as is Okhotnik.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:02 AM, ArIskandir said:

Not exactly a clone. You lose 1 gun but get better HP and Concealment iirc. It's been a long time since I played Farragut.

As I remember it, she's what used to be called a C-hull Farragut before they streamlined the tech trees a few years back. Farragut C was a non-obligatory sidegrade - you didn't have to research it in order to get to the Mahan - and IIRC she lost the fifth gun in order to pick up a bit of AA and the ability to mount DFAA. 

On 12/14/2023 at 4:48 PM, tocqueville8 said:

Yahagi, Siroco, Huron, Haida (yup: bought it, never played it), Mikoyan, Ark Royal, Anshan, Strasbourg (at least Dunkerque is recent at her tier), Oklahoma, Canarias...

If you didn't play the Haida, you can't say whether it sucks. Full stop.

Also, I think you meant to say that Dunkerque is decent at her tier. She's definitely not recent - she's been around for much longer than her sister. I would be having words with autocorrect if I were you.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Also, I think you meant to say that Dunkerque is decent at her tier. [...] I would be having words with autocorrect if I were you.

That's a typo from the keys being close to each other: what would the autocorrect do, since both words exist?

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

If you didn't play the Haida, you can't say whether it sucks. Full stop.

Of course I've played the Haida, for a total of...27 games, which is extremely low for me for a ship that wasn't a free giveaway, especially since I bought her years ago, with far fewer premiums for competition. I never said she "sucks" but, compared to her reputation (which got her withdrawn from sale, eventually), I found her useless. Feel free to have a different opinion: after all you've played her...3 games, wow.

Overall, way to be obnoxious over nothing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tocqueville8 said:

Of course I've played the Haida, for a total of...27 games

I'm obnoxious? Don't you try that on me. YOUR EXACT WORDS were "Bought it, never played it". 

If you actually did play it, why say that you didn't? Why tell a lie, deliberate or inadvertent, and then try to play gotcha when called on it?

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Haha 1

to be honest any ship can be good or bad . it depends on the players skill 

if your a new player , play a ship you like more and when you have a better skill level over time then go back to try the ships you firstly didnt like  and see if it preforms better 

example : non prem ship emerald , after a year or 2 go back play her and you will find she plays better than she did before 

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I'm obnoxious? Don't you try that on me. YOUR EXACT WORDS were "Bought it, never played it". 

If you actually did play it, why say that you didn't? Why tell a lie, deliberate or inadvertent, and then try to play gotcha when called on it?

This isn't a "gotcha", you're the one who initiated this interaction. I'm not...I dunno...laying rhetorical traps on the forum to confuse people, if that's even a thing. Jeez...

You could've simply asked "how do you know the Haida is awful/useless/pointless, if you've never played her?", and I would've explained that I only (almost only? can't be sure 100%) played her shortly after buying her, to try her out, didn't like her, and have basically never played her since (two and a half years ago), unlike for tons of other premiums. Do I have to write something like that every time, lest someone takes a simple "bought it, never played it" too literally, and gets upset about it?

Would it even make sense to have buyer's remorse before actually trying the purchased product? Why not give people the benefit of the doubt?

"Full stop"? "Tell a lie"? Acting smug about a typo? We had some resident pedants on the EU forum, too, and I did not enjoy those conversations. You're muted now. Bye.

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 2:17 AM, MBT808 said:

both Tachibanas,

Just a few responses;

Smith is actually the better torp strafer, but the Tachi's are still a hoot.

WV 41,

Love it because it got me Dusty Rhodes; pretty much the only captain who looks like he's actually working; as opposed to dressing up to receive an admiral.

Oklahoma,

Yeah; ridiculously slow, in many ways, but I live there, and wrote a report about it once.

Marblehead,

Because it survived ABDA, made it all the way home, basically without a rudder, and survived the war. Actually prefer it and Murmansk over Omaha.

Texas,

Because I been to it numerous times, including at Gulf Coast in Galveston, because it used to be a no flyzone before WG had its attack of the stupids, and because its history.

Campbeltown,

Agonizingly underarmed; but oh, the range on those torpedoes...

Leone,

One of those ships that seem universally hated; that pretty much means I'll love it, due to being a contrarian; or just because 'reasons.' No ASW? It's got eight guns; shoot the damn sub.

Gorizia,

Until I finally started up the Italian cruiser tree, (still only at T6,) my highest tier cruiser. Would rather play it than Montezooliwhatzit.

Blyskawica,

Ahh.. How the mighty have fallen...

Used to be considered evil incarnate, before the Dark Times; before the OWSF rework, and the first skill rework.

I've been called a masochist before.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:42 AM, Silence_CN said:

PS : Monaghan is a cool ship to play with A hull.

That the one that is still basically a DD, and not a DDAA?

Usually play it with TRB, which can still be equipped, iirc.